antda

Identification to visit Canada next year

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Ok, this might be a silly question, but I have to ask it anyways, especially so, if I have to make arrangements other arrangements ahead of time:

Being a Canadian Citizen now living in the US as a Permanent Resident, can I visit Canada next year (after Jaunary 2009) with any/all of the following identification, and not have any problems at the border from both the Canadian and the American sides?:

1) An expired Canadian passport (I don't want to renew my old Canadian passport, yet, as I need the extra money to pay for US immigration expenses here first)

2) An expired 2yr conditional green card, with an NOA1 one-year extension letter

3) A very outdated Canadian Certificate of Citizenship Naturalization card

Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions, appreciated. Thanks

Ant

P.S. To anyone in New York State or any other state that offers enhanced driver's licenses (only issued to US Citizens): Have you ever gotten one of those, or considered getting one of those? If you have one, how much is it and did you have any problems crossing the border with it?

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Everyone,

Ok, this might be a silly question, but I have to ask it anyways, especially so, if I have to make arrangements other arrangements ahead of time:

Being a Canadian Citizen now living in the US as a Permanent Resident, can I visit Canada next year (after Jaunary 2009) with any/all of the following identification, and not have any problems at the border from both the Canadian and the American sides?:

1) An expired Canadian passport (I don't want to renew my old Canadian passport, yet, as I need the extra money to pay for US immigration expenses here first)

2) An expired 2yr conditional green card, with an NOA1 one-year extension letter

3) A very outdated Canadian Certificate of Citizenship Naturalization card

Any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions, appreciated. Thanks

Ant

P.S. To anyone in New York State or any other state that offers enhanced driver's licenses (only issued to US Citizens): Have you ever gotten one of those, or considered getting one of those? If you have one, how much is it and did you have any problems crossing the border with it?

You can easily renew your Canadian Passport: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng

That in itself would be enough that you wouldn't have to worry! Good luck!

jen

effective May 13, 2011 - back in Canada, journey is over

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply with that Canadian Passport renewal link. Based on the criteria on that site, it looks like I don't qualify for that "simplifed renewal" process, which means I probably have to apply for a whole new passport instead. And that, I can't do for awhile until I pay off these US immigration expenses here. Sigh.

Ant

You can easily renew your Canadian Passport: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng

That in itself would be enough that you wouldn't have to worry! Good luck!

jen

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi Krikit,

Thanks for your reply and the link (which I bookmarked) as to what identification is needed to cross the border with. Yes, I did know about the June 2009 identification changes, and asked mainly because of that, even though my passport expires before then.

Based on the list from that link, it does mention a Canadian passport as a piece of identification, so I should be ok there before it expires, since I've travelled back and forth with the passport before too and had no/few problems then. The problem for the future, rather, is I'm not sure if they will accept an expired Canadian passport as proof.

Also, even though it doesn't mention the green card on that website, but based on what you said, it should be ok if I travel with that, as I've travelled with that before too and had no/few problems. The only problem though I had before with just showing the green card was going into Canada, where they didn't think I was a Canadian Citizen, based on the birthplace on my green card, so that's why I bring the Canadian passport too with me when I travel to Canada. Either way, I'm glad to hear that I shouldn't have any problems travelling with an expired green card and extension letter later on.

Ant

As long as you go before June 1, 2009 you don't require a passport. See link for the identification requirements you will need: Link

WRT the expired greencard.... as long as you carry your extension letter with you you're good to go.

Edited by AntandD

Filed: Timeline

Just as a point of reference..... I once had a US CBP officer tell me that an expired passport was better than no passport at all. It's still a form of ID, although I wouldn't risk trying to use it after June 1st. You can always go in person to the passport office the next time you're in Canada and have them expedite the processing so you have a valid one when you cross back over.

This is a good link for asking border-related questions:

CBP.gov - Find Answers

iagree.gif

Hi Krikit,

Thanks for another reply, and for the link to the border-related questions (which I bookmarked too). True, that an expired passport is still a form of ID (lol...worth quite a bit of money), so it makes sense that having one is better than not having one at all.

From what I read on that link, it said that:

"On June 1, 2009 all travelers including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid passport or other alternative documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security.

Lawful permanent residents (LPR's), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or the Travel Document issued to persons with refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States."

So on that note, I should be ok next year with just a green card (like I've always travelled back to the US with before) and an extension letter in terms of coming back home to the US. As for going to Canada, I don't know how that would work the same way with the green card and extension letter and an expired Canadian passport. In terms of getting a new Canadian passport, the problem is that I can't afford one soon, as I still have to pay for the US immigration expenses and other household expenses. Also, from what I remember, to get a new Canadian passport, one needs a guarrantor, which I don't think I can find one here right away.

Oh well, for now, I'll just gamble with the expired green card w/extension letter, and expired Canadian passport, and hopefully they won't give me too much trouble at the border.

The worst case scenerio: I don't travel to Canada until I have my US Passport or some other form of US Citizenship ID in the next 1-2 years...

Ant

Just as a point of reference..... I once had a US CBP officer tell me that an expired passport was better than no passport at all. It's still a form of ID, although I wouldn't risk trying to use it after June 1st. You can always go in person to the passport office the next time you're in Canada and have them expedite the processing so you have a valid one when you cross back over.

This is a good link for asking border-related questions:

CBP.gov - Find Answers

Hi Krikit

Lol...I don't have any guarrantors now, from either Canada or the US, which is a problem when it comes to getting a new Canadian passport. Oh why do Canadian passports need guarantors?

Ant

You can use your Canadian guarantors..... you don't have to have one that lives in the US. :)
Edited by AntandD

Hi Krikit,

Never mind, I found the following information online (on the passport Canada website) about guarrantors. I guess I can do this instead then if I do apply for a new Canadian passport:

"An applicant who is unable to obtain the signature of an eligible guarantor is required to complete Form PPT 132, "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor". This form must be completed and signed before a Commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public, Justice of the Peace or another official who is qualified to administer the oath. In this instance, it is not necessary for the official to know the applicant personally.The form is available from any Passport Canada office or by contacting our call centre"

I also found out too, about the new rules for guarantors, which is that they now don't require guarantors to be only of people with certain "professional" careers, like they did before. Gee, I guess I'm getting old and have been out of Canada for so long in not realizing this changes.

Ok, now that I got the guarantor issue out of the way, I wonder if I can gather up enough money to pay for a new Canadian passport...

Ant

Hi Krikit

Lol...I don't have any guarrantors now, from either Canada or the US, which is a problem when it comes to getting a new Canadian passport. Oh why do Canadian passports need guarantors?

:lol:

Yep, that's definitely a problem.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure about the Canadian side but on the US side you must present current documents that show your citizenship and your status within the US.

An expired passport will not do as it's useless since it's expired. If you have a green card extention that might work but you might be held up in secondary inspection so give yourself extra time...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Hi Warlord,

Thanks for your reply. Hmmm...in that case, I probably shouldn't have problems returning home to the US with an expired green card and an extension letter, as they will be present and current then.

I can't believe though, that I might have the possiblity of having problems going into Canada, especially with an expired passport, which for me kind of serves as a Canadian birth certificate. Lol...oh why can't Canada issue passports for 5 years instead of 10 years, like they do here in the US and other countries, or some sort of affordable passport card or something? Maybe they'll also take into consideration too my green card and extension letter that I have, and not cause any problems with that.

Yes, I'll definately give myself a lot of time, if I do go, in case I'm held up at a secondary inspection in Canada, which I hope doesn't happen. Oh well, worst case scenerio: I don't go to Canada for the next 1-2 years and until I get my US Passport to do so then.

Ant

Not sure about the Canadian side but on the US side you must present current documents that show your citizenship and your status within the US.

An expired passport will not do as it's useless since it's expired. If you have a green card extention that might work but you might be held up in secondary inspection so give yourself extra time...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.