milwaukeegirl

Shipping experience

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I just wanted to share my experience of shipping my belongings from London to the United States. My husband and I decided to go through Anglo Pacific, because they had a "12 week guarantee." They explained this policy over the phone to us. Basically, if we didn't receive our boxes within 12 weeks of them leaving England, we would get a full refund! Sounded awesome to us. There were other companies that were cheaper, but we really wanted our stuff in 12 weeks, so we went with Anglo Pacific. I wish we hadn't!!

Trouble started when when empty boxes, tape, and bubble wrap were dropped off at our flat. I called Anglo Pacific to ask them about how to put our address info on the boxes. The woman that I spoke to looked up my file, and said stated that my belongings would be shipped to New York. During my original quote, we told them that we needed our stuff shipped to Milwaukee! At that time we were told that our boxes would be shipped to Chicago, and then driven to Milwaukee. However, the woman on the phone said that that would never ever happen. She said that Anglo Pacific ships to two ports in America, to California and New York. The boxes are then driven to your personal address. I couldn't believe that the original employee that I spoke to did not know this! Luckily our quoted price remained the same. I think because they knew they'd messed up. I asked the woman on the phone what to do with remaining, unused boxes and tape. She told me to send it back with the driver when he picked up our packed boxes for shipment, which we did.

A week after our boxes were picked up, we came home to find the empty, remaining boxes and tape in our hallway! We called Anglo Pacific, and they said that any unused boxes were ours, that we in effect had "bought them" and it was up to us to dispose of them. I couldn't believe they would have driven from London to Letchworth Garden City, to return unused boxes! Our packed belongings were picked up from our flat the end of September. We received an email the first week of October that they had been shipped on a boat which was en route to New York. We received another email on the 22nd of October that our boxes arrived in New York, and I also received customs forms from a moving company in New York. I completed the papers and faxed them. This company was called International Sea & Air Shipping based in New Jersey. I called them the next day to make sure they received my forms. The woman was extremely rude and said yes they received them. She said that we'd receive our boxes when they had a full truck, and a reason to drive to the midwest.

At the 12 week point we called Anglo Pacific to ask where our boxes were, and they seemed really confused that we hadn't received them. They had no idea where our stuff was. They hadn't had any contact with the New Jersey company, who they subcontract their work out to once the boxes arrive in America. I couldn't believe that Anglo Pacific didn't follow up with our shipment. That's what we were paying them for! They also denied ever telling us about a "12 week guarantee". After looking through our paperwork, I couldn't find this guarantee in writing, so we were out of luck. Anglo Pacific blamed the confusion on a new employee giving us the wrong information. My husband continually called Anglo Pacific, and after speaking to the manager in charge once, was repeatedly told that he was "out of office." He never returned my husband's calls thereafter. I emailed this manager at least 3 times, and everytime he emailed me back and said that he would review our case and would get back to me. He never did.

It took us 15 weeks to receive our belongings. One of our framed wall hangings was broken, and the delivery guys said that it was broken when it arrived in New Jersey. I believe it, based on Anglo Pacific's customer service.

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone on Visa Journey, not to necessarily bad mouth Anglo Pacific, but to advise everyone to get guarantees in writing. I know it was my own fault not to do so. But also, I think that Anglo Pacific's customer service is awful, and if you can find a nicer company to go through, I would definitely do so! I would not recommend them to anyone! Good luck!

Natalie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Thankfully, your things finally arrived.

I was very fortunate that I only moved from Canada, so we drove my belongings across the border ourselves. But I have had many many bad moving experiences within Canada, just moving from one province to another, so I understand what you're saying about getting any guarantees in writing. We waited for weeks at an empty apartment once waiting for our furniture, and because the company didn't give us any guaranteed delivery date, there wasn't a darn thing we could do about it.

Hopefully, things will settle down in your lives now that you're both "home" safe and sound!!!

My husband is from Milwaukee... it's a great part of the U.S.!!!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.