STL_HCMC

HCMC - Single Status Certification

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

I just received a reply from the US Consulate in HCMC regarding my email requesting information about the single status certification for BOTH the beneficiary and petitioner. Below is my original email and their reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

SUBJECT: Single Status Certification (K-1 visa)

To Whom It May Concern:

Question #1: Is a "Single Status Certification Document" required for both the beneficiary AND the U.S. Citizen Petitioner for the K-1 visa application?

Question #2: If such single status certification is required of the U.S . Citizen Petitioner, can you please instruct me on the proper place to obtain such single status certification document while I'm living/working in HCMC, Vietnam?

Question #3: The completed and certified single status certification document given to my fiancee by the officials in her registered ward office is titled:

"GIẤY XÁC NHẬN TÌNH TRẠNG HÔN NHÂN (Ðể dùng ở nước ngoài)"

Is this the correct document needed for single status certification for the beneficiary and the K-1 visa application?

Best Regards,

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry. Single Status Certification is no longer required of the beneficiary and the petitioner of a fiancee visa case.

Please do not delete your original inquiry with all correspondence if you have further inquiries.

Sincerely,

Information Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Consulate General HCMC

So is the example packet 4 (i.e. Topic: HCMC Packets Scanned) outdated with its request for:

"11. A typed single status statement certified by the local authorities for all female applicants age 18 and over and all male applicants age 20 and over who are single, divorced or widowed."

We already obtained the single status document for my fiancee, but I'm thinking about skipping the one for myself. I've NEVER been married and neither has my fiancee.

Just an update on the official word from the consulate!

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok, 2 cents time... :reading:

Since this topic showed up, I've been discussing it with my stepmom, who is Vietnamese and has been here for about 16 months now, and this is what she tells me: get one for each of you. I've already had Nhu get hers. It may not be required for the interview, but it is definitely a requirement for a Dam Hoi/Dam Cuoi (engagement party)...in some places. That is, if the party is in a smaller town, the local police come by to check out the validity of the party and if the Single Staus cert isn't shown for both of them, the party is over. But that also goes for bigger towns with parties in bigger ballrooms, but not smaller restaurants or homes. Sound a little confusing yet? :wacko: In any case, looking at the time and costs involved in obtaining one, it's worth it...I'd really hate not to have the photos of the Dam Hoi/Dam Cuoi at the interview as that is pretty good proof of an ongoing relationship. Phai khong?

Our K1 Timeline

03.11 - 4.10.2005 - Met on vacation in Vietnam

10.25 - 11.19.2005 - Returned to Vietnam & got engaged 11.1.05

12.29.2005 - I-129F Sent

01.04.2006 - I-129F NOA1/Receipt and Case Number

03.23.2006 - NOA2

04.05.2006 - Rec'd @ NVC

04.07.2006 - Left for HCMC

04.08.2006 - e-file in HCMC

05.10.2006 - HCMC sends out packet 3

06.02.2006 - Rec'd packet 3

06.05.2006 - sent forms back to HCMC

07.17.2006 - called and got Interview date

07.20.2006 - Rec'd packet 4

08.10.2006 - ***INTERVIEW*** - Blue slip

08.11.2006 - Went to embassy with add'l evidence - Green Slip

03.23.2007 - both of us interviewed and ....PASSED

03.24.2007 - Picked up VISA!!!!!

04.11.2007 - Got Married!

07.18.2007 - Mailed AOS paperwork

08.28.2007 - RFE

09.18.2007 - Mailed back add'l paperwork

10.12.2007 - EAD card issued

11.14.2007 - notified by phone of Interview in 2 days!

11.16.2007 - INTERVIEW (RFE given for add'l evidences..again!)

12.06.2007 - Dropped off evidences at USCIS office

12.18.2007 - I485 Card Production Ordered

12.29.2007 - Card Rec'd!!!

11.19.2009 - I-751 filed for lifting conditions

11.20.2009 - Issued NOA

01.22.2010 - photo and fingerprints

02.03.2010 - lifting conditions APPROVED!!

02.09.2010 - card rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

??????????? - All of our lives together to figure out the rest ;)

Timeline

Trust the email?Would you print and bring it to the interview instead of your Single Status Certificate?

Your choice!!!

My vote: Get the dawn Certificate and don't even think twice about it.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

What Icarus said is new to me but knowing the Viet Cong, they would do anything. As as far as the Single Status Certificate is concerend, Loan did one for herself, it was the "GIẤY XÁC NHẬN TÌNH TRẠNG HÔN NHÂN (Ðể dùng ở nước ngoài)" just like what STL_HCMC mentioned. I did not do one for myself since my pettition for was K1 visa, not K3. However, at the time of the interview, Loan's Singe Status Cert. was given back to her. The translator told Loan it was not needed. However, it has always been my way that "better to have more than less". Since you are already spending time, engery and money into this matter, why not go the extra mile to get you that "peace of mind" ... Many of us in here do not and will not intend to go through this "ride of hell" again. So, this is your only chance and you must do it RIGHT. Good luck

Edited by Kevin&Loan

I used to be indecisive. Now I am just not sure ...

Filed: Timeline

STL_HCMC,

Note that the instruction you reference does not ask for a 'singles certificate' from you.

Yodrak

So is the example packet 4 (i.e. Topic: HCMC Packets Scanned) outdated with its request for:

"11. A typed single status statement certified by the local authorities for all female applicants age 18 and over and all male applicants age 20 and over who are single, divorced or widowed."

We already obtained the single status document for my fiancee, but I'm thinking about skipping the one for myself. I've NEVER been married and neither has my fiancee.

STL_HCMC

Timeline

I'm glad to see that Loan received the same single status certificate as my fiancee. I never hesitated in obtaining one for her. The cost was VERY minimal compared to the $50.00USD price tag that was quoted on here for the petitioner to obtain one at the US Consulate in HCMC.

STL_HCMC

What Icarus said is new to me but knowing the Viet Cong, they would do anything. As as far as the Single Status Certificate is concerend, Loan did one for herself, it was the "GIẤY XÁC NHẬN TÌNH TRẠNG HÔN NHÂN (Ðể dùng ở nước ngoài)" just like what STL_HCMC mentioned. I did not do one for myself since my pettition for was K1 visa, not K3. However, at the time of the interview, Loan's Singe Status Cert. was given back to her. The translator told Loan it was not needed. However, it has always been my way that "better to have more than less". Since you are already spending time, engery and money into this matter, why not go the extra mile to get you that "peace of mind" ... Many of us in here do not and will not intend to go through this "ride of hell" again. So, this is your only chance and you must do it RIGHT. Good luck

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Hello Everyone!

I just received a reply from the US Consulate in HCMC regarding my email requesting information about the single status certification for BOTH the beneficiary and petitioner. Below is my original email and their reply.

SUBJECT: Single Status Certification (K-1 visa)

To Whom It May Concern:

Question #1: Is a "Single Status Certification Document" required for both the beneficiary AND the U.S. Citizen Petitioner for the K-1 visa application?

Question #2: If such single status certification is required of the U.S . Citizen Petitioner, can you please instruct me on the proper place to obtain such single status certification document while I'm living/working in HCMC, Vietnam?

Question #3: The completed and certified single status certification document given to my fiancee by the officials in her registered ward office is titled:

"GIẤY XÁC NHẬN TÌNH TRẠNG HÔN NHÂN (Ðể dùng ở nước ngoài)"

Is this the correct document needed for single status certification for the beneficiary and the K-1 visa application?

Best Regards,

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry. Single Status Certification is no longer required of the beneficiary and the petitioner of a fiancee visa case.

Please do not delete your original inquiry with all correspondence if you have further inquiries.

Sincerely,

Information Unit

Consular Section

U.S. Consulate General HCMC

Just an update on the official word from the consulate!

STL_HCMC

Seems to me as if nothing is required now when we ask, but I'm pretty dam sure that these emails are aswered by the Vietnamese staff. I'm just wondering if these people provide accurate info to all petitioners. The C/O is the one who makes the important decisions in our lives. In our case we'll do exactly what the instructions said in package 4.

2008-01-31 applied for SSA

2008-02-10 Received Notice fr SSA

2008-02-10 SSC issued with 10-BD

2008-02-14 Married; will get MC within 10 BD

2008-02-18 Recievd SSC

2008-02-27 Recieed Marriage Certificate

2008-03-03 485 Filed.

2008-03-08 File Received Chicago

2008-03-17 Rec'd 3 NOAs in the mail, but NOA dated 3/12/08

2008-04-04 Bio Appointment

2008-05-06 I765 in the mail

2008-05-06 I131 approved and in the mail

2008-08-26 Interview in CA 10/20/2008 Approved

2010-10-20 Remove Conditional--Gone Fishing 4 awhile now!!!!!!

2010-12-23 GC received--No More USCIS to deal with for now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.