rad1182

Can you select the consulate for interview?

3 posts in this topic

Hello all,

We submitted the I130 for my wife back in Oct. 2022 and we're still waiting for the NVC stage. I'm trying to do as much research as I can about the upcoming steps. My wife is Filipino but is a resident in Abu Dhabi. I've read a lot about long wait times for interviews at the AD consulate (up to a year!). My question - when we reach the interview stage, do we have the option to select which consulate to do the interview in? It sounds like there is almost no wait time in Manila so that sounds like a much better option. 

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum thread for this post. Thank you!

Yes. 
Once the case gets to NVC you can send in documentation requesting a change of consulate: 

How do I transfer my case?

Edited by ROK2USA

On 4/24/2023 at 11:59 AM, rad1182 said:

when we reach the interview stage, do we have the option to select which consulate to do the interview in? It sounds like there is almost no wait time in Manila so that sounds like a much better option. 

Yes, your wife may request for case transfer to Manila.  Easier to request transfer while still at NVC stage, rather than at the consulate stage.  Case transfer only at consulate stage may delay visa processing by a few months.

Note that if she transfers her case to Manila, she must complete her medical at SLEC Manila, and play the sputum test tagging roulette.  Can't do medical at AD, then interview only in Manila.

Since your wife resides outside the Philippines, I assume she already got her CFO sticker or certificate before her move to AD?  If not, she must go through CFO counseling and get a CFO certificate to be able to board the plane out of Manila with her spouse visa.  Or if she already has a CFO certificate but it expired, she may need to get it revalidated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.