paradoxalist

Birth Certificate Errors (Haiti)

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I hope someone can help here.

Let's say my stepdaughter had a birth certificate with the wrong spelling of first names: her and her mother both. (Last names are accurate) My wife, out of ignorance, and bad advice, had another birth certificate made much, much later instead of fixing the first one. 

We have had many terrible experiences in Haiti with spelling errors such as on our marriage certificate, for example, they misspelled my last name and wrote the wrong marriage date on the extrait acte de mariage. We had a judgment and it was fixed immediately. 

Anyway, the second birth certificate matches every document we are required to bring to the visa interview. But I am anticipating all kinds of questions being raised about the late birth certificate. Should we even present the first one? The additional complication: if they ask for additional evidence such as her baptism certificate, it unfortunately matches the first birth certificate - that's actually when my wife realized the first name errors on the first birth certificate and these two documents are the only documents with the spelling errors. Every other church, school, and medical document has the correct name for my stepdaughter. 

This feels like such a mess, and is extemely stressful as her interview approaches. My wife already had her interview and visa was approved, we are worried somehow my stepdaughter, almost 18, will be rejected by the embassy in Port au Prince. 

Looking for advice on how to proceed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.