cavalieri

Is the EAD a requirement to work?????

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I can not tell you how helpful it is to read this forum, many of my questions are answered. My husband and I are recent newlyweds. We are in the process right now of filing for his AOS. We went to the Philadelphia office to get all the information on exactly what he needs to do.

My question is: In order to start working you must file the I-765 EAD application? If so is it best to file at the same time as your I-485 AOS? And..........do you need to send to separate checks $395 plus the $180 all at the same time.

If someone can answer me on working situations, you would be a life saver.

Thanks!!!

The EAD is the employment authorization document and that's basically what u need to start working...

I filed it together and I made a big money order for both (i-485 and i-765)

c u later and good luck.

btw: buy a nice chair for the long wait ahead of u.

:lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline

Did you get the temporary EAD at the POE (most likely JFK?)

If not, according to the letter of the law, you need to receive the EAD before you can begin working. If you are prepared to wait for AOS to be complete, you don't need to apply for the EAD in the meantime. If you don't want to wait, you should apply for the EAD ASAP -- tomorrow is a good day. :)

09/27/05: Posted I-129F to VSC

09/30/05: Received NOA1 from VSC

10/08/05: NVC receives I-129F from VSC

11/28/05: Medical completed in Dakar

11/30/05: Interview completed in Dakar

12/01/05: Received visa in Dakar

12/22/05: Arrived in the U.S. via JFK & received temp. EAD

12/28/05: Applied for SSN

12/29/05: Applied for marriage licence

01/07/06: Got married!

01/17/06: Received SSN (still waiting for actual card)

01/18/06: Started new job

01/18/06: Applied for Maine state ID

01/26/06: Sent EAD, AOS and AP applications to Chicago lockbox

01/28/06: Received Maine state ID

02/04/06: Received NOA1 for AOS and AP, sent in wrong check for EAD :(

02/06/06: Resent EAD to Chicago lockbox

02/14/06: Received NOA1 for EAD

02/15/06: Received biometrics appointment date

03/10/06: Gave biometrics

03/24/06: AP approved via email

03/30/06: Received AP document in mail

04/12/06: Get immunization supplements

04/24/06: AOS interview (case pending, need another I-864 and FBI name check pending)

04/28/06: EAD approved via email

05/01/06: Received EAD card in mail

10/20/06: AOS approved! After almost 180 days...

10/21/06: Received AOS approval email

10/27/06: Received Welcome to America letter

10/29/06: Received Green Card in mail

Filed: Other Timeline

You don't HAVE to file for them both at the same time. But you CANNOT file for the EAD first. It is to be filed either concurrently with the AOS or later.

The common wisdom on VJ is to write separate checks.

The temp EAD received by some at JFK (alluded to above) is only good for 90 days. If you had gotten it, you would have to stop working in the interim before you receive this one. The EAD you are applying for now is good for a year and 90% of the time, you'll have your greencard within that one-year period.

And yeah, you gotta have one to work.......that and a social security number.

Filed: Timeline
You don't HAVE to file for them both at the same time. But you CANNOT file for the EAD first. It is to be filed either concurrently with the AOS or later.

The common wisdom on VJ is to write separate checks.

The temp EAD received by some at JFK (alluded to above) is only good for 90 days. If you had gotten it, you would have to stop working in the interim before you receive this one. The EAD you are applying for now is good for a year and 90% of the time, you'll have your greencard within that one-year period.

And yeah, you gotta have one to work.......that and a social security number.

So does everyone at JKF get the 90 day EAD? I've seen soem not get it at other POEs. Also, what's the pouint of workign then having to quit for 90 days? I havent' told my fiance this EAD business yet, I'm scared he'll get angry at having to wait yet longer! :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Also, what's the pouint of workign then having to quit for 90 days? I havent' told my fiance this EAD business yet, I'm scared he'll get angry at having to wait yet longer! :unsure:

Unfortunately, there's very little chance that you'll be able to work straight through, from arrival to green card. The temporary EAD is pretty much useless. If you go through JFK and get the temp EAD, you'd have to get married the day you arrive, and apply for AOS and EAD the same day you get married, AND there would probably still be a few days in between where it'll be illegal for you to work since it takes a few days to process the applications (and your EAD 90-day count doesn't begin until it's processed - I wouldn't count on getting the EAD in less than 90 days).

You and your fiance will need to communicate about this NOW - it's important for both parties to understand what's going on so they can prepare for it. I know how hard it can be - my husband earns a lot more than I do, and for him not to have a salary during this time is really hard! The prospect really scared me when I found out. But we knew about it in advance and were able to save and plan for the worst-case scenario. In the end, it was still far cheaper than the alternative (moving out of the country together - terrible idea!).

4.21.06 - Married!

5.2.06 - Mailed AOS and EAD to Chicago

5.4.06 - Application arrives in lockbox

5.9.06 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD

5.11.06 - NOA 1 rec'd!

5.17.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.19.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.20.06 - Biometrics notice for AOS and EAD

5.30.06 - Biometrics!

6.1.06 - Touched (AOS)

6.3.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

6.26.06 - Interview notice!!! (Aug. 9 at 10 a.m.)

7.6.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.8.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.10.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.11.06 - EAD approval notice!!!

7.15.06 - EAD card rec'd!

8.9.06 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

sawavingflag.gifuswavingflag.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I havent' told my fiance this EAD business yet, I'm scared he'll get angry at having to wait yet longer! :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Whoa. I agree with americangirl---you had better make sure this issue is out on the table. K-1s should not plan on working in the US for their first 4-6 months, realistically.

You should also study up on the K-1 Social Security number application procedure. If you wait too long to apply for that, you'll really have a wait for work.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline

rebeccajo,

Weelllll ... not really. A K1 can apply prior to AOS, during their first 90 day in the country, in category a6. Why they would want to is questionable, but they can.

Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.