nouri12

First name unknown

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello

My fiance has FNU listed as his first name. His passport has only his last name listed with no first name. We are applying for k-1 visa and he is still under AP for the last 16 months. My question is Will he have a problem obtaining a ss card and driver's license with FNU listed as his first name on his Visa, & passport.

Please advise!

I have called both DMV and SS and both have said that whatever name is listed on Visa will appear on his ss and DMV card. They have not given me this in writing therefore I am doubtful

Hello

My fiance has FNU listed as his first name. His passport has only his last name listed with no first name. We are applying for k-1 visa and he is still under AP for the last 16 months. My question is Will he have a problem obtaining a ss card and driver's license with FNU listed as his first name on his Visa, & passport.

Please advise!

I have called both DMV and SS and both have said that whatever name is listed on Visa will appear on his ss and DMV card. They have not given me this in writing therefore I am doubtful

FNU :blink: I don't know...you need to ask a lawyer with this matter.

Hello

Please advise!

*Where* does your fiance have FNU "listed" as his first name? First you state is passport only has his last name, then you state FNU on the visa & passport.

Whatever his legal name is what should be reflected on all documents though.

Hello

Please advise!

*Where* does your fiance have FNU "listed" as his first name? First you state is passport only has his last name, then you state FNU on the visa & passport.

Whatever his legal name is what should be reflected on all documents though.

What do you call him? woah, confusing....

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Timeline

From India I could have guessed. They have a shortage of names there? LOL

Getting a driver's license can cause a bit of a problem, because most states check the driver's license application name against the SSN record. With only one name, it goes in the last name position and Unknown goes in the first name position, but only the single name appears on the SSN card. So when he goes to apply for a driver's license and puts Bob on the application, DMV says it doesn't match the SSN record, because that has Unknown Bob. In that case you can ask for an SSN Verification Printout, which will show what is actually on the SSN record, but haven't heard back from anyone if any DMV offices accepted that as proof of why the name doesn't match.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202105

RM 00202.105 Form SS-5 Item 1 — Name

C 3. Use of Single Name Only

If the individual has only one name, annotate the paper Form SS-5 as “single name.” In MES, however, you must show the first name as “Unknown” and show the single name in the last name field. When keyed in this manner, only the single name will appear on the card.

If the immigration document or record (e.g., SAVE) indicates the person has a single name (e.g., the record/document shows “no first name,” “FNU,” or in any way indicates the person has a single name, enter “unknown” as the first name in MES.

Never enter an application in MES with the single name in the first name field and unknown or any other abbreviation or designation in the last name field. For example: the single name “Mary” must be keyed in MES as first name = “unknown”, middle name = (leave it blank), and last name = Mary (e.g., key as: unknown, , Mary).

NOTE: Do not use abbreviated entries such as: Unk, NFN, NGN, FNU, none, not given, unknown or any other abbreviation or similar entry in any application name field unless evidence has been submitted to establish that such an entry is a legitimate name (e.g., there is evidence supporting this name).

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

Please advise!

It won't be a problem. I was listed as a FNU too hehe. I did have to answer a lot of questions about having only one name, but mostly because it's unusual here and they're curious. In our wedding certificate, they put "Legally Omitted" as maiden last name.

My first SS has FNU on it too, but after I got married and have my name changed (yay last name) I was able to get rid of the FNU

btw, FNU is abbreviation of First Name Unknown

Edited by Kitty_Cat

June 15 : AOS package mailed in

June 18 : Package arrived

June 22 : NOA1

June 26 : Touched

June 28 : Touched

July 08 : RFE received

July 10 : RFE mailed in

July 14 : RFE arrived

July 25 : Biometric

August 24 : Case transferred to CSC

August 26 : Touched

August 30 : Touched/Case received by CSC

August 31 : Touched

Sept 01 : Touched

Sept 07 : Touched

Sept 15 : AOS APPROVED!!! Got email saying welcome notice is mailed

Sept 17 : Touched

Sept 20 : Touched, got email saying that the case has been approved

Sept 21 : Touched

Sept 21 : Greencard received!!!!!

July 12 : I-751 application sent to CSC

July 16 : Check cashed

July 18 : NOA1 received

July 24 : Biometric appointment letter received

August 8 : Biometric appointment

August 8 : Touched

August 9 : Touched

August 12 : Touched

Dec 09 : Approved

JTNp.jpg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.