Mr. X

Question about AOS Public Charge stepchildren and evidence

3 posts in this topic

Hello,
I have some questions about Part 8 Public Charge. When I submit form i-485 I will be married (I am filling out what I can now to enjoy more uninterrupted time with my fiancee when I am there) and my fiancee has 2 sons. That makes me a step dad and I am wondering if I have to count them in question 62. I think yes, but the explanations don't say anything about step children as far as I can see.

My second question is about the evidence I have to submit. I have a Master's and a Bachelor's degree and in question 67 it says "List your certifications..." I will list it of course, but do they also want proof? It is no problem to put a copy in the package. In the process of moving I'd just like to know that before.

Thank you in advance.
I was reading here for a while now and when I have some time to breath I will surely write a detailed report about the whole process in Paraguay (I am German, but live in Paraguay and that made everything a bit special). I had my interview yesterday and was approved. :)

25 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Hello,
I have some questions about Part 8 Public Charge. When I submit form i-485 I will be married (I am filling out what I can now to enjoy more uninterrupted time with my fiancee when I am there) and my fiancee has 2 sons. That makes me a step dad and I am wondering if I have to count them in question 62. I think yes, but the explanations don't say anything about step children as far as I can see.

The actual question on the form states:

NOTE: The term “children” includes all biological or 
legally adopted children, as well as current stepchildren
of any age, whether born in the United States or other 
countries, married or unmarried, living with you or 
elsewhere and includes any missing children and those 
born to you outside of marriage.

25 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

My second question is about the evidence I have to submit. I have a Master's and a Bachelor's degree and in question 67 it says "List your certifications..." I will list it of course, but do they also want proof?

No.

14 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

The actual question on the form states:

NOTE: The term “children” includes all biological or 
legally adopted children, as well as current stepchildren
of any age, whether born in the United States or other 
countries, married or unmarried, living with you or 
elsewhere and includes any missing children and those 
born to you outside of marriage.

No.

Thank you for the fast answer.
I saw that quote in "Part 6 Information about your children" and that was clear. I was just confused because the instructions for part 8 say:
"For Part 8., Item Number 62., the following individuals are members of your household and should be includes in
your household size:
• You;
• Your spouse, if physically residing with you;
• Your parents, if physically residing with you;
• Your unmarried siblings under 21 years of age, if physically residing with you;
• Your children as defined in INA 101(b)(1), if physically residing with you;
• Any other individuals (including a spouse or child not physically residing with you) who are listed as dependents
on your federal income tax return; and
• Any other individuals who list you as a dependent on their federal income tax return."

That confused me because there I saw no stepchildren, but I will count them.

Anyway now I know what to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.