Emerald

US life V's OZ Life

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm am interested in hearing what your life in the US is v's what your life in OZ was? I've grown up in the city and am over it, my hubby is from a country town in the US where we will move to 2yrs from now. (i've been there 4 times now and i do love the country town feel, it has 60,000 people)

In Oz we have good jobs that earn us excellent money, however we can't afford a house, childcare is expensive, cars are expensive not to mention registration. We have no lifestyle as we can't afford to do anything as we live pay check to pay check, and we can't cut costs anywhere else then we already have.

After many hours on the phone to my sister in law she said it's cheaper there and more affordable, We can get a house and land for $60,000 next to her, thats a deposit here. Her hubby earns $30,000 a year they go camping, fishing, four wheeling, hunting, holidays in the us and she's not working. They have three kids and a $57.000 morgage.

Anyways enough rambling

have you found it cheaper? easier? more affordable? how have you adjusted? How did your parents take the news you were moving O/s thats a big issue for me.

Any help advise on your experience would be great

Thanks

Emerald

Hey Emerald,

I lived in Melbourne all of my life and it certainly was a culture shock when moving to the US. Americans have quite an outgoing culture and I’m not talking about going to the footy or to the pub or Sharon’s BBQ. It's a service oriented country. For example, a waiter works hard to satisfy a customer to get a tip. Unlike down under were the attitude of waiters is take it or leave it..

Most houses in the suburbs barely have any fences. Unlike Aus were someone would call Today Tonight if the neighbour dares cut down the 2 metre fence.

It's funny how so many people see Australia as this breathtaking and fruitful nation for all, when in reality as you mentioned yourself it is quite an unaffordable country to live in. The last job I had before I moved to the US was with Sensis. Hey, they are owned by Telstra so the money was fantastic. Yet as you know first hand, in Australia everything costs big $$$. Shopping, eating out, driving, general living expenses, travel, services etc are quite expensive, in comparison to the US. My fiancée frowns because I love shopping at Walmart. Americans don’t understand how luck they are to have a store which sells items at prices 3 to 10 times cheaper than Australia.. The only thing that is more expensive in the US is the cost of produce and meat, in the supermarket.

I find Americans are pleasant and courteous people (excluding some NY's, democrat party supporters and people from LA who can be full of BS). People from the south are generally really nice individuals, even though northerners hang shlt on them.. The thing about Australia is that be it Melbourne or Brisbane, generally the majority of AUS has the same type of culture / attitude. Whereas I feel that the US is really a large country made up of 50 smaller countries. One state can be completely different from the next.

I still joke with my fellow white collar mates about being the beggars down under. It’s a different ball game here. All of my tradie buddies in AUS have new cars, x houses, take multiple holidays every year and live a dam good life. While office workers bring their cut lunch to work to save money.. This is something you won't see in the US, let alone most other developed nation.

Overall there are a lot less handouts here. It's up to every individual to make something of them self. Down under the 'under-dog' is always nourished and taken care of, at the expense of other hard working people. This is not the case here.

Well I hope this enlightens you just a tad on the US vs AUS.

Cheers

Harry

PS My parents are old school Europeans so they were shocked and scared about me living in the US. Well they are starting to get over it. Ironically, they didn't have much to say when i showed them the stats that Australia has the highest crime rate of any OECD country.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Wow thanks for that haza, it's good to hear your story about the differances. I've only heard negative so far from others how it's so hard there due to low wages, and i've heard some positives too.. Yet it dosn't cost you $500,000 for a 1960' s house, $700 a year to register your car, plus every other bill that comes in and is lot higher the your wages coming in.

I'd be interested to hear others opinions too. My family can't believe i want to raise my children over there. But at least you have some freedom, here your banned from so much, and they are hiking up the prices of everything but your wages.

So hopefuly in 2yrs time i'll find out what the usa is like to reside in. so far my longest stay was 6 weeks with my sister in law and dh's family.

Thank again i appreciate you posting a reply

Emerald

Hey Emerald,

I lived in Melbourne all of my life and it certainly was a culture shock when moving to the US. Americans have quite an outgoing culture and I’m not talking about going to the footy or to the pub or Sharon’s BBQ. It's a service oriented country. For example, a waiter works hard to satisfy a customer to get a tip. Unlike down under were the attitude of waiters is take it or leave it..

Most houses in the suburbs barely have any fences. Unlike Aus were someone would call Today Tonight if the neighbour dares cut down the 2 metre fence.

It's funny how so many people see Australia as this breathtaking and fruitful nation for all, when in reality as you mentioned yourself it is quite an unaffordable country to live in. The last job I had before I moved to the US was with Sensis. Hey, they are owned by Telstra so the money was fantastic. Yet as you know first hand, in Australia everything costs big $$$. Shopping, eating out, driving, general living expenses, travel, services etc are quite expensive, in comparison to the US. My fiancée frowns because I love shopping at Walmart. Americans don’t understand how luck they are to have a store which sells items at prices 3 to 10 times cheaper than Australia.. The only thing that is more expensive in the US is the cost of produce and meat, in the supermarket.

I find Americans are pleasant and courteous people (excluding some NY's, democrat party supporters and people from LA who can be full of BS). People from the south are generally really nice individuals, even though northerners hang shlt on them.. The thing about Australia is that be it Melbourne or Brisbane, generally the majority of AUS has the same type of culture / attitude. Whereas I feel that the US is really a large country made up of 50 smaller countries. One state can be completely different from the next.

I still joke with my fellow white collar mates about being the beggars down under. It’s a different ball game here. All of my tradie buddies in AUS have new cars, x houses, take multiple holidays every year and live a dam good life. While office workers bring their cut lunch to work to save money.. This is something you won't see in the US, let alone most other developed nation.

Overall there are a lot less handouts here. It's up to every individual to make something of them self. Down under the 'under-dog' is always nourished and taken care of, at the expense of other hard working people. This is not the case here.

Well I hope this enlightens you just a tad on the US vs AUS.

Cheers

Harry

PS My parents are old school Europeans so they were shocked and scared about me living in the US. Well they are starting to get over it. Ironically, they didn't have much to say when i showed them the stats that Australia has the highest crime rate of any OECD country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.