Pangoleen

Vaccine unavailable?

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask for advice on what happens when one of the required vaccines for the medical is unavailable? There's only two vaccines left for me to get – influenza & varicella. Varicella isn't an issue, but I've only just learned that the influenza vaccine won't be available until either October or November. I kept having colds this past autumn/winter, so I wasn't able to get it in time last year.

Would the doctor I have to seek for my medical still carry the influenza vaccine out of season and be able to administer it to me?

On 6/16/2023 at 12:06 AM, Pangoleen said:

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask for advice on what happens when one of the required vaccines for the medical is unavailable? There's only two vaccines left for me to get – influenza & varicella. Varicella isn't an issue, but I've only just learned that the influenza vaccine won't be available until either October or November. I kept having colds this past autumn/winter, so I wasn't able to get it in time last year.

Would the doctor I have to seek for my medical still carry the influenza vaccine out of season and be able to administer it to me?

Check the pharmacy, I've had the flu vaccine before at the pharmacy without seeing the doctor during the off-season. Depending on your health insurance card, it should be no extra cost.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In the official technical instructions that the physician must follow, it says

• Influenza vaccine not available

Influenza vaccine is required when available in the country the panel physician is practicing. The influenza vaccine is usually given from fall (autumn) through early spring in temperate areas, and influenza vaccine is often not available in the summer months in these regions. If influenza vaccine is not available because it is not vaccination season in your region, document the “Flu vaccine not available” reason. Although influenza occurs throughout the year in tropical areas, panel physicians in tropical countries are not required to maintain stocks of both northern and southern hemisphere vaccine supplies.  CDC only requires panel physicians to provide influenza vaccine when vaccine is ordinarily available in that country.

So you're fine, no need to worry -- the doctor has instructions for this specific scenario.

6 hours ago, meladee said:

So you're fine, no need to worry -- the doctor has instructions for this specific scenario.

Thank you for the extra confirmation! I ended up calling the responsible doctor's office on Friday and they told me I'd only need the flu shot if I had my interview in fall or winter. Huge weight off my shoulders :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.