rodrigotejas

Using I-512L (Advanced Parole) at the airport in Buenos Aires

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline

My wife just received her approved I-512L doc and we are planning a trip to her home country of Argentina. Because she came to the U.S. on a K-1 visa which was stamped when she arrived back in April, I am wondering what we can expect at the American Airlines ticketing counter and Argentina Immigration when she leaves Buenos Aires with this doc.

I called American Airlines today to see if there would be any issue getting her return ticket at the ticket counter using the I-512L as proof of eligibility to travel to the U.S. (along with her passport of course) and they couldn't figure out what the I-512L doc is. All the person could tell me is that a visa is required for citizens of Argentina. This worried me. I envision getting stuck at the counter trying to explain to someone who is not from the U.S. what this document is for and having them point to the K-1 visa which has already been stamped and telling us no way.

If we make it past the tick counter I am then worried about having a similar problem at the Argentina immigration when we try to exit to the plane.

What can we expect? Anyone have any problems with the I-512L out there that fall into this scenerio? Especially in Buenos Aires?

Thanks!!!!!!

Rod and Cony

If you're flying American Airlines, most likely the person behind the desk will either be American or there will be an American who can help out if they're confused. After all the check in desks are usually manned by the flight attendants. I doubt you'll have any issues personally.

EDIT: You don't go through Argentina immigration before leaving, only when entering.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline

Been traveling to Argentina monthly for 5 years. The people working at the ticketing desk are definately Argentinians. They have been to training in Dallas (AA headquarters) and speak English but that doesn't guarantee that the are fluent with the U.S. immigration procedures (especially those that fall outside of the norm e.g. norm = Tourist, K-1, K-3, J-1, H-1, etc).

As for immigration when leaving... Absolutely will go through Argentina immigration. In my case (U.S. citizen) the officer will check my entry date, photo and ticket and then will stamp my passport with an exit stamp. Ditto process for my wife who holds an Argentina passport.

Edited by rodrigotejas

Been traveling to Argentina monthly for 5 years. The people working at the ticketing desk are definately Argentinians. They have been to training in Dallas (AA headquarters) and speak English but that doesn't guarantee that the are fluent with the U.S. immigration procedures (especially those that fall outside of the norm e.g. norm = Tourist, K-1, K-3, J-1, H-1, etc).

Fair enough, I don't fly American Airlines. When I've found down to Argentina before the people on the desk were a mix of Americans and Argentinians, but that was a different airline.

They should be trained for all eventualities. I've travelled all over the world with various visas and never had an issue with any airline not letting me fly because the check in person didn't understand paperwork. I don't think you'll have an issue.

As for immigration when leaving... Absolutely will go through Argentina immigration. In my case (U.S. citizen) the officer will check my entry date, photo and ticket and then will stamp my passport with an exit stamp. Ditto process for my wife who holds an Argentina passport.

You go through passport control when leaving, as you do in every country, that's not the same as immigration (which is all about entering a country and proving you are legal to do so). Those guys checking your passport when you leave have no interest in your US visa or AP document, its not their job to be interested in it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.