Victor C

i-130 Question Part 5 - Have you ever previously filed for petition

4 posts in this topic

Hello visa journey community,  I am preparing to fill out form i-130 since I will be getting married in a few weeks and would like to file this as soon as I receive the marriage certificate…

For Part 5 question regarding previous petition filed, I had filed for a fiance visa years ago from obviously my ex fiance who lives in Japan. The k1/fiance visa was approved but she never came to the US. I already forgot the date it was approved (atleast 7 years ago) Can I leave the date section blank and explain on Part 9 additional information about I don’t recall the exact date? Also forgot the city and state but must’ve been texas lockbox if I were to guess.

Thank you so much in advance for reading and answering my question.

2 hours ago, Victor C said:

Hello visa journey community,  I am preparing to fill out form i-130 since I will be getting married in a few weeks and would like to file this as soon as I receive the marriage certificate…

For Part 5 question regarding previous petition filed, I had filed for a fiance visa years ago from obviously my ex fiance who lives in Japan. The k1/fiance visa was approved but she never came to the US. I already forgot the date it was approved (atleast 7 years ago) Can I leave the date section blank and explain on Part 9 additional information about I don’t recall the exact date? Also forgot the city and state but must’ve been texas lockbox if I were to guess.

Thank you so much in advance for reading and answering my question.

This would be a yes. You filed a petition regardless of not fully going through with the process.  You can estimate the month and year that you submitted the petition. At least that’s what I did in my case being previously married and filed a petition for my ex-husband. USCIS approved my current husband’s case and we are almost at the end of our case.  

Edited by Kaykay2019

27 minutes ago, Kaykay2019 said:

This would be a yes. You filed a petition regardless of not fully going through with the process.  You can estimate the month and year that you submitted the petition. At least that’s what I did in my case being previously married and filed a petition for my ex-husband. USCIS approved my current husband’s case and we are almost at the end of our case.  

Thanks for the response. Did you end up explaining on part 9 as well or you just estimated the month and year on part 5?

9 hours ago, Victor C said:

Thanks for the response. Did you end up explaining on part 9 as well or you just estimated the month and year on part 5?

I answered yes, estimated date and year and didn’t explain anything else. They have your information already and they just want you to answer to the question asked. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.