huggyapple

Medical exam proceedure

9 posts in this topic

Can anyone shed some light on the details of the medical exam? My fiancé is not one for seeing a doctor on a regular basis unless she is feeling ill. From reading some of the information, we can tell that there is a blood test exam for HIV, x-rays, mental and physical evaluation and that's all the details we can find. She's a little bit worried about the physical exam. I know most of us are not comfortable with disrobing in front of a stranger, even if it's a doctor with a level of professionalism. Does anyone know what physical things they may look for or what procedures that may be involved? She doesn’t want to have a physical exam if her friend is visiting and as we’ve read in the forums it’s better to have your exam when you’re not having your period because they will make you reschedule. If anyone can explain everything they do and check it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Met online: 2005-12-15

Met in person: 2006-09-03

Met again: 2007-03-03

Engaged: 2007-03-07

--------------------------------

I-129F Sent : 2007-06-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-12

Don't worry too much. I don't know about the Phillipines, but we just went through the medical in Bangkok last month. I was there with her.

they asked her to fill out the history part of the form (Download the forms fron VJ) and that ws pretty much it. They took her blood, urine, and chest X-ray.

They gave her the missing vaccinations. If they do, she might have a slight reaction, as Bee had. It looked like she was getting the Measles on her hands and arms, but after three days it was gone. As for the physical part, she had her clothe on most of the time. The doc looked at her eyes, nose, and ears. He had her lie down, pulled up her shirt, and pressed around on her stomach. That was it. The worst part was waiting for them to assemble all the paperwork for the embassy.

Overall pretty harmless I would say. If she feels better, go with her, or have her take a friend if you can't go.

Good Luck.

AOS Timeline

11/29/07 - Fedex'd to Lockbox (Chicago)

12/3/07 - Delivery confirmation..........

12/21/07 - Checks cashed!!!

01/10/08 Paper NOA1 for daughter received - Postmarked 12/20/07

MSC# on back of check doesn't match MSC# on NOA.

01/31/08 Still no news for wife. All three numbers still come up red on-line.

02/26/08 Called USCIS 800 number. Very friendly and helpful individual and supervisor.

Found out correct MSC numbers. Also found out that we missed the Bio!

We never received any appointment letter. (Originally set for January)

Went to local support office and asked about re-scheduling the Bio. Very nice manager at the office

did our Bio then and there, without having to wait since they were not busy.

April 8 and still waiting.......

May 11....and waiting, and waiting...not even a touch.

May 24 received NOA2 appointment for Interview for 30 July. Web page still not updated.

July 30 - Interview. APPROVED. Green card will be sent.

9/12/08 Called USCIS asking where GC's are?

10/15/08 Get letter from USCIS that GC's were sent August 8. Never received them.

10/20/08 Sent forms and $740 for two new GC's.

11/7/08 Received confirmation of receipt for new GC's.

11/12/08 Received BIO appointment.

11/25/08 Bio done.

Waiting, waiting, waiting

January 2009 finally received GC!

May 3 2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions.

June 21 Bio appointment.

August 11 Approval letter. No Interview.

August 21 - 10 Year card received.

Filed: Timeline
Can anyone shed some light on the details of the medical exam? My fiancé is not one for seeing a doctor on a regular basis unless she is feeling ill. From reading some of the information, we can tell that there is a blood test exam for HIV, x-rays, mental and physical evaluation and that's all the details we can find. She's a little bit worried about the physical exam. I know most of us are not comfortable with disrobing in front of a stranger, even if it's a doctor with a level of professionalism. Does anyone know what physical things they may look for or what procedures that may be involved? She doesn’t want to have a physical exam if her friend is visiting and as we’ve read in the forums it’s better to have your exam when you’re not having your period because they will make you reschedule. If anyone can explain everything they do and check it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

The medical has several parts:

1. Quick eye/ear exam.

2. Questionnaire about medical history.

3. Quick reconaissance (sounds funny) physical - touch here there and everywhere, including external genitalia. And no, it does not matter if she is having her period (or so it said in my own instructions from MTL); but of course it's more comfortable if she is not.

For more precise info, I sugges you call the doctor's office.- they may have different rules there.

Peace, L.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, Tell your fiancee not to worried about the physical exams and do what the doctor in St. Lukes ask her to do. She will be ask if she had chicken pox already and if she did, she must be able to show the scars so that the doctor will not give her anymore shots for that. She will be ask if she is taking drugs, commit suicide, when he first day and last day of period, if she had operation before, if she have kids. HIV exams is very important because if the applicants for visa is positive for HIV, it could lead to visa denial.

It is better not to have a period on the day of her appointment at St. Lukes because as for physical exams, they will ask the applicants to undress and wear the hospital gown and will ask to lay on the bed. The doctor will examine if she have cease or hymorroid. It will only takes 2-5 minutes.

When I had my appointment at St. Lukes, I went there 1 month before my appointment so that if they see or problems with the x-ray or medical results I still have time to correct it before my US interview date.

Good luck to your fiancee.

You can also try to visit the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS AREA: PHILIPPINES", there are several members there that shared their medical and interview experiences.

MY MEDICAL EXPERIENCE at SLMCEC

(19 March 2007 @1230pm)

1st Day:

Present to the Guard at the Entrance the following:

1. Appointment letter (original and Photocopy)
  2. Passport
  3. He gave me the PDS forms (Patient Data Sheet) that I need to fill-up. Just fill-up those with the “check marks”. You can fill this up inside the lobby.
  1. Patient Data – Your name, DOB, POB, age, Address,
  2. Petitioner’s Data – name, address, phone number, relation to petitioner
  3. POE
  4. The guard also put a stamp on my right hand.

FIRST FLOOR/LOBBY:

After filling-up the forms, I presented the forms and passport to the USA Information Counter. They will check what you wrote there and will ask for a photo ID (2x2 -> write your name at the back of the picture). She gave me a number and was asked to go to the Photo Room for picture taking. This is behind the Info counter. Then I was asked to go to the 5th Floor to pay at the cashier.

5th FLOOR:

> From the elevator, go to the extreme right for the cashier. I paid p4655.00. Then I was asked to proceed to 3rd floor for the CXR.

3rd FLOOR:

1. Presented the forms and passport to the Table Counter. Then I was asked to seat and wait for my name to be called.
  2. Name called, they gave me papers to sign. Asked me to write my LMP (Last Menstrual Period) on the documents and signed it. I was asked to take a seat again.
  3. Name called. I was asked to write and sign my name on their log book and made to sign a piece of white paper for the CXR. They gave me my forms and passport and were asked to proceed to the (female) changing area.
  4. Took off upper shirt and brassiere and wore the gown and waited for my turn for the CXR. Radiology technician gave me back my forms and passport and told me to proceed to 4th floor for the laboratory exams.

4th FLOOR:

1. I walked up the stairs to the fourth floor. I gave my forms and passport to the counter (on the left side from the stairs). The lady gave me the HIV waiver form for me to sign. I gave that back to her and she gave me a vial and urine specimen container. She told me to proceed to the Laboratory straight ahead and to the right.
  2. I am 5th on the line. Lady Medical Technologist extracted blood, and asked me for my urine specimen. You have to use the rest room inside the laboratory. Gave it back to them and was asked to wait again.
  3. My name was called at the counter; lady gave me my forms back and was asked to proceed to 5th floor. I saw that they tested for Syphilis, HIV and pregnancy test. Urine exam is also used to test for drugs.
5th FLOOR:
  1. I gave my forms to the USA counter (right side counter since the left side counter is for the Canada, Australia and New Zealand applicants). The lady told me to wait again.
  2. Name called. I was asked to proceed to ROOM 1 for the EYE CHECK-UP. After the eye check-up I was asked to give the forms to the counter again. Waiting time again.
  3. Name called. Height and weight. Waiting time again.
  4. Name called. Vital signs. Waiting time again.
  5. Name called. Immunization interview.
  6. She asked me if I had Chickenpox and asked for the scar. She noted where the scar is. She told me I will only need MMR then asked me to go to back the USA counter. Waiting time again.
  7. After this, you can take a few minutes break to eat, since there will be a longer waiting time to wait for the PE.
  8. Name called. Lady at USA Counter gave me my forms and gave me a number for room number 6.
ROOM NUMBER 6 (Dr. AT).
  1. She asked me to undress.
  2. Asked me to lie down. Checked my heart beat (stethoscope on my left chest). Palpated my abdomen while asking me if I had been pregnant or any abortions. Then she asked me to raise my arms up and palpated for my breast.
  3. Then she asked me to lie on my left side, knees on chest, and she examined my private area (just look of course, no touching and no IE).
  4. Then she asked me to take a sit and dangle my legs. She palpated for my thyroids while asking me to swallow (2 xs).
  5. I was asked to dress-up.
  6. She asked me the following:
  1. Any operations/hospitalizations
  2. Any heart disease, Diabetes
  3. If I had taken any medicines like Marijuana/shabu (etc)
  4. If I had criminal records/behaviors
  5. If I have dentures? Complete set of teeth? She didn’t even check my throat/teeth.
  6. Earring holes? How many? One of the applicants was asked to go back to the 4th floor (Laboratory) for additional exams because she have multiple earring holes.

That’s it. Don’t worry about the PE because they don’t even do a thorough PE!!!

I went back to the USA Counter and the lady gave me back the receipt and my passport. I was told to go back there tomorrow/the next day at 130pm for my vaccine and releasing of results.

MY 2ND DAY OF MEDICAL EXAM:

I arrived there at 1230pm. Showed the lobby guard my receipt and passport. He stamped my receipt that said: "COUNTER A" then told me to drop the receipt on counter A- Ground floor and wait for my name to be called.

After a long wait of 3-1/2 hours, I heard my name called through their PA system and for me to go to Immunization room at the 2nd floor.

2nd FLOOR: IMMUNIZATION ROOM:

The nurse asked for my passport? My last mens? Any allergies? Then she gave me the MMR vaccine. Gave me back the passport with a piece of paper for Vaccine Precautions, then she told me to go back to ground floor for the releasing.

Medical results and documents will be released not on a first come-first served basis but depending on the Physical Examination and laboratory results which will be conducted and processed in accordance with the Guidelines set by the US Department of State, the US Embassy and CDC. This is the reason for the long wait.

After an hour, my name was called at Window/Counter E. The nurse asked for my passport and 2 pictures (2x2 and write name on the back of the pics). She asked me to sign the PDS form (left lower hand corner of 1st page) for the releasing of the CXR plates. She gave me my Immunization record (personal copy) and told me that I need to have the TD shots in the US since it is not routinely given and not available here. She said we don't need to bring the CXR plate and Immunization record during the interview, but we need to bring it with us to the US. She said they will be the one to forward the medical results/records and the passport to USEM for our interview.

They advise that we photocopy our personal copy of Immunization Record for future use.

Hope this info helps.

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

You can also try to visit the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS AREA: PHILIPPINES", there are several members there that shared their medical and interview experiences.

MY MEDICAL EXPERIENCE at SLMCEC

(19 March 2007 @1230pm)

1st Day:

Present to the Guard at the Entrance the following:

1. Appointment letter (original and Photocopy)
  2. Passport
  3. He gave me the PDS forms (Patient Data Sheet) that I need to fill-up. Just fill-up those with the “check marks”. You can fill this up inside the lobby.
  1. Patient Data – Your name, DOB, POB, age, Address,
  2. Petitioner’s Data – name, address, phone number, relation to petitioner
  3. POE
  4. The guard also put a stamp on my right hand.

FIRST FLOOR/LOBBY:

After filling-up the forms, I presented the forms and passport to the USA Information Counter. They will check what you wrote there and will ask for a photo ID (2x2 -> write your name at the back of the picture). She gave me a number and was asked to go to the Photo Room for picture taking. This is behind the Info counter. Then I was asked to go to the 5th Floor to pay at the cashier.

5th FLOOR:

> From the elevator, go to the extreme right for the cashier. I paid p4655.00. Then I was asked to proceed to 3rd floor for the CXR.

3rd FLOOR:

1. Presented the forms and passport to the Table Counter. Then I was asked to seat and wait for my name to be called.
  2. Name called, they gave me papers to sign. Asked me to write my LMP (Last Menstrual Period) on the documents and signed it. I was asked to take a seat again.
  3. Name called. I was asked to write and sign my name on their log book and made to sign a piece of white paper for the CXR. They gave me my forms and passport and were asked to proceed to the (female) changing area.
  4. Took off upper shirt and brassiere and wore the gown and waited for my turn for the CXR. Radiology technician gave me back my forms and passport and told me to proceed to 4th floor for the laboratory exams.
4th FLOOR:
  1. I walked up the stairs to the fourth floor. I gave my forms and passport to the counter (on the left side from the stairs). The lady gave me the HIV waiver form for me to sign. I gave that back to her and she gave me a vial and urine specimen container. She told me to proceed to the Laboratory straight ahead and to the right.
  2. I am 5th on the line. Lady Medical Technologist extracted blood, and asked me for my urine specimen. You have to use the rest room inside the laboratory. Gave it back to them and was asked to wait again.
  3. My name was called at the counter; lady gave me my forms back and was asked to proceed to 5th floor. I saw that they tested for Syphilis, HIV and pregnancy test. Urine exam is also used to test for drugs.
5th FLOOR:
  1. I gave my forms to the USA counter (right side counter since the left side counter is for the Canada, Australia and New Zealand applicants). The lady told me to wait again.
  2. Name called. I was asked to proceed to ROOM 1 for the EYE CHECK-UP. After the eye check-up I was asked to give the forms to the counter again. Waiting time again.
  3. Name called. Height and weight. Waiting time again.
  4. Name called. Vital signs. Waiting time again.
  5. Name called. Immunization interview.
  6. She asked me if I had Chickenpox and asked for the scar. She noted where the scar is. She told me I will only need MMR then asked me to go to back the USA counter. Waiting time again.
  7. After this, you can take a few minutes break to eat, since there will be a longer waiting time to wait for the PE.
  8. Name called. Lady at USA Counter gave me my forms and gave me a number for room number 6.
ROOM NUMBER 6 (Dr. AT).
  1. She asked me to undress.
  2. Asked me to lie down. Checked my heart beat (stethoscope on my left chest). Palpated my abdomen while asking me if I had been pregnant or any abortions. Then she asked me to raise my arms up and palpated for my breast.
  3. Then she asked me to lie on my left side, knees on chest, and she examined my private area (just look of course, no touching and no IE).
  4. Then she asked me to take a sit and dangle my legs. She palpated for my thyroids while asking me to swallow (2 xs).
  5. I was asked to dress-up.
  6. She asked me the following:
  1. Any operations/hospitalizations
  2. Any heart disease, Diabetes
  3. If I had taken any medicines like Marijuana/shabu (etc)
  4. If I had criminal records/behaviors
  5. If I have dentures? Complete set of teeth? She didn’t even check my throat/teeth.
  6. Earring holes? How many? One of the applicants was asked to go back to the 4th floor (Laboratory) for additional exams because she have multiple earring holes.

That’s it. Don’t worry about the PE because they don’t even do a thorough PE!!!

I went back to the USA Counter and the lady gave me back the receipt and my passport. I was told to go back there tomorrow/the next day at 130pm for my vaccine and releasing of results.

MY 2ND DAY OF MEDICAL EXAM:

I arrived there at 1230pm. Showed the lobby guard my receipt and passport. He stamped my receipt that said: "COUNTER A" then told me to drop the receipt on counter A- Ground floor and wait for my name to be called.

After a long wait of 3-1/2 hours, I heard my name called through their PA system and for me to go to Immunization room at the 2nd floor.

2nd FLOOR: IMMUNIZATION ROOM:

The nurse asked for my passport? My last mens? Any allergies? Then she gave me the MMR vaccine. Gave me back the passport with a piece of paper for Vaccine Precautions, then she told me to go back to ground floor for the releasing.

Medical results and documents will be released not on a first come-first served basis but depending on the Physical Examination and laboratory results which will be conducted and processed in accordance with the Guidelines set by the US Department of State, the US Embassy and CDC. This is the reason for the long wait.

After an hour, my name was called at Window/Counter E. The nurse asked for my passport and 2 pictures (2x2 and write name on the back of the pics). She asked me to sign the PDS form (left lower hand corner of 1st page) for the releasing of the CXR plates. She gave me my Immunization record (personal copy) and told me that I need to have the TD shots in the US since it is not routinely given and not available here. She said we don't need to bring the CXR plate and Immunization record during the interview, but we need to bring it with us to the US. She said they will be the one to forward the medical results/records and the passport to USEM for our interview.

They advise that we photocopy our personal copy of Immunization Record for future use.

Hope this info helps.

Helen, your details of your experience has certainly eased a lot of worry. We read your post together, and although my fiancé considers herself somewhat of a worry wart, You have more than reassured her that she has nothing to fear. Thanks,

Mark

Yo Mark! Helen is a doctor and does know what she's talking about. One thing she may have failed to mention is try to have the medical about a month early in case something pops up.

I had my wife get a TB check about 8 months prior to her medical. Also she did St. Lukes 2 months before the scheduled medical.

Definitely don't have your lady go during her period also.It will delay completion of the medical.

Not easy for some pinay to hang around Manila.

Not that safe naman!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Helen, your details of your experience has certainly eased a lot of worry. We read your post together, and although my fiancé considers herself somewhat of a worry wart, You have more than reassured her that she has nothing to fear. Thanks,

Mark

It's my pleasure to help. And like what beckypua said, if possible have an early medical exam (I had mine 1 month ahead of schedule) and don't go there if you have your monthly period as they will not be able to assess you thoroughly (for the PE and urine specimen will be tainted with blood). Good Luck!

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

• 6 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello guys!!! Thanks a lot for all the informations on how the medical exam goes and sharing your experiences...Truly this site is very helpful to each and everyone who will scan and read here...

God bless!!!!!!!

Edited by Rodge & Ninfa

ea924d6b6b.png

FILING FOR LIFTING OF CONDITION

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.