kopwin

Approved I-140 Stuck at TSC / Undergoing Security Checks? Help Needed

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, my I-140 was approved more than 5 months ago, but it has been stuck at TSC since then. I've tried getting help from the USCIS contact center, NVC, ombudsman, and my congressman, but none of them seem to help. Last month, USCIS responded to my congressional inquiry that my case was sent on that day. However, I waited for another month and haven't heard anything from NVC. I then reached out to NVC two days ago and was told they've never received my file.

Today, I received a response to my service ticket from a TSC officer, saying, "We have placed your case on a processing hold because the required security checks remain pending. Until we receive the results of these security checks, we cannot move forward on your case."

Is this normal? I'm confused as my case has already been approved, and I received NOA2 last September. Not sure what "security checks" mean and how long the process will take. This is a new thing, and all my previous inquiries with USCIS received similar responses that my case is queued to be transferred to NVC. Should I be worried, and are there any actions I should take to expedite this? Thank you!

Edited by kopwin

• kopwin changed the title to Approved I-140 Stuck at TSC / Undergoing Security Checks? Help Needed
2 hours ago, kopwin said:

Hi everyone, my I-140 was approved more than 5 months ago, but it has been stuck at TSC since then. I've tried getting help from the USCIS contact center, NVC, ombudsman, and my congressman, but none of them seem to help. Last month, USCIS responded to my congressional inquiry that my case was sent on that day. However, I waited for another month and haven't heard anything from NVC. I then reached out to NVC two days ago and was told they've never received my file.

Today, I received a response to my service ticket from a TSC officer, saying, "We have placed your case on a processing hold because the required security checks remain pending. Until we receive the results of these security checks, we cannot move forward on your case."

Is this normal? I'm confused as my case has already been approved, and I received NOA2 last September. Not sure what "security checks" mean and how long the process will take. This is a new thing, and all my previous inquiries with USCIS received similar responses that my case is queued to be transferred to NVC. Should I be worried, and are there any actions I should take to expedite this? Thank you!

There is no way to expedite or waive the security checks, unfortunately.   You just have to wait it out.

I totally agree with @SalishSea, but I also think there's something very unusual going on with your case. Your I-140 took well over 4 years to be approved it seems? And that's not normal at all. So personally I'd do a FOIA request and try and find out what has been happening with it in case it continues to impact your application. 

Good luck. 

On 2/21/2024 at 6:21 PM, SalishSea said:

There is no way to expedite or waive the security checks, unfortunately.   You just have to wait it out.

Thank you SalishSea! Do you happen to know how long such security checks typically take? 

10 hours ago, appleblossom said:

I totally agree with @SalishSea, but I also think there's something very unusual going on with your case. Your I-140 took well over 4 years to be approved it seems? And that's not normal at all. So personally I'd do a FOIA request and try and find out what has been happening with it in case it continues to impact your application. 

Good luck. 

Thanks for the info! I apologize but I didn't update my timeline. My I-140 was approved in September 2023 (not 4 years ago 😊). It seems most people got their I-140 transferred to NVC within 1 or 2 months after the approval, but mine has been delayed for more than 5 months 😂.

55 minutes ago, kopwin said:

Thank you SalishSea! Do you happen to know how long such security checks typically take? 

Thanks for the info! I apologize but I didn't update my timeline. My I-140 was approved in September 2023 (not 4 years ago 😊). It seems most people got their I-140 transferred to NVC within 1 or 2 months after the approval, but mine has been delayed for more than 5 months 😂.

I know it was approved in Sept, but your timeline and previous posts say you applied in 2019?! If that’s right then 4 years is not normal even with Covid, and neither are security checks between petition approval and NVC transfer. So it seems you’re being delayed at every stage and there may be a reason for that - a FOIA request may shed some light. 

Edited by appleblossom

Just so you can see the quoted ‘normal’ processing times - 

For the I-140 - less than a year https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

And for transfer to NVC and receiving the Welcome Letter - a couple of weeks https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

If you’re not aware of any complicating factors that may be holding things up (a previous overstay, criminal record etc), then I’d investigate further personally. 

20 hours ago, appleblossom said:

I know it was approved in Sept, but your timeline and previous posts say you applied in 2019?! If that’s right then 4 years is not normal even with Covid, and neither are security checks between petition approval and NVC transfer. So it seems you’re being delayed at every stage and there may be a reason for that - a FOIA request may shed some light. 

😂 Yeah, it's been a long wait. The 2019 PD is from my first petition, and I recaptured that for my current I-140, which was approved more than 5 months ago. I apologize for the confusion.

19 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Just so you can see the quoted ‘normal’ processing times - 

For the I-140 - less than a year https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

And for transfer to NVC and receiving the Welcome Letter - a couple of weeks https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

If you’re not aware of any complicating factors that may be holding things up (a previous overstay, criminal record etc), then I’d investigate further personally. 

Thank you again! I have a clean history so I'm not sure why USCIS is holding my I-140. The only thing I could think of is a recapture of an earlier PD. They even told my congressman that my case was transferred to NVC last month. 

It's the first time I've been told that my case is going through security checks. When I contacted TSC several weeks ago, a different officer informed me that my case is good to go and helped escalate it with NVC. I'm confused about the conflicting responses from the same office.

Edited by kopwin

14 hours ago, kopwin said:

😂 Yeah, it's been a long wait. The 2019 PD is from my first petition, and I recaptured that for my current I-140, which was approved more than 5 months ago. I apologize for the confusion.

Ah, I see! That makes much more sense now, I thought something was really wrong if it had taken you nearly 4.5 years to get to this point. 😂

Sorry for bumping this. I called the USCIS contact center today, and the agent told me that my case is pending to be shipped to NVC as of Feb. 12, which conflicts with the information I received from TSC that my case is still going through security checks (as of Feb. 21.) I also asked the agent what 'security check' means, and she explained that it simply means my case was held at TSC before Feb. 12 and is now scheduled to be shipped. She confirmed my case has been completely approved, and no additional review is needed. Now I don't know who I should believe. 😂

8 hours ago, kopwin said:

Sorry for bumping this. I called the USCIS contact center today, and the agent told me that my case is pending to be shipped to NVC as of Feb. 12, which conflicts with the information I received from TSC that my case is still going through security checks (as of Feb. 21.) I also asked the agent what 'security check' means, and she explained that it simply means my case was held at TSC before Feb. 12 and is now scheduled to be shipped. She confirmed my case has been completely approved, and no additional review is needed. Now I don't know who I should believe. 😂

Really odd! Personally I’d use the contact form rather than phone so you have it in writing. What does your status say? 

Edited by appleblossom

6 hours ago, appleblossom said:

Really odd! Personally I’d use the contact form rather than phone so you have it in writing. What does your status say? 

😂 The phone rep gave me a reference number for the record. Does USCIS have a contact form?

The status is "Correspondence Was Received And USCIS Is Reviewing It". It's been like this since the approval. I've asked the USCIS rep to check the status, and she said it shows as approved. 

14 minutes ago, kopwin said:

😂 The phone rep gave me a reference number for the record. Does USCIS have a contact form?

The status is "Correspondence Was Received And USCIS Is Reviewing It". It's been like this since the approval. I've asked the USCIS rep to check the status, and she said it shows as approved. 

What correspondence are they reviewing? That's odd too. 

You can use the 'ask Emma' on the USCIS website, and I'd probably also try the NVC enquiry form too, just to double up! Good luck. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

What correspondence are they reviewing? That's odd too. 

You can use the 'ask Emma' on the USCIS website, and I'd probably also try the NVC enquiry form too, just to double up! Good luck. 

I've asked numerous reps about that status, and all of them said not to worry about it. I also contacted NVC last week and they have submitted a request to USCIS to get my file. I'll chat with Emma today. Thanks!

Edited by kopwin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.