mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

My fiancee called and was asking frantically if I'll be able to make it on 4 Dec. I told her I really don't know... I'm pretty sure my leave just went down the toilet. It's too bad it took this long and happened during this time of year for the boilover to finally start.

Have you checked into flying into Chaing Mai? Or Phuket. Most of the disturbance is on the east side of bkk (where Suvarnabhumi airport is), so maybe should could get a bus west to Phuket.

It would be a shame to have this screw up your leave!

Edited by symbiosis

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

should say: "maybe she could get bus ..."

you could get a flight into, say, singapore or Kuala Lumpur and then hop on a cheap Air Asia flight to Phuket:

http://www.airasia.com/site/th/en/home.jsp

Edited by symbiosis

My fiancee called and was asking frantically if I'll be able to make it on 4 Dec. I told her I really don't know... I'm pretty sure my leave just went down the toilet. It's too bad it took this long and happened during this time of year for the boilover to finally start.

Have you checked into flying into Chaing Mai? Or Phuket. Most of the disturbance is on the east side of bkk (where Suvarnabhumi airport is), so maybe should could get a bus west to Phuket.

If they can't get them out of Suvarnabhumi, they could just start routing flights through Don Maung again. (After properly securing the perimeter.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

No, the problem is that travel packages and travel itineraries have to be routed up the chain of command approved by our group C.O. and he's on leave for Thanksgiving. I have to submit a 20 page force protection package to go to a foreign country for leave lol. I've got clearance to go so far as the airport is opened back up, but I have instructions to get to the embassy ASAP no questions asked if anything escalates. It's better than nothing :) It helps to be in good standing with your superiors! :P

Edited by eric_f

No, the problem is that travel packages and travel itineraries have to be routed up the chain of command approved by our group C.O. and he's on leave for Thanksgiving. I have to submit a 20 page force protection package to go to a foreign country for leave lol. I've got clearance to go so far as the airport is opened back up, but I have instructions to get to the embassy ASAP no questions asked if anything escalates. It's better than nothing :)

I see, well I certainly hope it works out for you. Of course, if you arrived in Bkk and then immediately went south ...

Although there has been some disturbance in CM, past history shows that whatever happens is very likely to be a bkk-centric event. So, find a window, scoot in and then get the hell out of Krung Thep!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I see, well I certainly hope it works out for you. Of course, if you arrived in Bkk and then immediately went south ...

Although there has been some disturbance in CM, past history shows that whatever happens is very likely to be a bkk-centric event. So, find a window, scoot in and then get the hell out of Krung Thep!

That's the plan at least, I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breath lol :D

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Update: Special ticket arrangement due to the latest situation in Thailand

Cathay Pacific Airways advises that its flights between Hong Kong and Bangkok will continue to be affected by the closure of Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok, please click here for special ticketing arrangements.

frugin sux, im supposed to be leaving tuesday morning, dec. 4 arrival

Edited by Birch-Beer

I hope all of you get to see your finacees or spouses as scheduled. I noticed my son isn't speaking of 'politics as usual' in Thailand since Suvarnabhumi closed down. His wife is supposed to finally arrive here the 11th. He was there during the 2006 coup and referred to it as boring. I hope these current events will become boring, for everyone's sake. If problems continue he will be looking at southern routes, although I could see them making an effort to close them down too.

Thai Mom

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
He was there during the 2006 coup and referred to it as boring.

Thai Mom

My wife came into our bedroom freaking out waking me up in 2006. They shut off CNN and BBC on UBC for 24 hours. I think they told everyone not to come to work that day. Other than that, normal day to day life continued. I would also call it boring. No tanks on Sukhumvit. Boring/stability can be a nice thing sometimes.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

If they can't get them out of Suvarnabhumi, they could just start routing flights through Don Maung again. (After properly securing the perimeter.)

Now that's shut too.

Timeline

Bangkok post-

Whats the decree?

-------------------------------------------------

Govt preparing to impose Emergency Decree

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister and Defence Minister Somchai Wongsawat ordered relevant officials to draft the announcement on the enforcement of the Emergency Decree following the cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai province on Thursday.

The decree would be imposed at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, where the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) anti-government protesters occupied.

The Supreme Commander, Gen Songkitti Chakkabatr, who is deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s former classmate, would be in charge of enforcing the decree.

After the cabinet meeting, Government spokesman Nattawut Saikua, referring to the rumours that national army chief Anupong Paojinda could be dismissed, said the cabinet did not discussed any dismissal or transfer of any army official.

Edited by Birch-Beer

I hope all of you get to see your finacees or spouses as scheduled. I noticed my son isn't speaking of 'politics as usual' in Thailand since Suvarnabhumi closed down. His wife is supposed to finally arrive here the 11th. He was there during the 2006 coup and referred to it as boring. I hope these current events will become boring, for everyone's sake. If problems continue he will be looking at southern routes, although I could see them making an effort to close them down too.

Thai Mom

Yeah, Thailand tends to have "coup lights" or the "mai pen rai coup" as I called it in 2006. Like I said before, the fact that the military has denied it is planning a coup is the scary part -- as that almost certainly means they're preparing to move. Whatever the generals say, believe the opposite.

Timeline

Thai Mom

Yeah, Thailand tends to have "coup lights" or the "mai pen rai coup" as I called it in 2006. Like I said before, the fact that the military has denied it is planning a coup is the scary part -- as that almost certainly means they're preparing to move. Whatever the generals say, believe the opposite.

they're preparing anyway

capt.cps.oil88.271108111045.photo00.photo.default-512x355.jpg

Thai soldiers stand guard as anti-government protesters plan to protest outside the Air Force base in Bangkok. Thailand's government has asked the military to stay in their barracks as rumours circulated that the army was plotting a coup amid protests.

Edited by Birch-Beer

Here's the answer:

Suvarnabhumi Airport remains closed until Nov 29

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport will remain closed until 6pm of November 29, according to Airports of Thailand Acting President Serirat Prasutanond.

Serirat also added that Don Mueang Airport would be shut down until 6pm of Friday, November 28.

He said on Thursday that he has sought an injuction for the court's protection of Don Mueang Airport.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

30 emergency medical teams prepared for police's operation to clear airports: Chalerm

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoombamrung said he instructed the permanent secretary for Public Health to prepare 30 emergency medical teams in the aftermath of expected police's crackdown on protesters.

He said police would try to negotiate with protesters first.

"But if the negotiations fail, let's keep our fingers crossed," Chalerm said.

"I want the negotiations to be successful because I don't want to see bloodshed."

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

SO, the police are going to clear the airports by Saturday unless the army stages a coup first.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.