mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Timeline
Any of you guys that go back to Thailand on a semi regular basis to see your fiancee/wife, find that there is an adjustment period for the first few days your back in LOS? That it may take her a period of time to get "re-acquainted". Even though you talk on the phone a few times a day.....

Just curious, I am leaving to go back to Thailand for the 6th time, on 12/3, to see my wife. I've been doing this every 2 1/2 months or so now. (you can see my schedule in my time line below). I may be seeing this pattern....not sure.....

just some thoughts.........

When I went back at the beginning of September, there was a little bit of "re-acquainted", about 6 hours, after that it was fine. When I made it back at the end of October, there was none at all. I will be interested to see how it is when I show up on Thursday to surprise her. We just had one of our contracts shelved until next year, after Obama gets in and sees how he cuts defense spending. So I volunteered to take all my vacation, rather then having to layoff one of the other engineers. I will be in LOS for the next couple of months.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Any of you guys that go back to Thailand on a semi regular basis to see your fiancee/wife, find that there is an adjustment period for the first few days your back in LOS? That it may take her a period of time to get "re-acquainted". Even though you talk on the phone a few times a day.....

Just curious, I am leaving to go back to Thailand for the 6th time, on 12/3, to see my wife. I've been doing this every 2 1/2 months or so now. (you can see my schedule in my time line below). I may be seeing this pattern....not sure.....

I'm going back on the 3rd as well, arriving in BKK from LAX at 2345 on the 4th. Maybe we'll run into each other :P

~Eric

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm going back on the 3rd as well, arriving in BKK from LAX at 2345 on the 4th. Maybe we'll run into each other :P

~Eric

ahh, no kidding.....I am arriving at 1750 on the 4th. I hate that midnight arrival......this is the 3rd time I'm flying cathay pacific and arriving at 6pm from Hong Kong. I love it, comparatively speaking of course. gives enough time to get to the hotel, get "re-acquainted" :whistle: , go out for dinner, maybe to a bar for a bit......

i return on the 14th...........

Edited by Birch-Beer

Filed: Timeline
It is always hardest on the 1st generation of immigrants, and they will typically push away their ethnic culture and background, in order to better fit in. It is the 2nd generation that tries to rekindle with their roots.

This reminded me to ask about something that is only tangentially related, but since I have some experienced posters available I hope I might ask some advice.

What did you do to manage homesickness?

I live south of Tampa, so she won't have to adapt to weather very much. We also have an AMAZING Thai temple nearby: http://www.wattampa.com/PAGE_1/Page_12_Maintemple.html

But still, I worry about homesickness.

My fiancee is well traveled and well educated, but she has a definite preference for Thai food. (Though I must say a lot of Western food in Thailand is, well, BAD, and not a good example of the food she will actually get here. She still thinks spaghetti is properly served with Ketchup. LOL...) This issue is compounded by the fact that she is a Bangkok girl and used to having good cheap food on every street corner. She had a great job there and rarely cooked for herself, so she cannot really cook a lot of Thai food. (i.e. she's spoiled by BKK)

Her English is already quite good and she will take a few English courses when she first gets here. Eventually she'll go back to work. But in the meantime, what do you all suggest?

I was worried about the homesickness factor as well. I live in Seattle, WA so the weather difference is humongous. So far she's been adapting very well and she hasn't been bothered by the coldness.

She does miss Thai food a little bit, but it's nothing where it's bothering her.

She's taking english classes as an ESL course and had to test into a certain level. She tested into level 2 so she got to skip to levels which meant her english was pretty good, which I knew anyways but didn't know she'd test that well.

I remember I spoke with her a lot before she came about her being homesick and what we could do to help ease her homesickness and she always said "I won't be homesick, don't worry". I thought she might just be saying that to make me not worry, but really she hasn't been homesick at all.

Everyone is different so of course I can't guarantee your fiance won't be homesick but just thought I'd share my two cents.

Good luck.

Oh yea, also she's totally loving Pho (Vietnamese noodles)! She even says she likes them more than Thai noodles. About food, we both cook together usually every night. She's always been able to eat every type of food, and although she misses Thai food, she eats any type of food, especially Japanese food which is good because I'm Japanese-American.

Have you found a good source for Thai ingredients in Seattle? The NVC just sent our K-1 to the embassy in Bangkok and I'd like to find a good market for her before she comes over. Thanks

Not necessarily a THAI ONLY store, but there are stores that do sell Thai ingredients or food such as Viet Wah. Uwajimaya also does. The place we go is usually Ranch 99 in Renton area near Valley Medical.

been away for a few days...

congrats rin and john on the 10 year cards! that's fantastic news.

hilton, congrats to you as well...finally after all your waiting!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline
Does anyone know of cheap flights to BKK. I've been looking and the cheapest I have found in 1266.00 dollars. Under a grand would be sweet, but I won't hold my breath.

1266 isnt bad, under a grand, forget that, those days are gone. I am quite good at finding the discount fares and from JFK could get 1156. just dont like the times and flight.

what city are you leaving from?

When i get home tonight, I'll post the discount sites for you.

~Eric

Eric, this ought to be good for next week and make for some entertainment in BKK

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=132187

State enterprise workers will walk off the job nationwide next Monday and stay out until Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat and the government resign, the head of their union warned on Friday.........................

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Does anyone know of cheap flights to BKK. I've been looking and the cheapest I have found in 1266.00 dollars. Under a grand would be sweet, but I won't hold my breath.

I always make sure I check a wide variety of websites and airlines and on my last two trips www.cheaptickets.com was the cheapest. Most of the online sites seem to pull information from the same place though. I'd be interested to hear how others buy tickets too.

K1 Journey

03/22/07 - Mailed I-129 Application

08/18/07 - Thai Wedding

09/06/07 - Interview Successful!

10/25/07 - P.O.E. San Francisco

11/01/07 - U.S. Wedding

AOS Journey

11/09/07 - Mailed AOS & EAD

12/12/07 - Biometrics

02/04/08 - Transferred to CSC

02/16/08 - EAD Card Received

05/27/08 - Green Card!

Naturalization Journey

08/28/08 - Filed N-400 via Section 319(b)

10/29/08 - NOA

11/20/08 - Biometrics

01/15/09 - Interview

01/29/09 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I always make sure I check a wide variety of websites and airlines and on my last two trips www.cheaptickets.com was the cheapest. Most of the online sites seem to pull information from the same place though. I'd be interested to hear how others buy tickets too.

China Air and Korea Air both fly into Chiang Mai through Taipei; I think on Tuesdays and Thursdays if I remember right. Anyway, one time it was actually cheaper to fly to Chiang Mai and then buy a cheap $20 midnight AirAsia ticket to Bangkok. Just FYI if you normally fly West and are on a budget.

K1 Journey

08/18/07 - Thai Wedding

11/01/07 - U.S. Wedding

AOS Journey

12/12/07 - Biometrics

05/27/08 - Green Card!

Naturalization Journey

10/29/08 - NOA

11/20/08 - Biometrics

01/15/09 - Interview

01/29/09 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
It is always hardest on the 1st generation of immigrants, and they will typically push away their ethnic culture and background, in order to better fit in. It is the 2nd generation that tries to rekindle with their roots.

This reminded me to ask about something that is only tangentially related, but since I have some experienced posters available I hope I might ask some advice.

What did you do to manage homesickness?

I live south of Tampa, so she won't have to adapt to weather very much. We also have an AMAZING Thai temple nearby: http://www.wattampa.com/PAGE_1/Page_12_Maintemple.html

But still, I worry about homesickness.

My fiancee is well traveled and well educated, but she has a definite preference for Thai food. (Though I must say a lot of Western food in Thailand is, well, BAD, and not a good example of the food she will actually get here. She still thinks spaghetti is properly served with Ketchup. LOL...) This issue is compounded by the fact that she is a Bangkok girl and used to having good cheap food on every street corner. She had a great job there and rarely cooked for herself, so she cannot really cook a lot of Thai food. (i.e. she's spoiled by BKK)

Her English is already quite good and she will take a few English courses when she first gets here. Eventually she'll go back to work. But in the meantime, what do you all suggest?

Anya-D seems to have some good advice concerning the food.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=16166

She has a link in Thai that shows how to make good Thai food with American ingredients. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working right now.

http://www.kruaklaibaan.com/forum/index.php

You might send her a message. She seems pretty helpful when it comes to the Thai food in America department. I'm a little worried about this myself. When I lived in Thailand, it was pretty rare that we ate western food.

I found some pretty good Asian markets, as well as some friends I met at a Thai restaurants here. Thank god one girl offered to teach her to drive. I don't think I would have the patience for that. She's pretty excited about coming. I hope she's not as disappointed with the US as I am.

;-)

:devil: I just love to eat!! I dont know how to cook Thai food before, but when you live here long enough to get tired of all the food here - it calls survival! lol.

I'm actually enjoy cooking for other people especially americans to enjoy my food. I cooked for my fellow co-worker (American) every year a Thai feast (last time i made 10 different dishes for 25 people) and those are not a typical Thai food that you can find from a Thai restuarant here.

I dont know what happen with Klua Klai Bann website... I'll have to to check it at home...

By the way, anybody need Holy basil seeds, let me know.. I got a bunch to spear :) It only grow around 70+ degree climate though.

Be sure to contact Anya-D as Scott suggested. She and I have known each other for a long time, and she occasionally still checks in. She is a great source of information from the Thai immigrant side.

awww Thanks Roi :blush:

toma1, thanks for the link to the Holy Basil seeds. I also saw Thai chilis on Amazon as well. I'm excited, since my fiancee has also expressed a strong interest in having essential Thai ingrediants, such as the chilis. I have found Thai brand oyster and fish sauce in the area grocers. Looks like the last big thing will be papaya. She loves it too.

Fortunately she also enjoys western food such as pizza, pretzels, mac and cheese, etc. My only concern is that she does not put on too much weight! She's about 5 feet tall and weighs 90 pounds. I'm hoping an active lifestyle with regular exercise shall counterbalance a farang diet.

Yep, that's underweight. For a 5'0" woman the low end of normal BMI is 95.

My fiancee is 5'6"--virtually a giant among Thai women--and weighs 110. She should weigh at least 115, but she considers that to be fat. In fact any woman over there with a normal BMI seems to consider themselves to be fat.

OMG!! Then I'm a giant!!! LOL I'm 5'4 and weigh 125! :blush: Poeple here would say I'm in good shape, but compare to other Thais, I'm fat :whistle: or just 'big' hahahah I try to be active but living here for 4 years now - I think I gain 5 lbs a year! :devil: But no, I dont want to be 110 - just 120 is good for me.

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Timeline

คนอ้วนน่ารักมาก!

I would greatly appreciate some holy basil seeds! I would cook with it every day if I could. กะเพราไก่ ไข่ดาว is my favorite! Wow! Really want to eat it now.

So gentlemen, please make note that formerly diaphanous Thai ladies may pack on a few more pounds once they get here.

Timeline
คนอ้วนน่ารักมาก!

I would greatly appreciate some holy basil seeds! I would cook with it every day if I could. กะเพราไก่ ไข่ดาว is my favorite! Wow! Really want to eat it now.

So gentlemen, please make note that formerly diaphanous Thai ladies may pack on a few more pounds once they get here.

No matter how hard we try to find ingredients in the U.S., nothing is quite the same as the real thing in Thailand... We've found ways to improvise though!

We brought a bunch of seeds back with us but they searched our luggage and took them out on the way back to the U.S. Our nearest Thai grocer had small basil plants though which didn't grow well. They also had Thai chilis and we planted those and have more peppers than we know what to do with!

K1 Journey

08/18/07 - Thai Wedding

11/01/07 - U.S. Wedding

AOS Journey

12/12/07 - Biometrics

05/27/08 - Green Card!

Naturalization Journey

10/29/08 - NOA

11/20/08 - Biometrics

01/15/09 - Interview

01/29/09 - Oath Ceremony

try asaptickets.com...i just bought tickets there for $710 and with tax i paid 1044. that was the more expensive itinerary because i wanted to fly united (mileage) but they currently they have JAL for $301*rt (the * is for the taxes which are about $350) anyways good luck with finding a good fare. let me know if you end up using them. they have been great for us the last few years.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

Here ya go, try these....

that kills me, they say the price of a ticket is 750, then you go to book it and it jumps 350 for taxes, what a crock of &%%*

vayama.com usually gives it to you straight.

one of the best I've used is cheapoair.com but I always compare on these sites below. they check multiple fares and compare.

http://asia.com/cheap_flights_1.html?gclid...CFSJ3lgodCQIjAQ

http://www.bookingbuddy.com/

http://www.bt-store.com/

http://farecast.live.com/?cid=g_gen_airfare

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I almost always use united.com Purchased a month or so in advance, I can usually get a round trip ticket from Yuma to Bangkok for about 1100. I've noticed that prices seem to be cheapest 30-45 days before you want to leave. I don't know why, maybe itineraries aren't finalized? As previously mentioned, vayama puts a smile on my face as well.

Edited by eric_f

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.