mr4422

SAWASDEE 2

4,363 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Also, are you sure you can attend the interview?

I never said the petitioner could attend the interview. What you said is accurate, the American petitioner is allowed inside the embassy, but shall not sit during the interview.

I never claimed you said the petitioner could attend the interview, although I can see why you thought that as I asked that question in response to your response to raptorea, however I was asking raptorea that question again because I had asked him previously when he first asked if it'd be better to attend the interview. I don't think he saw that question to him, and then he posted it again saying his lawyer told him it'd be better to attend, so I asked him again.

Question about packet 4:

After fiancee receives appointment letter, is that when the I-134 (affidavit of support) should be returned to consulate?

The I-134 should be BROUGHT to the consulate WITH the beneficiary at the time of the interview.

Question about packet 4:

After fiancee receives appointment letter, is that when the I-134 (affidavit of support) should be returned to consulate?

I-134 should have been mailed to the consulate with Packet 3. but if she didn't mail it then she can bring it along on her interview date. After she gets her Packet 4,DO NOT return anything to the consulate,all she has to do is to wait for her interview date to come. hope this help :)

This is incorrect. The I-134 should NOT have been mailed with the Packet 3. The I-134 should be brought to the consulate on the interview date.

Unless something has changed in the past few months, then this is the way it is done.

Ok I understand about interview however I will be there anyway as support. Now next to the next question Has anyone heard of the need to have 60 plus photos of the two of you for the interview process?? Thank you....

No, this isn't true either. You do NOT need 60+ photos. We had around that number but that's because we would always take lots of pictures. You'd be fine with, say, 12.

So if you don't have 60, don't worry. How many do you have?

Around 35 or so with many family members and also the two of us. Thank you.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline

I never said the petitioner could attend the interview. What you said is accurate, the American petitioner is allowed inside the embassy, but shall not sit during the interview.

I never claimed you said the petitioner could attend the interview, although I can see why you thought that as I asked that question in response to your response to raptorea, however I was asking raptorea that question again because I had asked him previously when he first asked if it'd be better to attend the interview. I don't think he saw that question to him, and then he posted it again saying his lawyer told him it'd be better to attend, so I asked him again.

Question about packet 4:

The I-134 should be BROUGHT to the consulate WITH the beneficiary at the time of the interview.

Question about packet 4:

I-134 should have been mailed to the consulate with Packet 3. but if she didn't mail it then she can bring it along on her interview date. After she gets her Packet 4,DO NOT return anything to the consulate,all she has to do is to wait for her interview date to come. hope this help :)

This is incorrect. The I-134 should NOT have been mailed with the Packet 3. The I-134 should be brought to the consulate on the interview date.

Unless something has changed in the past few months, then this is the way it is done.

Ok I understand about interview however I will be there anyway as support. Now next to the next question Has anyone heard of the need to have 60 plus photos of the two of you for the interview process?? Thank you....

No, this isn't true either. You do NOT need 60+ photos. We had around that number but that's because we would always take lots of pictures. You'd be fine with, say, 12.

Oh, then don't worry you have nothing to worry about. 35 is more than substantial.

Although 60 wouldn't hurt one bit, 35 is more than enough.

Good luck.

This whole photo thing has me wondering.

My fiancee and I had a Thai traditional Buddhist ceremony in Thailand this summer. We did NOT register (which is common in Thailand) and are NOT LEGALLY MARRIED in Thailand, the USA, or anywhere else. For this reason we had to apply for a K1 visa and not a K3 visa.

My question is: Would taking photos from our ceremony help or hurt? On one hand, I could see them helping, because that REALLY helps to establish our relationship. But on the other hand, if the interviewer in BKK does not understand this custom, he or she might believe that we are married and give us problems with the K1 visa. In a perfect world, the interviewer would be familiar with the local customs, however I really have no idea how this situation will be viewed by the embassy.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Edited by toma1

Timeline

Question about packet 4:

Question about packet 4:

Oh, then don't worry you have nothing to worry about. 35 is more than substantial.

Although 60 wouldn't hurt one bit, 35 is more than enough.

Good luck.

Thank you for the replys. I guess what still amaze me is the proof that you have to go through to say you or show that you really love each other. I suppose that it is no

wonder with no disrespect that people living close to our borders choose to side track this step so to speak.

Maybe I am looking to much into it, But it seems very hard to get through this whole process. Maybe it is just missing your loved one.?

I think a movie could be made out of the process of trying to bring someone you have fallen in loved with to your country. Who knows there might be one already.!

I am already looking in hindsight and thinking about what a great feeling it must be once the airplane touches ground and the both of you are in the Usa or whatever

country you are from.

good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee and I had a Thai traditional Buddhist ceremony in Thailand this summer. We did NOT register (which is common in Thailand) and are NOT LEGALLY MARRIED in Thailand, the USA, or anywhere else. For this reason we had to apply for a K1 visa and not a K3 visa.

My question is: Would taking photos from our ceremony help or hurt? On one hand, I could see them helping, because that REALLY helps to establish our relationship. But on the other hand, if the interviewer in BKK does not understand this custom, he or she might believe that we are married and give us problems with the K1 visa. In a perfect world, the interviewer would be familiar with the local customs, however I really have no idea how this situation will be viewed by the embassy.

I'm not sure about the embassy in BKK, but I have read some posts on here about India. People showed up with wedding photos (they didn't register the marriage, and had problems. They said something like "you're already married, you can't file K-1) If it was me, I wouldn't show them any wedding photos just to avoid confusion. If you have other photos, just use those.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

In Thailand it is well known that the only way to be legally married is by registering with the Amphur, and it is my firm belief that the consular officers know this very well. There is no ambiguity, as in some other countries. My kids had an Amphur only marriage. Pictures of the two of them in front of landmarks, taken at different times (look at the clothes and locations) and with family were what they submitted.

Thai Mom

Timeline

hey, don't include the photos of your ceremony. the positives of those photos don't come close to outweighing the risks (the risk of planting the thought in your interviewer's mind that you might already be married, the risk of miscommunication while she's possibly having to explain them, etc.)

do not take them to the interview and open that door!

dvd

Filed: Timeline

hey, don't include the photos of your ceremony. the positives of those photos don't come close to outweighing the risks (the risk of planting the thought in your interviewer's mind that you might already be married, the risk of miscommunication while she's possibly having to explain them, etc.)

do not take them to the interview and open that door!

dvd

I agree. I personally wouldn't bring them. This same type of situation has been brought up millions of time on here, and everyone always gives the same answer, which is to not bring them.

The CO may interpret it as marriage photos, and there really is just no point in taking that risk.

The decision is, of course, entirely up to you, however I personally wouldn't. It's just not worth the risk.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Devkpaik

The embassy info here says the DS-230 Part I should be returned to the consulate UNSIGNED (as part of packet 3), but the packet 3 information doesn't mention this. Can someone please clarify?!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yeah, I have to agree that it would be a bad idea to show pictures of the ceremony. Don't make them question anything.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
The embassy info here says the DS-230 Part I should be returned to the consulate UNSIGNED (as part of packet 3), but the packet 3 information doesn't mention this. Can someone please clarify?!

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3194.html

Sign part I, part II must be signed at the interview.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3194.html

Sign part I, part II must be signed at the interview.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just wanted to let everyone here know that Rin and the children had their nterview today in Memphis. Took about 15 minutes for the interview. The officer swore Rin and I in, asked to see originals of passports, EAD, driver's licenses, birth certificates, and marriage certificates (compared each to the copy in his folders). Asked how we met; asked each child their birthdate and birthplace; then for any information on house contracts, life insurance, medical insurance, etc. That was about it.

Told us we were approved then printed a sheet of paper indicating approval and that the GC (10 year as we have been married just over two years) would be mailed to our home.

No more USCIS! (well at least until naturalization)

John

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Timeline
Kang Lang,

How's the AOS process coming alone?

Any updates for us?

Hope all is well. :)

well my fiance got her visa today after she received a call from the embassy back on the 8th of november she was told her visa was ready but they needed her passport, she went to the embassy on the 10th of november and they took her passports and only said we'll call you...... so we started the wait ...again... finially on the 18th we had not heard anything from the embassy I decided to send them an email ( to the special address) and they wrote back that her visa had been issued on the 13th and it was ready for pick up. After one more e-mail to confirm it was in fact ready for pick up ( because they told her that they would call her when it was ready and she had not received a call, and I've read here on several ocasions were members have received emails saying their visa was ready for pick up, gone to pick it up and then turned away being told to wait for the call and then come back) she arrived today at the embassy went to the window told them her name and they gave her the visa's and envalope and she was on her way all in about 15 min. she will be on a plane on sunday!!!!!

Just wanted to let everyone here know that Rin and the children had their nterview today in Memphis. Took about 15 minutes for the interview. The officer swore Rin and I in, asked to see originals of passports, EAD, driver's licenses, birth certificates, and marriage certificates (compared each to the copy in his folders). Asked how we met; asked each child their birthdate and birthplace; then for any information on house contracts, life insurance, medical insurance, etc. That was about it.

Told us we were approved then printed a sheet of paper indicating approval and that the GC (10 year as we have been married just over two years) would be mailed to our home.

No more USCIS! (well at least until naturalization)

John

Congratulations John, Rin and children on nearly three years of freedom to come! Unless, of course, you move and have to change all of your addresses.

Thai Mom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.