TexPamp

A sorted past

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a fiancée who I met in a bar in the infamous Balibago area of Angeles City which really doesn't matter to me, We have fallen in love and that is all there is to it. In our eyes we want the past to stay in the past.

But when it comes to filling out the forms and all I get a bit concerned that this past of hers would be a factor in their decision making. I hate to lie and I hate having to ask her to lie, we are both honest people who have our own faults and share the same dream of a happy life.

My question is, should we drive on with the truth of the matter or maybe fudge things a bit just in case the U.S.A only wants to let in angels?

Thx

TexPamp

K-1

March 17, 2008.....I-129F Packet sent to Vermont Service Center

March 20, 2008.....I-129F arrived at Vermont Service Center

March 21, 2008.....NOA 1

May 27, 2008........NOA2

June 19, 2008.......Delbros Paid

June 30, 2008.......Medical (Passed)

July 18, 2008........Interview (Passed, Pink and White slip)

Sept 17, 2008.......Recieved Visa

Sept 19, 2008.......CFO at St. Mary's

Sept 22, 2008.......Travel to USA, POE Honolulu, Late night arrival to Las Vegas

Sept 23, 2008.......MARRIED

Sept 25, 2008.......Left Las Vegas driving home

Sept 26, 2008.......Arrived in El Paso, Texas

AOS

December 8, 2008 Package sent

December 26, 2008 NOA

8114.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well, I never believe in fudging anything that can be substantiated later. So, if there is a chance of anyone ever finding out, tell the truth from the beginning.

However, if not relevant, what they don't know won't hurt them!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It depends on the lie. Is she married? The US embassy will likely find out. It will be grounds for denial. Does she have kids? The doctors will still find out during her medical. We might be able to give you specific opinions on what types of infos you want concealed.

"Honesty is the best policy" as a saying goes.

Sometimes that does not apply to people who have taken illegal drugs years ago. Once they admit that during medical, they will get a lifetime ban in the US.

05/18/07 married

05/29/07 sent I-130s for me & my daughter at CSC

06/16/07 checks for I-130 cashed

06/19/07 sent I-129F not waiting for noa1 but with printed online copies of checks cashed

06/25/07 check for I-129f cashed

06/29/07 transferred I-129f to CSC

07/03/07 received noa1 in the mail for I-129f

10/31/07 approved K3 and my I-130 except for my daughter

11/05/07 received NOA2 in the mail

12/01/07 received mail from NVC/yey we got our case number

12/20/07 went to St. Lukes and had my early medical exam

01/30/08 schedule for medical

02/07/08 interview, approved!

02/12/08 visa pick-up/cfo

02/14/08 POE-LAX

06/19/08 AOS mailed thru USPS

06/22/08 AOS delivered to Chicago IL

06/28/08 check cashed

06/30/08 received NOA1 dated 06/25/08

07/26/08 biometrics appointment

09/09/08 received EAD card in the mail

12/03/08 received interview letter for Jan 21 2009

01/21/09 approved for conditional permanent residence

02/02/09 permanent residence card arrived in the mail

10/21/10 submit form to remove conditions

01/21/11 10 year gc received

03/05/12 mailed my N-400

03/06/12 received email that they have my N-400

04/05/12 biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
It depends on the lie. Is she married? The US embassy will likely find out. It will be grounds for denial. Does she have kids? The doctors will still find out during her medical. We might be able to give you specific opinions on what types of infos you want concealed.

"Honesty is the best policy" as a saying goes.

Sometimes that does not apply to people who have taken illegal drugs years ago. Once they admit that during medical, they will get a lifetime ban in the US.

yes, I know but better to be honest than being haunted by what you've done.

Actually, I read Texpamp post in the other section and they are just waiting for the NBI clearance of his fiance. If the result is fine, then he has nothing to worry.

how long have you known her? I would assume she has stopped working in that bar already (I do hope you asked her to stop and that she also had the sensibility to find another form of employment or maybe a small legit business) But still, it would surely be awkward for her to fill in the "applicant's employment last 5 years" portion of the G-325A form.... and there is the Question #18 also on I-129F form (Has your fiancé(e) met and seen you within the two-year period immediately receding the filing of this petition? Describe the circumstances under which you met.)

If I could rephrase your question, you are asking: "Should you write the fact that you met her in a bar in angeles (the so called sin city of the Philippines) where she used to work, right?" You are also concern that the nature of her past job (assuming she has stopped already) will be a factor in granting or denying visa for her?

Maybe if you could establish solid proof of a genuine relationship it won't really matter. It will be best if you write the truth down but then make sure to establish that she has stopped working in that bar already and is engaged in a more legitimate trade. Honesty is always the best policy (well, at least most of the time though not really always as in the case of drug use eons ago) But, I don't really know. :unsure: I don't think I could offer much help nor offer the soundest advice.

Im sure there are other people here who could share wiser insights.

Edited by dbears

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't think there will be an issue unless she was charged with working in the sex industry, just working in the bar doesn't mean she was a GRO. I would highly suggest getting the police background check before filing.

As for the drugs in the past, I don't think it is a ban for life, but it is a ban for a certain number of years (think it is 3 years, but not sure).

------- @>-@>-@>--------

AOS

Jul 23, 2008 ---> Mailed AOS, EAD and AP package

July 27, 2008 ---> check cleared

Jul 29, 2008 ---> NOA Date

Aug 2, 2008 ---> received confirmation mail for AOS, EAD and AP

Aug 9, 2008 ---> received biometrics appointment letter

Aug 21, 2008 ---> BIOMETRICS schedule at 3 pm

Aug 12, 2008 ---> took Biometrics in advance as a walk in

Aug 12, 2008 ---> touched

Aug 18, 2008 ---> I-485 notice of transfer to CSC

Sept 23, 2008 ---> touched

Nov 18, 2008 ---> GC RECEIVED!!!

EAD

Sept 30, 2008 ---> Card production ordered <expect to receive within 30 days>

Oct 11, 2008 ---> EAD received

AP

Sept 30, 2008 ---> AP approved <NOA mailed>

Oct 10, 2008 ---> AP received

ROC

Oct 11, 2010 ---> Mailed ROC packet

Oct 12, 2010 ---> Signed for and received by destination

Oct 14, 2010 ---> Money order cashed

Oct 18, 2010 ---> NOA1 received in mail

Nov 15, 2010 ---> Biometrics and fingerprinting appointment

Jan 28, 2011 ---> ROC approved

Jan 31, 2011 ---> Card mailed out

Feb 2, 2011 ---> Card received in the mail.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I don't think there will be an issue unless she was charged with working in the sex industry, just working in the bar doesn't mean she was a GRO. I would highly suggest getting the police background check before filing.

As for the drugs in the past, I don't think it is a ban for life, but it is a ban for a certain number of years (think it is 3 years, but not sure).

There was a post here about it and it is a lifetime ban. The USC is thinking of moving here in the Philippines to be with her fiancee.

05/18/07 married

05/29/07 sent I-130s for me & my daughter at CSC

06/16/07 checks for I-130 cashed

06/19/07 sent I-129F not waiting for noa1 but with printed online copies of checks cashed

06/25/07 check for I-129f cashed

06/29/07 transferred I-129f to CSC

07/03/07 received noa1 in the mail for I-129f

10/31/07 approved K3 and my I-130 except for my daughter

11/05/07 received NOA2 in the mail

12/01/07 received mail from NVC/yey we got our case number

12/20/07 went to St. Lukes and had my early medical exam

01/30/08 schedule for medical

02/07/08 interview, approved!

02/12/08 visa pick-up/cfo

02/14/08 POE-LAX

06/19/08 AOS mailed thru USPS

06/22/08 AOS delivered to Chicago IL

06/28/08 check cashed

06/30/08 received NOA1 dated 06/25/08

07/26/08 biometrics appointment

09/09/08 received EAD card in the mail

12/03/08 received interview letter for Jan 21 2009

01/21/09 approved for conditional permanent residence

02/02/09 permanent residence card arrived in the mail

10/21/10 submit form to remove conditions

01/21/11 10 year gc received

03/05/12 mailed my N-400

03/06/12 received email that they have my N-400

04/05/12 biometrics

Goodluck on the Police and NBI Clearances.

If she was one of those arrested in bar raids, i really do hope she had good reason why she was found working there (working under duress, threat, etc.), otherwise she would not only have a police arrest on her name but a criminal record as well. my limited knowledge on bar raids consist on how the same is conducted. its usually enforced with a search warrant on probable cause that prostitution is being practiced in the establishment. better research if the US immigration law holds a lifetime ban on the said crime, like they do on drugs. if they don't you'd be fine.

mikeandlani

our Visa Journey

09.01.06 - Filed I130 to VSC

05.21.07 - NOA2

06.19.07 - NVC receives Petition

11.23.07 - CASE COMPLETE

01.30.08 - USEM Interview

02.02.08 - CR1 Visa Received

03.03.08 - Entered US through Detroit International

03.27.08 - Received 2yr Conditional Resident Card

04.01.08 - Filed for my SSN at the local SSA office

04.05.08 - SSN received by mail

05.03.08 - Finally got my Driver's License

lifting conditions....

I-I-751

12.07.09 - Sent I-751 to VSC by express mail

12.08.09 - I-751 delivered to VSC per USPS tracking :-)

12.09.09 - NOA1 date (Checked cashed :-D)

12.14.09 - Received NOA1

12.18.09 - ASC Appointment Notice Date

12.26.09 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

12.31.09 - Early Biometrics

01.14.10 - Biometrics Schedule

02.26.10 - Email update --Card Production ordered

03.02.10 - Email update --Approval Notice sent

03.06.10 - Approval Notice Received

03.08.10 - Card Received

Naturalization

I-N400

09.09.11 - Sent N400 to USCIS Dallas Lockbox

09.23.11 - Received 1-797 by mail

11.17.11 - Biometrics Schedule

01.25.12 - Received Interview and Exam Notice by mail

02.28.12 - Interview schedule

03.28.12 - Oath Ceremony

There was a post here about it and it is a lifetime ban. The USC is thinking of moving here in the Philippines to be with her fiancee.

There is supposed to be just a 3years ban but in the Philippines, they tend to be more strict. here's what raquel was talking about http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=86081&st=0.. and there was another one on vj who was denied just last january of this year due to drug use also.

Anyways, drug use is not the issue that the OP is worried about.. His worries is about his fiancee's past occupation... and that was working "in a bar in the infamous Balibago area of Angeles City"... Good point there, working in a bar in the seedy area of angeles do not automatically mean she was a GRO, if that is the case then the OP has no cause to worry... but, why is he worried about his fiancee's past job (assuming again that she has stopped working in that bar) then? Maybe we could try googling Balibago, Angeles to at least understand where the OP's worries are coming from.

BTW, how many sex workers in the Philippines has been charged with sex trafficking or working in the sex industry? Golly, the government even have free medical check up for them and periodic seminar on safe sex and the likes. (I used to work in the pharma industry and there was one time the regional hospital in my area tapped our company to sponsor the snacks and the lunch of the speakers and the attendees. attendees were the registered sex workers in the area. Yes, sex workers with permits and they are considered safer coz they have regular check up and they have the so called clean bill slip to show to their customers/clients.)

Though i don't condone these bar girls/call girls/call boys... i also do not judge them because I don't know their full story, I don't know what deep reason pushed them to be in that position. Some people say, once a bar girl, always a bar girl but I do believe in everyone's capacity to change, especially when they will come to know and accept Jesus in their lives.

Well, i'm getting off topic again... sorry about that... back to the OP's worries... should you or shouldn't you write on the forms that your fiancee once worked in the bar and that you met her there? If you'd write it there, there might be more thorough medical requirement for STD's but I don't think USCIS or the CO in USEM will automatically deny her if she pass the medical and if you will be able to present solid proof of a bona fide relationship.

But then again, this is just my opinion., just pls take it with a grain of salt. I hope somebody with similar background as your fiancee could help out... There's probably others before you who have successfully traveled the same path. If it would be uncomfortable for them to share it in the open, I hope that they would at least PM you to help you out.

Good luck to you and your fiancee.

ROC

N-400

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Timeline

I have not read anything in his post to suggest illegal activity, only that she worked in a bar and the insinuation that may be associated with it by those reviewing the petition and subsequest interview.

If I'm reading his post correctly, he is asking should he embellish her work history.

Although I do not have experience in this area, if I were filling in her work history...

She is a waitress or hostess and use the corporate name of the orgainization which owns the bar.

Edited by swmbob

I have not read anything in his post to suggest illegal activity, only that she worked in a bar and the insinuation that may be associated with it by those reviewing the petition and subsequest interview.

If I'm reading his post correctly, he is asking should he embellish her work history.

Although I do not have experience in this area, if I were filling in her work history...

She is a waitress or hostess and use the corporate name of the orgainization which owns the bar.

agree, the concern here is if there's guilt by association. If an answer can not be found here, there are other Philippine specific forums that the Op can join. hopefully someone with similar situation can give the OP some suggestions.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline

Hi TexPamp:

I just read your original post in another thread and have haphazardly :whistle: cut and paste here. Hope you don't mind.

You have a legitimate concern, since she has been in police custody. Albeit for questioning only, as per your girl's description of the event.

I agree with the responses you received and I would get an NBI clearence before you begin the process, so you know specifically what your dealing with and how to address it, if necessary.

I've attached the NBI link that should answer most of your questions. Although the link does not show a location in the Balibago area, she should ask her friends if she can obtain one on Clark.

http://www.gov.ph/faqs/nbi.asp

Good Luck!!

VisaJourney.com _ Introducing our Members _ I am at it again

Posted by: TexPamp Feb 2 2008, 05:39 AM

Hello,

I used to post under a different username almost 4 years ago when I was going to bring my novia from Mexico. Well things didn't work out so well and she backed off before I could get the process started, end of story and I haven't heard from her since.

The end of last summer I went on a trip to the Philippines and met a lovely Pinay and we kept in touch through the Yahoo Messenger. Well I just returned this week after my 2nd trip to the Philippines and we saw eachother (of course) and we have decided to make a go at it.

So here I am again looking for guidance from this site, it was very helpful the last time and I am sure it will again provide help as I am sure some things have changed in the last 4 years.

My big concern this time is arrest record. Now this isn't going to win me any popularity contests on this board and likely a big mound of disapproval but we do have feelings for eachother and at this point that is all that matters.

My girlfriend works in a bar in Angeles City PI and was arrested less than 2 years ago during a bar raid. I am sure this will come to the attention of the powers that be when I file the papers to bring her over on a fiancee visa. My question is, how much weight will be given to the arrest and will the fact that she works in a bar (yes, a girly bar) be considered in their decision making?

Thank you for you help and hopefully no one will be to judgemental of me or my fiancee.

TexPamp

Posted by: amy n Feb 2 2008, 06:38 AM

Well, this matter depends on the following:

* if the police clearance or NBI clearance will be okay...then, nothing to worry

* if she is arrested, was there a record of the arrest and what was the result? Did she go to court? Was there a fine?

* if she is convicted of a crime, then, that is another problem

Tell her to get a police clearance first, then, NBI clearance...see the result first and if its OKAY, then, apply for a K1. GOODLUCK

Posted by: jasman0717 Feb 2 2008, 06:57 AM

What was she arrested for? Was she charged and does this arrest show up on her police record? If it was a crime of moral turpitude you might have a very difficult time of it.

Posted by: TexPamp Feb 2 2008, 07:22 AM

QUOTE(jasman0717 @ Feb 2 2008, 04:57 AM)

What was she arrested for? Was she charged and does this arrest show up on her police record? If it was a crime of moral turpitude you might have a very difficult time of it.

I guess I need to ask some serious questions. I hope this isn't going to become a hopeless situation.

Posted by: TexPamp Feb 2 2008, 05:39 PM

Are there fees involved in getting these clearances? If not ok, what do I do, just give up. That almost doesn't seem right.

Thx

Tex

Posted by: TexPamp Feb 10 2008, 12:51 AM

I have asked my fiancée details of the arrest and it seems she was taken in for questioning as what she says, she was considered a victim at this event rather than a contributor to an illegal event. The event was a pool party staged by American ExPats and bar owners.

Now we just have to wait and see what the NBI and other clearances have to say.

Thank you for your answers in this thread

TexPamp

maybe you should seek the advise of an Immigration Attorney who deals with immigration from the Philippines.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Hi TexPamp:

I just read your original post in another thread and have haphazardly :whistle: cut and paste here. Hope you don't mind.

You have a legitimate concern, since she has been in police custody. Albeit for questioning only, as per your girl's description of the event.

Well, this shed a new light to the OP's concerns.... Here's a potion of Ineligibilities as provided in the Embassy Website "Classes of Aliens Ineligible to Receive Visas"

Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act

(2) Criminal and related grounds.

(A) Conviction of certain crimes.-

(i) In general.-Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-

(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime), or

(ii) Exception.-Clause (i)(I) shall not apply to an alien who committed only one crime if-

(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States, or

(II) the maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted (or which the alien admits having committed or of which the acts that the alien admits having committed constituted the essential elements) did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted of such crime, the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed).

---- (jump off to paragraph D) ---

(D) Prostitution and commercialized vice.-Any alien who-

(i) is coming to the United States solely, principally, or incidentally to engage in prostitution, or has engaged in prostitution within 10 years of the date of application for a visa, admission, or adjustment of status,

In light of those ineligibility clause... I will agree with

maybe you should seek the advise of an Immigration Attorney who deals with immigration from the Philippines.

and also with

I agree with the responses you received and I would get an NBI clearence before you begin the process, so you know specifically what your dealing with and how to address it, if necessary.

Good luck to you and your fiancee. And may God be your guide and your strength in this journey.

ROC

N-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.