CL1125

Married Filing Jointly with NRA Wife (No SSN/ITIN) (Split and Merged)

18 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, KeithANDJonathan said:

Do you mind me asking what software allowed you to e-file without having a SSN for your spouse? I have filed MFS and have had to mail it in because the software I tried to use required a SSN

Hi. I used TaxAct. It allows you to put NRA under the SSN for your spouse.

• 4 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 9:13 AM, JKLSemicolon said:

For your first question, when submitting the paper 1040 with form W-7, I left my wife's SSN blank as the IRS will fill in the ITIN once assigned.

Edited to add: I would certainly not put "NRA" instead of her first name. Remember that you are also required to submit a statement indicating the choice be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes, so putting NRA (=Non-Resident Alien) anywhere does not make sense in this case.

For the second question, in 2021 I sent the return and W-7 to Austin before the filing deadline and without filing an extension, and had no problems in spite of the rest of the process taking over a year.

Not sure about your third question.

how did you get the ITIN? My spouse is in Cuba and I can’t mail in his passport to apply for the ITIN . Will that be a problem?

10 hours ago, DB17 said:

how did you get the ITIN? My spouse is in Cuba and I can’t mail in his passport to apply for the ITIN . Will that be a problem?

As far as I know, the ITIN letter is mailed to the mailing address listed on the W-7. Once it is processed you can also call the IRS ITIN help line (be prepared to wait and/or call back multiple times) to get the actual number if needed.

And as long as you follow the instructions correctly, your tax return will be filed with the newly assigned ITIN regardless of whether you receive the ITIN letter in the mail.

Edited to add: look at the documents they accept in the instructions and see what else you can provide besides a passport. We used a certified copy of a foreign birth certificate along with a state ID. There are many possible combinations.

Edited by JKLSemicolon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.