bond

I-134 - Co-sponsor's income???

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys!

I have some questions regarding the I-134 form filling out by the co-sponsor. My fiancee, who is the my sponsor is a student and didn’t work last year and doesn't has any income. Her dad will be the co-sponsor and he fulfills easily the 125% of poverty line.

I still have some questions regarding the I-134 form.

Question 1 on the I-134 form:

My fiancees dad got his U.S. citizenship through naturalization. On his certificate of naturalization there are two numbers. On on the top left side writen in red and it consists of 8 numbers and one below that writen in black consisting of one letter and 8 numbers (it says JNS Registration No.:). I think it is the second one (writen in black), just wanted to double check.

Question 2 on the I-134 form:“I am XX years of age and have resided in the United States since….”

Should I write down the date of his naturalization, the date when he got his green card or the date he entered the United States for the first time (he can’t remember the exact date of his first arrival in the Staates just the year and month)?

Question 7 on the I-134 form:!!!

My fiancees dad is self employed (one-man business – truck driver). He did his income tax return together with his wife (but his wife is not working any more since August 2008) . Therefore the income on form 1040 is as follow:

“Line 7: Wages, salaries, tips, etc.:” $ 12,724 --- this is the amount his wife made

“Line 8a: taxable interest:” $277

“Line 9a: Ordinary dividends:” $110

“Line 12: Business income:” $83,726 --- this is the amount he made with his one man business

“Line 17: Rentel real estate, royalties etc.:” $-11,707

“Line 22: total income:” $85,130

They have two dependend children mentioned in the form 1040 (my fiancee and her sister).

Should I just write the amount mentioned in line 12 $83,726 and add his wife to the children as dependent on him?

I also have some attachement to form 1040 (Schedule C , Schedule E, Schedule SE and some others). On Schedule SE under line 2 you can find the net profit of $83,726 (business income). Line 4 states the “net earnings from self-employment”: $77,321. Is this maybe the right number?

Should I have two co-sponsors him and his wife? Should each of them fill out an I-134 form? They have two dependent children therefore his salary ($83,726) would be enough to fulfill the 125% of proverty line. Hers wouldn’t be enough ($12,724). Or is their both income mentioned in line 22 of $85,130 enough and should they just fill out one I-134 form with both names on it?

Any recommendations how to fill out question 7 with the correct amount of income? What would be the easiest way?

Question 8 on the I-134 form:

On the income tax return statement it is mentioned that both of his children are dependent on him and his wife for support. How do I know if they are wholly or partially dependent? My fiancee is still going to school, her sister just graduaded, but doesn’t has a job yet.

Question 9 on the I-134 form “I have previously submitted affidavit of support for the following person:”

My fiancees dad had to submit affidavit of support 25 years ago when some of his family members wanted to visit him from his home country Poland. He did that a couples of times back than. I guess it was nececarry due to the Cold War and Poland was under Russian control at this time. It was always just for a visiting visa for a couple of weeks. So it was not the same affidavit of support like the I-134 now. Should I write all his family members down? Also he doesn’t remember the exact date any more cause it is so long ago. Or is this question just regarding to I-134, affidavit of support? Should I just write down “none” cause it is the first time he is filling out the first time an I-134 form for a K1 visa? Just want it to do it the right way, therefore I am asking.

Question 10 on the I-134 form: “I have submitted a visa petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on behalf of the following person.”

I would write down “none”. Just when my fiancee fills out the I-134 form as the sponsor, she would have to write down my name.

Specially Question 7 and to figure out the right income is confusing me.

Thanks for your help!

- Adam

Edited by bond

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
can somebody help me with question no.7 that I posted above? I don't know what to write down. If someone does the answers for the other questions, I would appreciate any help.

thanks

I would state "his" income as the figure from line 12. Please note that this would not always be the answer for the self-employed. For an unmarried person, you would use line 22. I take it the interest income, dividents and real estate loss are probably from joint accounts/holdings. Since the income is well above what is required, I would forsee no problems.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

can somebody help me with question no.7 that I posted above? I don't know what to write down. If someone does the answers for the other questions, I would appreciate any help.

thanks

OK, I haven't got any experience of completing one of these (yet!) but looking at the requirements for a K1 visa, which I'm assuming is what you're petitioning for, you cannot consider combined incomes.

So I would go with the amount that he is claiming as gross business income on line 12 and not the line 22 income. This is especially true now that his wife has stopped working in practice, as she is now wholly dependent on him. And if his daughters have no other source of income, then they too are wholly dependent on him.

I would put the date that he first became a LPR in the US, which would be the date on his GC. I appreciate that his immigration experience was probably very different from what it is today, but we won't become 'permanently resident' in the US until we have received our conditional GCs. Point is, he's been here a while now and you can document his LPR status through his GC.

As for the certificate number, I'd guess the number in red is the actual certificate number, the JNS registration no. is his number. I would write 12345678/ 98765432 on that line so they can reference either, whichever they need.

Don't know about question 9, I would get advice from proper channels about that.

Question 10, correct. He isn't petitioning for anyone, so write none.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.