CARR1

I-130 Intend to live

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am filing online the I-130, I am the petitioner (US Citizen/Canadian PR) my husband is the beneficiary (Canadian Citizen).  We both live together in Canada, and have since 2014.   I have a few questions.  

In the beneficiary section it asks; 

Where in the United States does the beneficiary intend to live?  What if we do not have an address in the US and do not know they exact address of where we will live once he is approved? 

Where did you and your spouse last live together? When did you and your spouse live there together?  It asks for the start date and end date, but we still live together and I cannot enter "present" in the end date.  What do we enter? 

Was the beneficiary EVER in the United States?  We travel to the states at least once per week (live in border town) I answered yes to this but he does not have any travel document/visa so I am assuming I leave these blank ie: class or admission or I94 document number. 

In the other information section it asks;

At which USCIS office will the beneficiary apply for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident? AND At which U.S. Embassy or Consulate location will the beneficiary apply for an immigrant visa?

Since we are not in the US now but plan on moving to MN once he is approved what do we put? 

Thanks so much for any help, I think because we are outside of the US the questions are throwing me off a bit.  I am probably overthinking it all. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where did you and your spouse last live together? When did you and your spouse live there together?  It asks for the start date and end date, but we still live together and I cannot enter "present" in the end date. What do we enter?  Put the date you're filing on.  

Was the beneficiary EVER in the United States?  We travel to the states at least once per week (live in border town) I answered yes to this but he does not have any travel document/visa so I am assuming I leave these blank ie: class or admission or I94 document number. The question asks if the beneficiary was EVER in the US - so yes is the correct answer.  The follow up question asks is the beneficiary CURRENTLY in the US, then you need the class of admission and I-94 record (you can get this online, FYI).  So, if you're in Canada, then no, you don't need to answer that.  If you do visit, I'm guessing he's a B2 - temporary visitor for pleasure. 

In the other information section it asks;

At which USCIS office will the beneficiary apply for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident? AND At which U.S. Embassy or Consulate location will the beneficiary apply for an immigrant visa?

Since we are not in the US now but plan on moving to MN once he is approved what do we put? Montreal is the consulate you'll be using if you're applying for Consular Processing.  

Thanks so much for any help, I think because we are outside of the US the questions are throwing me off a bit.  I am probably overthinking it all. 

You just have to slow down and read carefully.  It is easy to overthink but it should be fine.  

Edited by mam521

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, CARR1 said:

Thank you very much, I appreciate all the help.  

No problem.  We've now managed to navigate the N-400 for my husband, a not straightforward I-130 process for my kids and I and now we've got my N-400 in progress.  I totally get the trepidation that comes with these filings and not wanting to screw it up!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, mam521 said:

No problem.  We've now managed to navigate the N-400 for my husband, a not straightforward I-130 process for my kids and I and now we've got my N-400 in progress.  I totally get the trepidation that comes with these filings and not wanting to screw it up!  

I really do appreciate the assistance! I know I am totally overthinking it, lol.  I guess part of it is, the fact the Canadian PR paperwork was so much more intense, I keep thinking I am missing stuff on this I-130. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.