mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

I looked into this week about a one way to bkk and I called delta and told me since I am a usa citzen that I have to have proof of a return ticket or a forward of onward travel.

While technically true, in practice I've never heard of this being enforced. Personally, I have been to Thailand many times and have never been required to show such proof. In fact, I have even been there without a return ticket.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The dog does not go into quarentine. It's quit simply really. She has to bring the dog's rabbies vaccination record and a medical certificate issued within the past month. They do a quick physical inspection of the dog and so long as everything looks ok, they let them in immediately.

Here is a link to someone's personal story about doing it:

http://importfood.com/thai_dog.html

I looked into this week about a one way to bkk and I called delta and told me since I am a usa citzen that I have to have proof of a return ticket or a forward of onward travel.

While technically true, in practice I've never heard of this being enforced. Personally, I have been to Thailand many times and have never been required to show such proof. In fact, I have even been there without a return ticket.

Actually, I got the runaround from United one time in the U.S. I had a one-way because, at the time, I lived in Thailand. I even had the proper work visa and all. It was a major hassle that almost caused me to miss my flight.

BKK to JFK = $1021 24 hours

BKK to EWR = $1414 23 hours

BKK to IAD = $1300 21 hours

It's a tough one. I appreciate the advice toma1 to take two flights and perhaps save $200, however she may be travelling with her dog, so the shortest flight may be best.

Birch and eric, if you two wouldn't mind sharing any information you find while in Bangkok, I would be most grateful.

The dog will go into quarantine I'm pretty sure, right? You should check into that. Quarantine can be pretty long...

I'm not sure about your dates, but you can beat that price on Sidestep.com. I've see it as low as $640 to JFK in December on Kuwait Airlines.

On those discount flights, you've got to click on "taxes and fees" though. My experience is the low, low, prices have very high fees which brings them into line with the more "regular" fares. I've been checking and anything less than about $1,100 is not coming up.

ANNA GOT HER INTERVIEW SCHEDULED DECEMBER 8!! How soon will the visa be issued (assuming all goes well....)? (Remember that December 10 is a public holiday in Thailand.)

Wow! Congrats. But this scares me a bit. We sent in our Packet 3 a few days after you and Dec. is too soon for me to be in Bkk! I was planning to be there when Noi had her interview, but I was thinking best-case scenario would be a Jan. interview.

It's a tough one. I appreciate the advice toma1 to take two flights and perhaps save $200, however she may be travelling with her dog, so the shortest flight may be best.

Birch and eric, if you two wouldn't mind sharing any information you find while in Bangkok, I would be most grateful.

The dog will go into quarantine I'm pretty sure, right? You should check into that. Quarantine can be pretty long...

I'm not sure about your dates, but you can beat that price on Sidestep.com. I've see it as low as $640 to JFK in December on Kuwait Airlines.

On those discount flights, you've got to click on "taxes and fees" though. My experience is the low, low, prices have very high fees which brings them into line with the more "regular" fares. I've been checking and anything less than about $1,100 is not coming up.

That was the price on Kuwait Airlines after taxes.

Passengers Price Tax, fees + charges Full Price

1 Adult THB 20,790 THB 1,620 THB 22,410

Is getting interviews so soon at the BKK consulate a recent trend? I was banking on it being minimum 10 weeks from embassy receipt of Packet 3.

Yes it's much faster now... you'll be in the first half of December for sure. But the visa is valid for travel for quite a while; you don't have to fly immediately.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Looks like the PAD took over the airport. So until they get that resolved, not sure if anyone is going to Bangkok at any cost. Maybe Chiang Mai is still open.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I really dislike Kuwait Airlines. I used to fly them from MNL to BKK. Wasn't impressed with the condition of the aircraft at all... but it was my only option.

So how do you usually fly from TB to BKK, Tom? I've never had to fly to Asia from the East coast, since I moved here from Hawaii, and before that, lived in the Marshall Islands.

I am not looking forward to the loooooooong flights to get there... :(

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I agree, it is rarely enforced, if ever. I always flew to Thailand on a one way ticket. One time when I got to BKK they wanted to see an onward ticket at the immigration counter, which I didn't have, I just told them that I was going to Singapore in 30 days. That worked for about 2 years B)

I am beginning to re-think now how important it is for me to be there for my fiancee's interview. She's understandably a bit nervous (having been ill-treated at the same consulate during a previous B-2 visa interview that was denied), but I think she could do it.

How much is it likely to increase the odds if I am there? If her interview comes circa mid-Dec., it's going to be extremely difficult to get time off from work and afford the plane ticket in that time frame.

Timeline
I am beginning to re-think now how important it is for me to be there for my fiancee's interview. She's understandably a bit nervous (having been ill-treated at the same consulate during a previous B-2 visa interview that was denied), but I think she could do it.

How much is it likely to increase the odds if I am there? If her interview comes circa mid-Dec., it's going to be extremely difficult to get time off from work and afford the plane ticket in that time frame.

I'm not going to go for my wife's interview. I have alot of evidence though. Joint bills at the same address in Bangkok etc. From what I understand, there's not alot you can do at the interview anyway. Also, there's always a chance that she could be put in AR for who knows how long, so then you've wasted a trip. Just my opinion.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

I'm not going to go for my wife's interview. I have alot of evidence though. Joint bills at the same address in Bangkok etc. From what I understand, there's not alot you can do at the interview anyway. Also, there's always a chance that she could be put in AR for who knows how long, so then you've wasted a trip. Just my opinion.

We have good evidence too, having lived together in Bangkok for two years. Still ...

Thanks to what you've said and what I've heard from others, I think I might hold off if the interview is in Dec. I find it ironic though that after all these months of frustration as we wait, we are now both hoping for a slightly later interview date!

Timeline

We have good evidence too, having lived together in Bangkok for two years. Still ...

Thanks to what you've said and what I've heard from others, I think I might hold off if the interview is in Dec. I find it ironic though that after all these months of frustration as we wait, we are now both hoping for a slightly later interview date!

Laugh. I agree. My wife's interview wont be until January. NVC has already closed scheduling for December. I'd just hate to fly all the way over there to end up coming back alone. Who knows if the airport will even be open. I wish the military would take over again.

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received GC 2009-04-01

Note:

Welcome to the USA!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.