ChagolGoru

F1 Visa Renewed for 5 years -- Do I still need to schedule an interview for new scho

2 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

When I completed my year of OPT, I emailed my school and this was the correspondence:

I also had a question regarding my visa. My VISA expired in November 2021 and I renewed it in my country when I went to visit. The renewal was for five years. 
If I end my F1-status on Accessvis, does that negate the renewal? I am planning to return for graduate school next year after going back home. Would I basically have to start the F1 process all over again or would it be easier since its already valid for the next 5 years? 

Response:

Thank you for reaching out. 

A visa stamp in a passport is a travel document. The visa needs to be valid at the time you enter the U.S. Once you are granted permission to enter the U.S., it's your F-1 status that is your legal permission to be present in the U.S. 

Based on your plans to return home and attend graduate school in 2024, you will need to end your F-1 status. To return to the U.S. in the future, you would work with your school to obtain a new (initial) I-20 that will have a new SEVIS ID number. We would recommend that you reapply for an F-1 visa at that time so that your SEVIS ID number matches on your visa and your I-20, however, that is a question you could consult with your school about in the future.

I'm not entirely sure what this means.

I called my embassy and the lady on the helpdesk said yes the 5-month rule applies since its a new i20 so I have to schedule an F1 visa again.

I really do not want the hassle of applying for a new F1 Visa, scheduling an interview, or doing the interview drop box if the embassy DOES NOT control admission into the US. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does. They are a part of Homeland Security. Fully separate from Department of State and embassies.

I thought the CBP doesn't care if you continue to use a valid visa. Their response for the last decade plus has been, "a valid visa is a valid visa".

Would it be sufficient to notify my school before I receive the i20 that I have a renewed F1 visa? Also, on my renewed visa there is an annotation with my practical training date on it. Would this affect my arrival at the US port of entry?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.