mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Does anyone else have any insight into this?

Devkpaik, It is not within 90 days of the K-1 visa. Her K-1 visa has been used, and is no longer valid. The requierment is to get married, legally, within 90 days of entry into the US.

The I-94 stub in your fiancee's passport is now her only evidence of being in the US legally, and it is the date stamped on it, which is the date you should submit your I-485 by, if you want to ensure your soon to be wife stays "in status". You will need to submit a copy of the I-94, front and back, with the I-485.

The I-485 only requires you be married within 90 days of entry, but the longer you wait, the longer it will take to get the GC, or EAD and EP.

As long as you get married within the 90 days, it is possible to go past the 90 days and not file your I-485, but unless you have a damn good reason for doing so, you should stick to the timeline.

Robert

Thanks Robert. I actually used incorrect terminology while asking the initial question. ;) Yes the I-94 stub is what I was mentioning when I said "visa expired".

Thanks for the info. though, as this is what I previously thought but wasn't too sure about.

Good to get it cleared up.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FYI... Anna and I just finished up our last unreliable $&%*# Skype chat...

... she donated her computer to charity and will be leaving to go to the airport in just over 12 hours now.

:D

That leaves you about 36 hours? At least it is warmer in Florida than here in Colorado right now, at least I hope so.

Thai Mom

FYI... Anna and I just finished up our last unreliable $&%*# Skype chat...

... she donated her computer to charity and will be leaving to go to the airport in just over 12 hours now.

:D

That leaves you about 36 hours? At least it is warmer in Florida than here in Colorado right now, at least I hope so.

Thai Mom

Ya, about 38 + however long it takes her to clear immigration in JFK. The flight leaves in 14 hours... :D

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
She can request the interview be conducted in Thai. The only issue would be if he asked the language in which the two of you communicate. If it is english and her english is very limited, it may raise the question in the CO's mind as to whether or not the relationship is bonafide.

That's exactly what I was going to say... if you don't speak Thai AND she doesn't speak English that is where the problem comes in. I've seen others that had the same issue. If she speaks well enough to communicate with you, that should be good enough.

BTW... "an unnamed source" at the Embassy says that the English speaking interviewers are MUCH nicer than the Thai speaking interviewers...

She can request the interview be conducted in Thai. The only issue would be if he asked the language in which the two of you communicate. If it is english and her english is very limited, it may raise the question in the CO's mind as to whether or not the relationship is bonafide.

That's exactly what I was going to say... if you don't speak Thai AND she doesn't speak English that is where the problem comes in. I've seen others that had the same issue. If she speaks well enough to communicate with you, that should be good enough.

BTW... "an unnamed source" at the Embassy says that the English speaking interviewers are MUCH nicer than the Thai speaking interviewers... Anna told me she "had fun" at the interview and that everyone was very nice, so experiences clearly vary widely.

That is correct. The interview can be conducted in Thai using a translator like people mentioned here already with no problem, however if she can't speak ANY english and you can't speak any Thai, then that will probably be a problem.

My fiance said the same thing at her interview. She had a friend who had an interview in Thai, and she said she didn't feel too comfortable during the whole process, whereas my fiance had her interview in English and she said the interviewer was extremely nice and friendly.

I wonder if when a Thai person chooses to do the interview in English does the interviewer speak fluent English to them or use "Thai English" ("I go store" as opposed to "I am going to the store") Could the Thai's do the interview in mixed English and Thai?

BTW... "an unnamed source" at the Embassy says that the English speaking interviewers are MUCH nicer than the Thai speaking interviewers...

BTW... "an unnamed source" at the Embassy says that the English speaking interviewers are MUCH nicer than the Thai speaking interviewers... Anna told me she "had fun" at the interview and that everyone was very nice, so experiences clearly vary widely.

That is correct. The interview can be conducted in Thai using a translator like people mentioned here already with no problem, however if she can't speak ANY english and you can't speak any Thai, then that will probably be a problem.

My fiance said the same thing at her interview. She had a friend who had an interview in Thai, and she said she didn't feel too comfortable during the whole process, whereas my fiance had her interview in English and she said the interviewer was extremely nice and friendly.

I wonder if when a Thai person chooses to do the interview in English does the interviewer speak fluent English to them or use "Thai English" ("I go store" as opposed to "I am going to the store") Could the Thai's do the interview in mixed English and Thai?

Fluent English... and I think they can only do it mixed if they choose a Thai interviewer. I don't think the English interviewers are fluent in Thai.

Edited by toma1

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Fluent English... and I think they can only do it mixed if they choose a Thai interviewer. I don't think the English interviewers are fluent in Thai.

This "broken" English is how it is spoken everywhere in many countries. Not just by Thai.....:P

Now, same/same.......thats Thai....;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

There are no Thai COs at the consulate. They are all US citizens, and speak English as their primary language. If the CO speaks any Thai, it will be whatever they have learned from taking classes or from their time living in Thailand.

That's why it is best for the girls to be able to speak English with the CO.

One other thing to keep in mind, if you are not going to be accompanying your fiancée/wife back from Thailand, they need to be able to read, write, speak & understand enough English to make the journey here, especially at their POC. If they can't, they will have a lot of difficulties.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

On my last trip back from Thailand I was sitting next to a Thai lady who had married an American man and was coming over on a K3 visa on her own. Her English was not so good and once she knew I spoke Thai, she spoke to me only in Thai. As we neared LAX, the customs and immigration forms were passed out and she asked me to help her fill them out. I agree with roi_aggie that a non-native English speaker might find it a bit challenging to travel here by themselves. With that said, there are plenty of friendly travelers who are quite willing to help out.

Though we recently decided to have a Thai ceremony first and return to America together, rising prices have made that improbable, so my fiancee will be making the trip on her own. Fortunately she has already come to America on her own before and being an English teacher doesn't hurt either. If any of your significant others would like to have an English tutor of Thai origin, let me know and I can put you in touch with her.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive online translation service? The embassy took her translated copy of her birth certificate and she didn't make a backup copy, thinking the embassy would just use her Thai birth certificate. I'd like to be able to scan her Thai BC, and upload to a translation service who will email back the translated document for AOS.

This "broken" English is how it is spoken everywhere in many countries. Not just by Thai.....:P

Now, same/same.......thats Thai....;)

Speaking of broken English, my husband started speaking to our DIL as if she didn't understand English, which is nuts, because she speaks and understands English perfectly. Her's is better than his!

Thai Mom

Anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive online translation service? The embassy took her translated copy of her birth certificate and she didn't make a backup copy, thinking the embassy would just use her Thai birth certificate. I'd like to be able to scan her Thai BC, and upload to a translation service who will email back the translated document for AOS.

shawn, we were in a similar situation. 2 suggestions i recommend contacting a court reporter very inexpensive relative to "translation services" since they only need to certify that they are fluent in both languages. or go to your local thai temple, since you are in socal you might want to make a trip to a wat, loads of people there could do it for you. (when we looked at online services they were $75+)

good luck

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

shawn, we were in a similar situation. 2 suggestions i recommend contacting a court reporter very inexpensive relative to "translation services" since they only need to certify that they are fluent in both languages. or go to your local thai temple, since you are in socal you might want to make a trip to a wat, loads of people there could do it for you. (when we looked at online services they were $75+)

good luck

That's what I did here in Dallas. I went to the Wat, dropped it off, picked it up the next day. Had the official stamp and everything. Made a $25 donation and that was it.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I know where Wat Thai is, but its about a good 1.5 hour drive. Anyone know of any Thai temples closer to Anaheim? I did a google search but couldn't find anything conclusive.

I found this site:

http://www.thai-la.com/temple.html

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Woohoo! NOA2 the 12th of December. It's a good thing too, cause I'm in BKK doing the medical and Police stuff. Can't wait!

Congratulations! That's awesome!!!!!!!

Mai dee! It took them a while to get your NOA2!

I'm waiting on mine to get my tickets and estimate when to go there and wait to bring her home.

I hope we don't run into any attitude problems...our relationship couldn't be more bona fide...but that's all up to one single individual and if it's "that time of the month" for him! LOL!

I was banking on returning 3/31 but how slow things look, not sure if 6 1/2 months is enough from filing date

Edited by HYENA

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.