KStr2022

Is this the correct website to obtain a police certificate for K-1 visa?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

https://www.acro.police.uk/police-certificates ?

Hello, I would just like confirmation before I apply for the certificate because I was told it can be done by going to a police station rather than online?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, KStr2022 said:

Hello, I would just like confirmation before I apply for the certificate because I was told it can be done by going to a police station rather than online?

Thank you!

Yes, that's the one.

I'm not sure about going to a police station - the US Embassy in London website advises you to go to the acro website. Besides, I'd rather deal with a central agency whose job it is to deal with this, as opposed to chancing my arm at the local station - definitely wouldn't have trusted them to do it quickly or even at all in my old town.

3 hours ago, AW1704 said:

Yes, that's the one.

I'm not sure about going to a police station - the US Embassy in London website advises you to go to the acro website. Besides, I'd rather deal with a central agency whose job it is to deal with this, as opposed to chancing my arm at the local station - definitely wouldn't have trusted them to do it quickly or even at all in my old town.

Do you by chance know how long the police certificate is valid for use with the visa application? We are in the very early stages still, but would just like to have as much ready to go as possible. 

4 minutes ago, BLC said:

Do you by chance know how long the police certificate is valid for use with the visa application? We are in the very early stages still, but would just like to have as much ready to go as possible. 

Here's a couple of links for you. Seems they recently changed the validity period from one to two years. Note this is the amount of time the US gov will consider the information to be current, as there isn't an expiry on the actual certificate. I note that the visa issued when using this certificate cannot expire later than the second anniversary of the issuance of the certificate (at least the is my reading from link 1), which may be pertinent if you are looking to stretch your entry to convert from a CR1 to and IR1, which many people round here will recommend if asked.

https://lawandborder.com/police-certificates-now-valid-for-2-years-says-u-s-state-dept/#:~:text=Police certificates now expire after,beyond a certificate's expiration date.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
22 hours ago, KStr2022 said:

Thank you!

Yes, that is what you need for your interview and also show at your medical exam. Should you have any records that are hidden or stepped down, even a caution,  you should order a Subject Access Report from ACRO as well.  

You will know whether to order the SAR when you get your police report. If it says “No trace” you are clear of any charges and the police report is all you need. If it says “No live trace”, you have hidden charges or a caution and should order the Subject Access Report to go with the police report. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.