Knobby_Wheezer

Canadian filing of Income Taxes

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, this is my understanding of it and I still need assistance (and, of course, it's after 9p Eastern by an hour and 10 minutes).

1) On the front of the Return there is a place to say when I left Canada (2007-06-20)

I have the Return entitled T1 General:

Income Tax and Benefit Return for Non-Residents and Deem Residents of Canada

It has "Other" already filled in for province or territory as of 2007-12-31

It then has a blank next to: "Your country of residence on 2007-12-31"

(Then the self-employed blah-blah-blah entry)

Based on a response by Emancipation to a post originated by Mephys:

"I phoned CRA tonite about this very issue, and they said for SURE to put the date you became a Green Card holder. They said that it will help you get a bigger return, because you are given a bigger personal deduction as a result (your personal deduction is lowered if you only were in the country a small amout of the year.) SO . . . that's the 411 on that one!! :) It made a difference of about $600.00 on my return putting May 15 as my date f permanent residency as opposed to Feb 5!!"

2) As I do not have a Green Card and seem unlikely to achieve that state any time before August or September of 2008, do I go ahead with the "Deemed Resident" situation?

3) If so, do I mail my Return to the Walkley Road address?---some place in Calgary?

4) If I really am a Deemed Resident of Canada, do I say, "Yes, gimme GST refunds" and others similar?

5) Will the refund (and / or GST) go to the bank account that I have registered to receive electronic funds from the Canadian Government or will they send paper here and I have to endorse and send back to Canada to have my sister deposit it?

6) Will 2008's Income Tax Return look like that which Emancipation has said?

7) Should I just wait on pins and needles until the 800 number is functioning again in the Eastern time zone?

Cheez. It took soooo loooong to just get my T4 sent to the correct address and now I'm stuck.

Yes, I know---no NR73. No problem there.

Any help would be appreciated---including links to appropriate posts that did not show up in any of my searches.

Toodles and thanks in advance!

Edited by Knobby_Wheezer

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I, too, resorted to calling the International CRA.

The LATEST DATE of residency requirement refers to only the tax year. So, since I did not receive my Green Card in 2007, my date of departure is the LATEST DATE.

And

I fill out the usual form, put in my date of departure, and attach a note to Schedule 1 that states that more than 90% of my income for 2007 was in Canadian funds. I have yet to earn income in the US, therefore, 100% of my income is in Canadian funds. Also in the note I state that, because of the 90% rule, I am claiming a Full Non-Refundable Tax Credit.

Everything else remains the same as if I were still in Canada and doing my taxes. Fill out all the Federal stuff applicable and all the Provincial / Territorial stuff that is applicable.

The woman on the 'phone said to go to this page at the CRA for info and pamphlets:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/

Select language

(at this point I can only tell you what to click if you choose English---sorry)

In the Search box type "T4056" (with or without quotations)

The page that comes up has all the info as clickable links.

She suggested saving it as a Favourite / Bookmark.

I did.

I hope that this may help someone else besides myself.

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.