tsac

I-864 Questions

4 posts in this topic

After submitting all our docs to NVC we received two messages:

1. Please upload W2s or 1099s

2. Reported income is insufficient

We're hoping not to have to use a joint sponsor.

I uploaded my 1040 when I submitted the I-864. I don't have W2s or 1099s as I'm employed abroad. Can I just upload a document stating that? My wife saw something mentioning that some people upload a copy of their foreign taxes. Is that useful?

My current income is $100,000. I work fully remotely and uploaded my contract, as well as a statement that I will continue with this company as a contractor upon returning to the US. Is this income insufficient because it's not from a US company? Would a note from my employer that they are aware of my plans to move to the US and that they intend to continue working with me help? 

I did not include any additional assets in our application. I was advised not to bother as it required significant documentation and my income was sufficient (ha!). But we do have savings and our home that we could have included that would put us well above the requirements. My wife also heard that in practice they don't actually accept property to fulfill the requirement.

If I wanted to do include assets now, would I just upload a new I-864 with the updated information? 

Everything on the NVC website is currently marked as "Accepted". I assume they're waiting for at least a response to the W2/1099 request though. The insufficient income message is a little more vague, as they used words like "to avoid delays" and "may be submitted." How do you know they're going to forward this to the consulate? Do they just say that in an email?

The income reported as stated on form I-864, I-864A is insufficient to overcome the public charge grounds of inadmissibility for visa issuance. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos and https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p. A consular officer will decide if you meet these requirements at the time of the interview. Note: You, as the sponsor, and any other sponsors household members and joint sponsors, must provide updated or additional evidence for the applicant to present at the time of their interview such as: * Other income * Assets * Proof of current employment Note: You submitted documentation to the National Visa Center through the Consular Electronic Application Center CEAC. You can continue to upload documents to CEAC up until the date of your visa interview. 

1 hour ago, tsac said:

I uploaded my 1040 when I submitted the I-864. I don't have W2s or 1099s as I'm employed abroad. Can I just upload a document stating that? My wife saw something mentioning that some people upload a copy of their foreign taxes. Is that useful?

Yes. It is not only useful but necessary. If you are not submitting tax transcripts. You need to upload your entire tax packet to NVC. If you do not have W2s or 1099s you are required to write a statement explaining why. 

My current income is $100,000. I work fully remotely and uploaded my contract, as well as a statement that I will continue with this company as a contractor upon returning to the US. Is this income insufficient because it's not from a US company? Would a note from my employer that they are aware of my plans to move to the US and that they intend to continue working with me help? 

Correct. Have it on a company letterhead. This is more official than "your word". 

I did not include any additional assets in our application. I was advised not to bother as it required significant documentation and my income was sufficient (ha!). But we do have savings and our home that we could have included that would put us well above the requirements. My wife also heard that in practice they don't actually accept property to fulfill the requirement.

Is this home in the US or in your wife's country? Using the house will involve a lot of work but it can and has been done. If you have sufficient savings in a bank account $75K + I would just use savings. 

If I wanted to do include assets now, would I just upload a new I-864 with the updated information? 

Correct. 

Everything on the NVC website is currently marked as "Accepted". I assume they're waiting for at least a response to the W2/1099 request though. The insufficient income message is a little more vague, as they used words like "to avoid delays" and "may be submitted." How do you know they're going to forward this to the consulate? Do they just say that in an email?

Did you receive a letter stating you are "documentarily qualified?" You are waiting for that message. Submit the statement about W2s and 1099s and it should be good enough. If the message states the consular officer at interview will make the decision. This is a standard boilerplate message everyone who did not make enough on taxes receives. You would have received it even if you had just returned to the US making a job of $100K. This means you don't have to upload updated I864 information but can take it to the interview and if the CO requires additional evidence you can give it to them then.

Good luck! Make sure proof of intent to return to US is strong... What plans have you made to move back to the US and which country are you currently in?   

1 hour ago, tsac said:

By the way, I saw this post where someone else got the same message. It mentions the possibility of a joint sponsor being requested during the interview. How does that work? They don't outright reject you and you just re-schedule for when you've got a joint sponsor?They will request you upload joint sponsor information to CEAC or mail it to them. You do not return for a second interview. 

3 hours ago, tsac said:

You need to have income from U.S company to consider it as a qualified income for I-864. Foreign income cannot be used. It is better add joint-sponsor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.