Oban

DCF Frankfurt - Affidavit of Support

20 posts in this topic

Hi all!

4 days ago I've found this msg board while looking for information about the DCF. I've spent quite some time reading tons of threads and postings (very helpful!!!).

My wife and I are currently living in Germany, but we've decided to go "back" to San Francisco in 2008 (January / February). After reading some information regarding the visa process the DCF sounds like the fastest and "easiest" way.

As I said, I read tons of postings and I tried to search the msg board, but there are still a few things I would like to clarify. I hope you guys are able to help me:

1.) "domicile"

I read a lot about the fact that a Sponsor ("the main sponsor") needs a domicile in the US. We are currently BOTH in Germany. The only evidence we have to go back to the US is:

- a bank accounts

- spouse's parents

- friends

- the wish to go back asap!

We are looking into jobs right now, but based on experience I have not much hope. I think it will work out to find something in person, but when you are thousand miles away it is hard to get a job. I am mentioning that, because a job would be a great evidence. I also read that the Frankfurt consulate is NOT making a big deal out of the "domicile" issue. Is that correct? What should I do?

2.) Affidavit of Support -> joint sponsor

Because of no US-income we would have to write "0.00 USD". We only have a few assets, but I am not 100% sure that these assets will be enough. But I am not really worried about that, because we would have a joint sponsor.

My question is: I understood that we will have to carry the signed Affidavit of Support with us to the interview in Frankfurt. But what about the 2nd one (the Affidavit of Support from the joint sponsor?).

Is it okay if our joint sponsor sends us his signed form via FedEx or UPS and we carry it with us to the interview? What is the correct and most efficient way? Because it seems to be the most convenient if we could bring all the affidavits with us.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Oban

Edited by Oban

My timeline... (Frankfurt)

10/26/2007 Filed I-130 in person + paid 355 USD

10/26/2007 Filed DS-230 part 1 + got "case number"

10/26/2007 Received the document checklist

11/08/2007 Immunizations check

11/12/2007 Medical

11/16/2007 Faxed the "checklist" back to the consulate

11/26/2007 Confirmation via e-mail that the consulate received the "checklist" and medical result

12/18/2007 I-130 petition approved!!!

12/20/2007 Notice of Approval arrives via snail mail

02/01/2008 Visa interview - APPROVAL!

02/05/2008 Received visa via snail mail. DCF DONE!

02/23/2008 Arrived in the U.S.! Flight to Seattle via Newark as POE

03/10/2008 Welcome Letter (Form I-797C, Notice of Action) arrived

03/15/2008 Another Welcome Letter (Form I-797C) arrived... what a waste...

03/20/2008 Received I-551 (green card) via snail mail

03/24/2008 Received social security card via snail mail

10/20/2008 Moved from Seattle to Mobile, AL

06/18/2009 Wife filed for divorce

10/07/2009 Divorce was finalized

12/17/2009 Filed I-751 to remove conditions on residence under waiver

12/25/2009 Refiled I-751 because USPS returned the filed to me (hmpf!!!)

12/31/2009 Vermont Service Center received I-751

01/27/2010 Received the Biometrics Appointment Letter. Never received my NOA1.

02/01/2010 Biometrics Appointment in New Orleans, LA.

04/24/2010 Approval of Removal of Conditions! No RFE or interview. Yes!!!

Hi all!

4 days ago I've found this msg board while looking for information about the DCF. I've spent quite some time reading tons of threads and postings (very helpful!!!).

My wife and I are currently living in Germany, but we've decided to go "back" to San Francisco in 2008 (January / February). After reading some information regarding the visa process the DCF sounds like the fastest and "easiest" way.

As I said, I read tons of postings and I tried to search the msg board, but there are still a few things I would like to clarify. I hope you guys are able to help me:

1.) "domicile"

I read a lot about the fact that a Sponsor ("the main sponsor") needs a domicile in the US. We are currently BOTH in Germany. The only evidence we have to go back to the US is:

- a bank accounts

- spouse's parents

- friends

We are looking into jobs right now, but based on experience I have not much hope. I think it will work out to find something in person, but when you are thousand miles away it is hard to get a job. I am mentioning that, because a job would be a great evidence. I also read that the Frankfurt consulate is NOT making a big deal out of the "domicile" issue. Is that correct? What should I do?

Because of no US-income we would have to write "0.00 USD". We only have a few assets, but I am not 100% sure that these assets will be enough. But I am not really worried about that, because we would have a joint sponsor.

My question is: I understood that we will have to carry the signed Affidavit of Support with us to the interview in Frankfurt. But what about the 2nd one (the Affidavit of Support from the joint sponsor?).

Is it okay if our joint sponsor sends us his signed form via FedEx or UPS and we carry it with us to the interview? What is the correct and most efficient way? Because it seems to be the most convenient if we could bring all the affidavits with us.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Oban

Hello and welcome to VJ! :)

I can't say from personal experience, but yes I've also heard that domicile is not too hard to prove when going through Frankfurt. Your accounts in the states and your parents' addresses along with stating that you will be going with your wife when she immigrates should be enough. I'm sure someone who's gone through Frankfurt can confirm that though.

Yes, that's the best way to handle the joint sponsor's I-864. You need to bring them all with you to the interview. EDIT - That is, the visa interview. I'm not sure if Frankfurt has a separate interview to file the I-130 or if that's done by post.

Good luck! :)

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Hi all!

1.) "domicile"

- a bank accounts

- spouse's parents

- friends

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Oban

Hello and welcome to VJ! :)

I can't say from personal experience, but yes I've also heard that domicile is not too hard to prove when going through Frankfurt. Your accounts in the states and your parents' addresses along with stating that you will be going with your wife when she immigrates should be enough. I'm sure someone who's gone through Frankfurt can confirm that though.

Yes, that's the best way to handle the joint sponsor's I-864. You need to bring them all with you to the interview. EDIT - That is, the visa interview. I'm not sure if Frankfurt has a separate interview to file the I-130 or if that's done by post.

Good luck! :)

Oops... I just realised it's your wife who's the USC, right?

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

In general people say it is better to file the I-130 in person. Based on what I've read the processing is faster (compared to mailing). No idea why, but hey, why risk it?

I just see one problem regarding the parents address: if we mention their address on the I-864 as a domicile we are basically screwed. Because that would mean that my wife would be a household member. The parents - as the joint sponsor - would not be able to file the I-864. They would have to go with the I-864A afaik?!?!

Or do you mean to explain the "domicile" situation separate? Like a letter? Can we just write the German address on the I-864? I mean without any trouble?

Btw: I am glad to read that we can take also the joint sponsor's I-864 WITH US, because I assumed that they would have to mail it to a center in the US and so on...

Is the consular officer not skeptical if we come along with a joint sponsor's I-864? I mean it could be a fake? I think I am just too worried!

Thanks again!

PS.: Yes, the USC is my wife

Edited by Oban

11/12/2007 Medical

11/26/2007 Confirmation via e-mail that the consulate received the "checklist" and medical result

In general people say it is better to file the I-130 in person. Based on what I've read the processing is faster (compared to mailing). No idea why, but hey, why risk it?

I just see one problem regarding the parents address: if we mention their address on the I-864 as a domicile we are basically screwed. Because that would mean that my wife would be a household member. The parents - as the joint sponsor - would not be able to file the I-864. They would have to go with the I-864A afaik?!?!

Or do you mean to explain the "domicile" situation separate? Like a letter? Can we just write the German address on the I-864? I mean without any trouble?

Btw: I am glad to read that we can take also the joint sponsor's I-864 WITH US, because I assumed that they would have to mail it to a center in the US and so on...

Is the consular officer not skeptical if we come along with a joint sponsor's I-864? I mean it could be a fake? I think I am just too worried!

Thanks again!

In addition another question... I just thought about the timeline etc.

When we hand in the I-130, we get the DS-230 + checklist, etc. afterwards. I know that we can hand in the DS-230 PART I immediately after receiving it (I mean directly at the consulate), but would that not also work with other documents?

I downloaded the "checklist", and I am sure that I can provide all needed documents without any delay (I-864's, DS-230 Part II, etc). What I mean is: can I give the CO directly the DS-230 Part I + signed and checked checklist? The only missing thing would be the I-130 approval and the medical (which is no problem to get). After approval they could start over and give me a visa interview appointment.

Sounds to me like the fastest way? Do I miss anything?

11/12/2007 Medical

Thanks again!

On the DS-230, there's a part that says where you intend to live in the US. You would put her parents' address there. And there's also a part where she says her country of domicile and she would just answer "USA". Then there's a line where you list who will accompany you to the US, and you can list your wife there (that's 21a on Part 1). That's what I meant though. No need to write a letter about it and it won't interfere with the household number for the joint sponsor or make the joint sponsor a household member as what counts is the current the situation and currently your wife is not a part of her parents' household. :)

No need to worry about any problems with bringing the joint sponsor's I-1864 with you - that's how it's supposed to be done. You'll have all the supporting documents as well (W2s and/or 1099s plus letter from employer).

About providing documents before they're asked for - I think that could work with the DS-230 and the checklist. At any rate, it wouldn't hurt to try to give it to him/her when submitting the I-130. The I-864s and supporting documents aren't shown until the visa interview. Except, is there something on the checklist about having arranged the medical? In London, you can't arrange the medical without a case number.

EDIT - I think the part about your wife's country of domicile isn't on the DS-230 but another form. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by MargotDarko

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Hi again!

Many thanks for your reply. Really helpful, thank you!

I assume the "domicile part" which is filed by my wife is on the I-864, because I haven't seen one on the DS-230. Anyway, I hope it will work. I am not used to simple answers like "Domicile: USA". Maybe I am just paranoid!!!

By the way: is it possible that in the past the form I-864 had to be notarized? I read a lot about "sworn" and "notarized" regarding the affidavit of support. Nowadays it seems that just signing it is enough?!

Regarding the medical: I have a list of "official" doctors which are allowed to do the medical for the consulate. I did not know that they need the A-Number. I assume I will get one after the I-130? Or I-130 approval?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Oban

Edited by Oban

11/12/2007 Medical

Hi again!

Many thanks for your reply. Really helpful, thank you!

I assume the "domicile part" which is filed by my wife is on the I-864, because I haven't seen one on the DS-230. Anyway, I hope it will work. I am not used to simple answers like "Domicile: USA". Maybe I am just paranoid!!!

By the way: is it possible that in the past the form I-864 had to be notarized? I read a lot about "sworn" and "notarized" regarding the affidavit of support. Nowadays it seems that just signing it is enough?!

Regarding the medical: I have a list of "official" doctors which are allowed to do the medical for the consulate. I did not know that they need the A-Number. I assume I will get one after the I-130? Or I-130 approval?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Oban

I'm glad to help. :)

Yep, a while ago, it used to be that the I-864 had to be notarized. In fact, if it would put your mind at rest and her parents' wouldn't mind doing it, they could get it notarized by a notary in the states before sending it to you. It's no longer a requirement though. I say parents because they could combine their income, but if one income is sufficient it's okay for only one parent to do the I-864 and not include the other's income.

You could call one of the doctors listed and ask if they need a case number before arranging the medical. It's a case number rather than an alien number (A-number). We received my husband's case number after the I-130 was approved.

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

I assume that the "case"-number is what I put in all "A"-number fields on all form? Even when it is no real alien number?

Based on your profile you are from the UK right? God! I would love to leave the office right now and be in London again (just for a change, you know). One of the nicest European cities in my opinion (Brighton, Dover & Canterbury are nice too).

Anyway, many thanks again! Would you mind if I pm' you if I have any further questions?

Cheers,

Oban

11/12/2007 Medical

I assume that the "case"-number is what I put in all "A"-number fields on all form? Even when it is no real alien number?

Based on your profile you are from the UK right? God! I would love to leave the office right now and be in London again (just for a change, you know). One of the nicest European cities in my opinion (Brighton, Dover & Canterbury are nice too).

Anyway, many thanks again! Would you mind if I pm' you if I have any further questions?

Cheers,

Oban

The case number isn't interchangeable with the alien number. So anywhere there's a blank for A number on the forms during the visa process, just put "N/A" as neither you nor your wife have an alien number (I'm making the hopefully okay assumption that your wife is a USC by birth and that you've never gone through any US immigration before).

Yep, I'm in the UK. In Oxford to be exact. I've got to say that my favorite European city is Paris! I find London much too overwhelming. Oxford is pretty cool though expensive. That's fine to PM me. :)

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

You assume right!

I am just one of these VISA-waiver guys who traveled 10.000 times to the US, but have never stayed there for longer. So yes, I was never in an immigration process.

And yes, my wife was born in Hawaii.

11/12/2007 Medical

Hey, just went through the visa process in Frankfurt and had my interview yesterday...

when you file the I-130 in person, you can only file the DS-230 part I at that point, nothing else... filing in person might make it about a month faster, so it's not absolutely necessary depending on your timeframe...

My wife is residing in Germany with me, but on the I-864 she listed the US as a domicile (as she has to - the thinking is that her stay in Germany is of temporary nature) She attached a copy of her bank account statement for proof and that was accepted. Did your wife file taxes in the US? Because she is required to do so even if she doesn't earn anything and lives in Germany, and if she hasn't filed, that might cause problems. We did not notarize the I-864 from our joint sponsors and it's not a requirement.

You get your case number in Frankfurt if you go in person or in the mail after 2-3 months if you file by mail and the doctor does want to know the case number as far as I know. I did the medical on the day of the interview, which went fine, except I found out that i need to freshen up two vaccinations (polio and tetanus, mine ran out last year), but that will only cause a delay of a few days as i can get it now and then send proof to Frankfurt.

blessings to you

ask more if you want

timelineAUG20.jpg

Hey, just went through the visa process in Frankfurt and had my interview yesterday...

when you file the I-130 in person, you can only file the DS-230 part I at that point, nothing else... filing in person might make it about a month faster, so it's not absolutely necessary depending on your timeframe...

My wife is residing in Germany with me, but on the I-864 she listed the US as a domicile (as she has to - the thinking is that her stay in Germany is of temporary nature) She attached a copy of her bank account statement for proof and that was accepted. Did your wife file taxes in the US? Because she is required to do so even if she doesn't earn anything and lives in Germany, and if she hasn't filed, that might cause problems. We did not notarize the I-864 from our joint sponsors and it's not a requirement.

You get your case number in Frankfurt if you go in person or in the mail after 2-3 months if you file by mail and the doctor does want to know the case number as far as I know. I did the medical on the day of the interview, which went fine, except I found out that i need to freshen up two vaccinations (polio and tetanus, mine ran out last year), but that will only cause a delay of a few days as i can get it now and then send proof to Frankfurt.

blessings to you

ask more if you want

Excellent point about tax returns. If she's earned above the threshold for filing requirements, she'll need to have filed no matter where she was living at the time. If she didn't earn anything at all, she doesn't have to file. She'll need a statement saying that she didn't have to file and she'll need to cite a certain IRS regulation. Here's a link in another forum about it -

http://forum.diveintoamerica.com/showthread.php?t=3607

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.