karenkaye

Importing a vechicle

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone! First of all I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone here - finding the VJ website and all the folks who contribute here has been a big help with this long process. Best wishes to everyone on their personal journeys. I do have another question tho.....

Visa approved last Friday in Montreal - just called the post office and the xpresspost envelope has arrived - will be picking it up tomorrow and coming through the border from New Brunswick to Maine. I will need to import my vehicle - I have my compliance letter in hand but am wondering about the actual process. Are there forms that I should print/fill out and bring with me? After that is all done I have personal effects that I stored with family but won't be able to bring them across with me tomorrow, and then there's the remainder of my belongings/furniture which are with the movers, in storage, in NB. Has anyone had a problem bringing belongs into the US a couple of months after entering the country? Any experience or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much!

Hi Karen! :)

Please fill in your time line, it helps us all.

Congrats on your approval. I don't know much about the car importing, I'm sure someone will be able to help you :)

Best of luck! :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

After you are finished the immigration process you will go to Customs. Tell them you are importing your vehicle and hand them the ownership and compliance letter. They will fill in the form you require. They will ask you the value of your vehicle. Keep it on the low side just in case the DMV in your State make you pay the taxes on it. You can get an estimate of the value on the Kelley Blue Book site.

Once you are State-side, you will need to forward your immigration information to your mover before they can bring your things over without paying any duty. They will let you know the information they require. My belongings arrived two months after I did (United). I have yet to have a problem bringing any other items back with me when I've gone home for a visit.

Congratulations, and welcome to VJ!

iagree.gif

Timeline
After you are finished the immigration process you will go to Customs. Tell them you are importing your vehicle and hand them the ownership and compliance letter. They will fill in the form you require. They will ask you the value of your vehicle. Keep it on the low side just in case the DMV in your State make you pay the taxes on it. You can get an estimate of the value on the Kelley Blue Book site.

Once you are State-side, you will need to forward your immigration information to your mover before they can bring your things over without paying any duty. They will let you know the information they require. My belongings arrived two months after I did (United). I have yet to have a problem bringing any other items back with me when I've gone home for a visit.

Congratulations, and welcome to VJ!

Thank you thank you thank you! You have made me feel a lot less worried! :)

Timeline

I just imported my car in an inland port in Ohio. It too k 5 minutes i gave him my passport, ownership and the compliance letter. The officer filled it out ask for the value expected the VIn number and that was it. The funny part is the officer from the cusstoms and border patrol did not know what CR1 VISA was and i was shocked when he asked me what was that visa for. good luck

Sent I-130 ---october 23rd 2006

NO1 --- November 9th 2006

RFE for marriage certificate--- Jan 03 2007

RFE sent JAN 10th 2007

NO2 Jan 28th 2007

Sent DS3020 March 14th 2007 via email

Email accepted --- March 18th 2007

Sent both I864 and DS230 April 23rd 2007

RFE For both I864 and DS230 may 10th 2007

RFE reply Sent on may 14th 2007

Case completed May 29th 2007

Medicals: October 2nd 2007

Interview: November 27th 2007 *** APROVED

Visa received November 29th 2007

POE:Detroit December 4th, 2007

Applied for SSN: December 5th, 2007 Pending

SSN Received: December 12, 2007

Green card Received: December 29,2007

I751 September 8, 2009

Biometrics October 22, 2009

I-751 Approved November 18th, 2009

Done for good!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.