Misty1979

Anyone with experience contacting state Senators?

19 posts in this topic

I contacted my state senator, Senator Levin, directly by calling his Detroit office's number, and within a day I had sent back the form. I only had to have one form since my wife and I were already married. Within a week they had already contacted the California Service Center and found where my case had been misplaced, and then I used them a few months later when the Montreal Consulate was being awful after a bogus denial.

As far as the backlog goes, you'll probably not have much luck getting it moved along, as everyone has to wait for their turn unfortunately. My senator's representative and our lawyer said that they can only help when the case has hit a "snag", but usually don't do anything when it's just administrative processes taking longer than what was posted. Good luck!

Edited by bowflex

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Just wanted to add another little tidbit about when we wrote the senator. As a return address I used husbands current address here in town. When we received the reply from the senators office it was addressed to his parents/the family farm address not the return address on the letter. Me thinks that this is probably the address that he has been registered for voting and that they actually looked him up to check if he was a registered voter. Just a bit of food for thought for everyone to ponder.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I never write anything by mail, I went to my respective Senator/Representative's website, download the privacy forms and faxed it in. I then called to confirm that they received it and then waited for a response by email.

I contacted them about the backlog in MTL for 3 offices:

Senator Barack Obama - Turns out they are too busy to care or look into the issue. They told me their immigration person is swamped and that they couldn't do anything for me. I don't care if he's running for president, his staff still has a job to do.

U.S. Representative Melissa Bean - Took 4 weeks to mail me a response that they looked into the issue but I had to just wait.

U.S. Representative Judy Biggert - I LOVED THEIR OFFICE. They cared about my situation, sat and talked with me about it, emailed Montreal many times on my behalf only to get short and to the point responses from MTL. This was an office that really wanted to help me out and tried, but had no power to do anything about the backlog.

Good luck and let me know if I can provide more info.

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hey Misty

you may have gotten through by now, but if not... I just called my senator and never had to sign any privacy form. they might not want to talk to you since you're calling from a Canadian #, so have your hubby call and ask to talk to the immigration person. most of the time the senators are pretty helpful in finding out why something is taking too long. hopefully making Montreal deal with a bunch of Senator inquiries will kick the correct ###

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.