one...two...tree

First Celebration of Birthday in America

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is question for any Filipinas (or their spouses) who've lived here in the states and have already celebrated your birthday here. How was it? Were you hoping for something more elaborate?

This is question for any Filipinas (or their spouses) who've lived here in the states and have already celebrated your birthday here. How was it? Were you hoping for something more elaborate?

Yazi's first b/day here is not till next month. guess now the pressure is on... :yes:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Steven - This is America! You'll find fat pigs everywhere... Opps! You're talking about something else... :blush:

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Claudeth was spoiled rotten :P

I'm sure she was. :P May I ask, did she ask for Lechon (roasted pig) and if so, was it difficult to find?

Steven, if you need/want (and dare :P ) to roast a pig yourself, Justin and his friends made one for our post wedding BBQ

It came out great, I can tell him to forward you the tips

100_0987.jpg

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I celebrated my first birthday here in US last June. My husband woke me up with a kiss, a dozen roses and a birthday cake. I didn't expect for a celebration because that time we just got married and he spent a lot for the wedding. On the evening he brought me to Olive Garden, i thought it was just a simple dinner for just the two of us, but i was surprized to see all our friends were there. Though my family were not there it was the best birthday i ever had.

Steven - This is America! You'll find fat pigs everywhere... Opps! You're talking about something else... :blush:

but there not as tender and juicy... opps, my bad also... :blush:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline

I'm sure she was. :P May I ask, did she ask for Lechon (roasted pig) and if so, was it difficult to find?

Steven, if you need/want (and dare :P ) to roast a pig yourself, Justin and his friends made one for our post wedding BBQ

It came out great, I can tell him to forward you the tips

100_0987.jpg

Saludos,

Caro

Thanks, Caro! That's way out of my league at this time (we live in an apt.) but maybe someday. :star:

I celebrated my first birthday here in US last June. My husband woke me up with a kiss, a dozen roses and a birthday cake. I didn't expect for a celebration because that time we just got married and he spent a lot for the wedding. On the evening he brought me to Olive Garden, i thought it was just a simple dinner for just the two of us, but i was surprized to see all our friends were there. Though my family were not there it was the best birthday i ever had.

That was nice! :yes:

my husband knows that i have a bit of social-anxiety. so big party is not for me lol... we just recently moved into our new house last june so everybody wants to drop by or see it so its not a big deal for me if he said a friend of his would like to drop by for a beer or two. the day before my birthday he told me that our friend would like to have a dinner in the house and you know me, im not a COOK so i told him il just throw some burgers and shrimps on the grill lol. i noticed that day that he lets out all the frozen meats like feeding a bunch of people, so i thought ok no big deal. il cook that too... suddenly his parents came, plus a couple of friends and i notice my fave "chocolate cake". :blink: gosh i panic! lol... i was freakin out that everybody has to eat my cooking in my freakin surprise bday party. lol... (a very surprised indeed)... i think we had 20 guests more or less and when they left my husband gave me a card and a necklace... but on the next day (my real bday) he surprised me by pimping my mustang with big stereo system and a remote, plus an ipod... so it was awsome for him to do that in my first bday in the US. it feels like everyday is my bday though coz if i mentioned something that i like (not that i wanted to have it, just adoring something lol), he'll take it seriously and will buy it out of the blue (not that im complaining lol)...

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline
my husband knows that i have a bit of social-anxiety. so big party is not for me lol... we just recently moved into our new house last june so everybody wants to drop by or see it so its not a big deal for me if he said a friend of his would like to drop by for a beer or two. the day before my birthday he told me that our friend would like to have a dinner in the house and you know me, im not a COOK so i told him il just throw some burgers and shrimps on the grill lol. i noticed that day that he lets out all the frozen meats like feeding a bunch of people, so i thought ok no big deal. il cook that too... suddenly his parents came, plus a couple of friends and i notice my fave "chocolate cake". :blink: gosh i panic! lol... i was freakin out that everybody has to eat my cooking in my freakin surprise bday party. lol... (a very surprised indeed)... i think we had 20 guests more or less and when they left my husband gave me a card and a necklace... but on the next day (my real bday) he surprised me by pimping my mustang with big stereo system and a remote, plus an ipod... so it was awsome for him to do that in my first bday in the US. it feels like everyday is my bday though coz if i mentioned something that i like (not that i wanted to have it, just adoring something lol), he'll take it seriously and will buy it out of the blue (not that im complaining lol)...

LOL...thanks for sharing. :yes: My wife is very social and loves get togethers. :star:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There is several place in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix area) that you can get roast pig. Or you can get sucking pig and roast it your self. I live in the Glendale I name off several place over here. Have fun that is the most important thing about b-day party. God bless

OUR Time Line;

Nov 4, 2004 Met on YM Pool Game Chat room

Dec 30, 2005 Surprized her with our 1st meeting in person

Dec 31, 2005/Jan 1, 2006 Got Engaged

Jan 10, 2006 Had my 56th Birthday party in Philippines

Jan 11, 2006 Left the go come back Home

Mar 20, 2006 Found out Sonia was Pregnant

Oct 7, 2006 Our son was born

Nov 5, 2006 Arrived in the Philippine for a visit

Nov 11, 2006 Had our son Basptized

Nov 19, 2006 Left the Philippines again

July 31, 2007 Mailed inI 129 F was mailed in

Aug 13, 2007 Received

Sep 25, 2007 I 797 Notice of Action Mailed out

Feb 25, 2008 NAO2 has been approve sent to Manila.

Mar. 31, 2008 Made phone call about interview set dates

Apr. 15, 2008 Medical Exam St. Luke (GOOD TO GO!!!!!)

Apr. 24, 2008 Interview(APPROVED AND WAITING VISA)

Jun. 6, 2008 Finally got Visa at about VISA[/size]

Aug. 05, 2008 On a jet plane head for the Philippines to get my family

Aug. 06, , 2008 we are together again

AUGUST 19, 2008 POE Seattle, WA.

NOV. 8, 2008 Wedding

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Paul surprised me with a birthday Cake he bought after work then he invited his family in a beach in that weekend. We grilled hotdogs and burgers then spent whole day swimming. The next day we went to mall for some clothes and shoes shopping. I had a wonderful birthday last May.

Lily

myspace.com profile

Friendster profile

POE LAX --------------- APRIL 29,2007 / JAX, Florida APRIL 30,2007

MARRIED -------------- JUNE 18,2007

AOS SENT ------------- JULY 10,2007 - via DHL courier service

AOS RECEIVED ------- JULY 11,2007(day 1)

NOA1------------------- JULY 18,2007 (day 7)

BIOMETRICS ---------- AUGUST 13,2007 (day 26)

INTERVIEW-------------SEPTEMBER 25,2007.....10:30AM (day 69)

GREEN CARD APPROVED exactly 69 days ~~~~~~SEPTEMBER 25,2007

Card Ordered for Prod'n ---------SEPTEMBER 28,2007 (email from USCIS CRIS)

Welcome Letter (E-mail & Snail Mail)---------------OCTOBER 03,2007

Green Card Received via snail mail ~~~~~~~ OCTOBER 05,2007 (79 DAYS)

SSN Approved ---------NOVEMBER 05,2007

SS Card Received -----NOVEMBER 19,2007 via snail mail

THANK YOU VISA JOURNEY !!!

It was depressing. My in-laws did not call me on the actual day, which I found very strange. They didn't call my husband either when it was his day. They usually celebrate the family member's bday on a weekend or when the celebrant goes to their house for a visit. A simple call to greet isn't that hard, is it? Anyway, I won't mope around about it.

So we went over my in-laws' place, ate dinner with them and conversed. The only food that came close to the "cake" was the pie. Not that I didn't like it, I am just sharing my story. My husband and I also went to a fine restaurant, and he requested, prior to my arrival, for a bday cake complete with the candles, singing and all the works. It didn't happen. The staff forgot to do the entire thing, and when my husband asked, then only did they start getting the cake ready. It could have made a difference, if they brought in the cake with the candles, but oh well, they forgot the candles this time. And one staff even chimed in "Blow the candles, make your wish?". I don't really fancy cakes and all the jazz, but they are supposed to do what was requested of them & everything was paid for.

In other words, it was the worst bday ever (plus the fact that I am away from my loving Fil family) but it was the best bday too since I have spent it with the most important man in my life. And that alone, made the difference.

So make sure you plan it well & ahead for your wife, or at least make her feel loved and welcome. Missing the family is the worst on that special day. It never hurts to pitch in some flowers and a bday card and some gifts, if she's into that.

Good luck!

Edited by mysticbluerose

Timeline

It was depressing. My in-laws did not call me on the actual day, which I found very strange. They didn't call my husband either when it was his day. They usually celebrate the family member's bday on a weekend or when the celebrant goes to their house for a visit. A simple call to greet isn't that hard, is it? Anyway, I won't mope around about it.

So we went over my in-laws' place, ate dinner with them and conversed. The only food that came close to the "cake" was the pie. Not that I didn't like it, I am just sharing my story. My husband and I also went to a fine restaurant, and he requested, prior to my arrival, for a bday cake complete with the candles, singing and all the works. It didn't happen. The staff forgot to do the entire thing, and when my husband asked, then only did they start getting the cake ready. It could have made a difference, if they brought in the cake with the candles, but oh well, they forgot the candles this time. And one staff even chimed in "Blow the candles, make your wish?". I don't really fancy cakes and all the jazz, but they are supposed to do what was requested of them & everything was paid for.

In other words, it was the worst bday ever (plus the fact that I am away from my loving Fil family) but it was the best bday too since I have spent it with the most important man in my life. And that alone, made the difference.

So make sure you plan it well & ahead for your wife, or at least make her feel loved and welcome. Missing the family is the worst on that special day. It never hurts to pitch in some flowers and a bday card and some gifts, if she's into that.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing that. I have to say that we Americans (I'm generalizing here) are not that festive about birthdays. My parents were very low key when it came to birthdays even when we were kids and I'm ashamed to say that as an adult, I've kind of adopted their way. I really like the festivity that many Filipinos have when it comes to celebrating, so I hope I can get out of the dreary, almost unnoticable way I approach birthdays. :blush:

(You reminded me to let my parents know when my wife's birthday is so they can call her on that day). :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.