Ian05

Marriage with US citizen in Brasil K3+CR1

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Im 22 years old, I have lived in the Us for more than 12 years. I was raised in the US and

consider myself an American. I went through, or better yet, my parents went through a 10 year

process of trying to get the greencard through an attorney, acctually through 3 attorneys

because the first one tricked us and didnt do anything while he charged us... and the other 2

did the same. So basically we lost 15,000 dollars and our hope in becoming American Citizens.

We have lived in the US for more than 12 years, payed all our taxes as if we were legal

citizens. Due to the fact that we didnt get anywhere with our process we gave up and just

decided not to go on with the process for it would require much more money and time... so we

just gave up because it just seemed to not be our fate. Meanwhile I was dating and almost to

the point where I wanted to get married if another year passed by. But we (my parents and I)

decided to move back to our native country since there was no way in continuing living in the

US illegally, especially since Bush took over.

Anyhow, I cant get used to my native country because I, deep down inside feel that the US is my

native country... and I cant seem to get through college here, because the language is

difficult (portuguese - Brazil). And I just miss my girlfriend, we talk everyday online and

we're getting to the point where we're thinking about getting married and living together.

ok now lets put that to the side... I have been searching alot and trying to get as much

information I can.

What I would like to know is; which is better, Getting married here in Brasil and having her

apply for the K3, K1, or the CR1 OR having me go to the US and marry her there???

*Lets use the former, just in case im not able to get the visa to travel to the US and marry

her there.

In this case, I will have to marry her here. I also read that we can get married here in Brazil

without having her come here. Which I heard is better because then she can go right ahead and

file for my visa.

So whats the next step after we get married here in Brasil?

Does she file for a k1, k3, or a CR1???

If im correct, if she files for the CR1, i'll be able to leave my country with a green card in

hand and then just move in with her in the US.

So I would like to know the following? How long will it take if we get married and she files

for a CR1, which enables me to get my greencard while im here in Brazil?

Also, if I am able to get the greencard while here in Brasil, after I fly to the US will we

have to get married in the US or will we already be married???

and what happens after the CR1? does she have to file for anything else in order for me to get

my permanent green card and then file for citizenship???

I read the CR1 takes much more time than the K3, but I would to know which is better and safer

and faster. Getting the K3 and moving up to the US marrying her and continuing with the

process, or if I should wait a while (which we dont mind, we have talked about this) and just

get the CR1 which enables me to arrive and continue going to college and work.

Also, I know someone will have to sponser me in order for me to get the Visa. Can my uncles or

aunts sponser me? or will she have to sponser me? and what if she doesnt make the ammount

necessary to sponser me? Can there be a co-sponser??? if so, who can it be, other than

parents???

(Im not really worried about them not believing if its a true relationship or not because I

have photos, letters and yearbook pictures of us and since It really is something serious, its

not something im worried about)

I would like to thank you guys for your time in helping me out! :)

Im 22 years old, I have lived in the Us for more than 12 years. I was raised in the US and

consider myself an American. I went through, or better yet, my parents went through a 10 year

process of trying to get the greencard through an attorney, acctually through 3 attorneys

because the first one tricked us and didnt do anything while he charged us... and the other 2

did the same. So basically we lost 15,000 dollars and our hope in becoming American Citizens.

We have lived in the US for more than 12 years, payed all our taxes as if we were legal

citizens. Due to the fact that we didnt get anywhere with our process we gave up and just

decided not to go on with the process for it would require much more money and time... so we

just gave up because it just seemed to not be our fate. Meanwhile I was dating and almost to

the point where I wanted to get married if another year passed by. But we (my parents and I)

decided to move back to our native country since there was no way in continuing living in the

US illegally, especially since Bush took over.

Anyhow, I cant get used to my native country because I, deep down inside feel that the US is my

native country... and I cant seem to get through college here, because the language is

difficult (portuguese - Brazil). And I just miss my girlfriend, we talk everyday online and

we're getting to the point where we're thinking about getting married and living together.

ok now lets put that to the side... I have been searching alot and trying to get as much

information I can.

What I would like to know is; which is better, Getting married here in Brasil and having her

apply for the K3, K1, or the CR1 OR having me go to the US and marry her there???

*Lets use the former, just in case im not able to get the visa to travel to the US and marry

her there.

In this case, I will have to marry her here. I also read that we can get married here in Brazil

without having her come here. Which I heard is better because then she can go right ahead and

file for my visa.

So whats the next step after we get married here in Brasil?

Does she file for a k1, k3, or a CR1???

If im correct, if she files for the CR1, i'll be able to leave my country with a green card in

hand and then just move in with her in the US.

So I would like to know the following? How long will it take if we get married and she files

for a CR1, which enables me to get my greencard while im here in Brazil?

Also, if I am able to get the greencard while here in Brasil, after I fly to the US will we

have to get married in the US or will we already be married???

and what happens after the CR1? does she have to file for anything else in order for me to get

my permanent green card and then file for citizenship???

I read the CR1 takes much more time than the K3, but I would to know which is better and safer

and faster. Getting the K3 and moving up to the US marrying her and continuing with the

process, or if I should wait a while (which we dont mind, we have talked about this) and just

get the CR1 which enables me to arrive and continue going to college and work.

Also, I know someone will have to sponser me in order for me to get the Visa. Can my uncles or

aunts sponser me? or will she have to sponser me? and what if she doesnt make the ammount

necessary to sponser me? Can there be a co-sponser??? if so, who can it be, other than

parents???

(Im not really worried about them not believing if its a true relationship or not because I

have photos, letters and yearbook pictures of us and since It really is something serious, its

not something im worried about)

I would like to thank you guys for your time in helping me out! :)

Welcome to VJ. You need to read the guides. There's a couple basic things you aren't understanding though - if you legally marry in Brazil, then you're married everywhere. So if you marry her in Brazil, you do not marry again in the US. The K1 visa is only for unmarried couples and the K3 and CR1 visas are only for married couples.

If you get married, she would then file the I-130. If you want the possible option of the K3 visa, she would also file the I-129f. If you get the CR1 visa, it would result in a two-year green card upon entry to the US. Then you'd have nothing to do for immigration for almost two years. 90 days or less before your green card expires, you would file the I-751 to lift conditions on the card.

All that said, I think you need to check out the wavier folder here. You don't say whether your family legally entered the US in the first place and just overstayed or whether you were there illegally the entire time. Either way, it's going to come up and be a problem during the visa process.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.