Nellag

I-601 at Lagos Consulate

2 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My fiancee lives in Lagos, Nigeria and after the whole delay in getting the petiton approved (I filed in May, 2006), we found out we had to file a 601 due to medical reasons. The american consulate officer gave her the waiver forms, and told her to get me to send proof of income - pay stubs and all in addition to the necessary forms and signatures. I sent her enough proof of income which totalled over $9,000/monthly. Even though they stipulated a check payment of $545 they would not accept a US check and I had to send money via Moneygram to her. Anyway, she submitted all documents to them Friday. What is interesting is that the lady just read my supporting letter, took a look at the original copies of my pay stubs and gave them back to her saying, "good". She said she will make an enty on the computer and that she did not need them. Is this normal not to include the proof with the application? Also, her passport was taken and was told the decision is not made at the consulate but that the forms will be sent out. Is it also normal to hold on to the passport during the entire waiting period?

Anyone gone through the waiver process in Lagos? How long did you have to wait?

May 19, 2006 - Mailed I-129 to NSC (from Nigeria)

June 5, 2006 - NSC received application

June 9, 2006 - Check cleared

June 23, 2006 - USCIS sent RFE

August 4, 2007 - Called USCIS for receipt #

August 14, 2007 - Cousin forwarded RFE

August 21, 2007 - Received RFE from Cousin

August 22, 2007 - Mailed back RFE to CSC - from Nigeria

Received no acknowledgment of receipt of RFE. Mail may have been lost or stolen. Called USCIS twice and they could not confirm receipt.

September 25, 2006 - Case was closed (RFE not received)

November 24, 2006 - Called CSC (Case re-opened, IMBRA RFE to be re-sent)

December 1, 2006 - CSC resends IMBRA RFE to USA address

December 11, 2006 - Had IMBRA RFE couriered from USA

December 28, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE in Africa (severely delayed by holiday season)

January 6, 2007 - Mailed back IMBRA RFE

January 16, 2007 - Touched (CSC acknowledges receipt of RFE)

January 23, 2007 - NOA2 sent

July 17, 2007 - Scheduled Interview date

September 21, 2007 - Submitted I-601 waiver application

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
My fiancee lives in Lagos, Nigeria and after the whole delay in getting the petiton approved (I filed in May, 2006), we found out we had to file a 601 due to medical reasons. The american consulate officer gave her the waiver forms, and told her to get me to send proof of income - pay stubs and all in addition to the necessary forms and signatures. I sent her enough proof of income which totalled over $9,000/monthly. Even though they stipulated a check payment of $545 they would not accept a US check and I had to send money via Moneygram to her. Anyway, she submitted all documents to them Friday. What is interesting is that the lady just read my supporting letter, took a look at the original copies of my pay stubs and gave them back to her saying, "good". She said she will make an enty on the computer and that she did not need them. Is this normal not to include the proof with the application? Also, her passport was taken and was told the decision is not made at the consulate but that the forms will be sent out. Is it also normal to hold on to the passport during the entire waiting period?

Anyone gone through the waiver process in Lagos? How long did you have to wait?

It's a good thing that they took her passport, that should tell you that they are willing to give her the visa; just hang in there and pray you will hear something good real soon.

Good Luck,

Jamil

Met online

Filed for K1--> Denied 2005

-------------------------------------------

Married and filed for K3 2006

Got K3 this time --->August 2007

Entered the US-----> September 2007

Waiting to Adjust Status--->..............

***Live Like You Are Going To Die Tomorrow,

Dream Like You Are Going To Live Forever!***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.