• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

We got an interview date October 6 at 730!!

I am very surprised and happy as Joom just returned to Thailand from England and mailed Packet 3 on Sept 15.

She got a letter in the mail yesterday telling her the interview date and time.

Our NOA2 expires Oct 23 so maybe that has something to do with the fast reply.

She has her medical, birth certificate, single document, family register and waiting for police certificate which should be next week as they told her 10 days. So I think we are ready.

We are very excited and nervous.

Anyway...had to share

Thanks

Timeline
Hello Everyone!

I am very surprised and happy as Joom just returned to Thailand from England and mailed Packet 3 on Sept 15.

She has her medical, birth certificate, single document, family register and waiting for police certificate which should be next week as they told her 10 days. So I think we are ready.

Anyway...had to share

Thanks

:huh: Whoops.....it is the I-129F that expires. The NOA2 is the second Notice Of Action.

(I don't want to confuse anyone) :)

Thanks

George

Timeline
Hello Everyone!

Anyway...had to share

Thanks

:huh: Whoops.....it is the I-129F that expires. The NOA2 is the second Notice Of Action.

(I don't want to confuse anyone) :)

Thanks

George

:unsure: OK...I just confused myself...It is the I-797C....That is the NOA2....correct????

It expires in 4 months....Oct 23 for us.

Ahhhhhhh!! :wacko:

Anyway....Sorry about the confusion and mess....

While I am thinking about it....Is the interview in Thai or English???

George

Hi George,

Congrats on the fast interview! They'll interview in the language of your fiance's preference. My DIL interviewed in English. I am assuming your fiance is fluent in English (at least the King's version). There should be no problem either way. Best wishes.

Thai Mom

Filed: Timeline
Hi George,

Congrats on the fast interview! They'll interview in the language of your fiance's preference. My DIL interviewed in English. I am assuming your fiance is fluent in English (at least the King's version). There should be no problem either way. Best wishes.

Thai Mom

Congrats George-Joom!!

A question for you learned people. When last I wrote I was headed to Thailand to see my fiancee who had decided she did not want to follow through with the K-1 visa. While there I extended my trip an extra week and after a few hassles with papers the Amphur's office wanted we got married. I know how difficult it is to get a tourist visa and probably even harder now that we are married as the will probably think she will come here to stay illegally on that visa. But I do want her to come here and meet my parents, grandkids, my kids, etc.

So any suggestions on any other kind of visa I can get to get her here for 30 days or so other than a K-3 now? I'd hate to go through all that process just to get her here for about a month only and then go back to Thailand. I still plan to move there in 2-3 years when I retire again. And yes, I wish she would have agreed to finish the fiancee visa, come here for 4-5 months and then she could have gone back to Thailand. But that's not an option now that we are married.

Thanks!!

I would move forward with the K3. You never know when you might want to go back even if it's a for short time. Health benefits or a relative getting sick. Yes it will take you quite a while but I would think you would want her to travel back and forth with you should you need to return.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

I-129F Sent : 2008-01-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-01-23

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-06-02

NVC Received : 2008-06-11

NVC Left : 2008-06-18

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-06-19

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-22

Interview Date : 2008-08-27 Submit Review

Visa Received : 2008-10-02

US Entry : 2008-10-04

Marriage : 2007-12-21

Joy and I were married on 11/21/2008 and mailed in for her Green Card on 12/1/2008. Marraige agrees with Joy and I.

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 131 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 217 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Port of Entry Review

Event Date

Port of Entry : San Francisco

POE Date : 2008-10-04 Submit Review

Got EAD Stamp : Yes,Passport Stamp

Biometrics Taken :

Harassment Level : 0

Comments :

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2008-12-15

NOA Date : 2008-12-20

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2009-01-07

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2009-03-11 Submit Review

Approval / Denial Date : 2009-03-11

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received: 2009-03-21

Comments : New Problemss but not too serious. Green Card came with the wrong Birthday and had to file I-90. We are told that it will take 6 months to replace the card.

congrats george and joom! good luck to you.

another pesky question. my SIL is in the pacific northwest as an au pair and would like to "change" her visa to a student visa. of course she wants me to sponsor her and i said i would consider it but have to really think about it givent he i-864 requirements (nothing against her just nervous signing that document i take it very seriously) my question is can the visa type actually be changed? if so how would we go about it? would she need an attorney)

thank you!!!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
A question for you learned people. When last I wrote I was headed to Thailand to see my fiancee who had decided she did not want to follow through with the K-1 visa. While there I extended my trip an extra week and after a few hassles with papers the Amphur's office wanted we got married. I know how difficult it is to get a tourist visa and probably even harder now that we are married as the will probably think she will come here to stay illegally on that visa. But I do want her to come here and meet my parents, grandkids, my kids, etc.

So any suggestions on any other kind of visa I can get to get her here for 30 days or so other than a K-3 now? I'd hate to go through all that process just to get her here for about a month only and then go back to Thailand. I still plan to move there in 2-3 years when I retire again. And yes, I wish she would have agreed to finish the fiancee visa, come here for 4-5 months and then she could have gone back to Thailand. But that's not an option now that we are married.

Thanks!!

Hey Tom, welcome home, and congratulations on your marriage! :thumbs:

As for your options, applying for a K-3 visa is about your only choice, and best bet. The nice thing about a K-3 visa, is that it is a multiple-entry visa that is good for two year. If you are planning on moving there in 3 years, then it would work out just right, since it could take up to a year to get the visa.

Have you asked Wariya if she'd be willing to go through the medical and interview process for a K-3 visa? That's going to be your deciding factor. Otherwise, plan on your family visiting you and your new wife, and step-daughter in Thailand.

Robert

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

so i finally got everything in order and mailed out our AOS package today. ironically it will arrive on 1 October our 1 year wedding anniversary!

ROC Timeline

calendar reset

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

Timeline

Some questions.

Reading through the posts, it seems that the first thing eveyone did once there fiancee arrived is apply for a Social security #, But i didnt see anywhere that it said to do that first? Im a little confused about the order everything must go in.

Do you need a soc # to get a marriage license??

after Fiancee arrives, First apply for soc #, then get married, then apply for change of status, at the same time apply for advanced parole and work permit?? Is that right???

hi rolln, welcome!

it is alot easier to conduct business if your fiancee has an ssn. alot of banks require it to add or open new accounts in both names and also needed to get an identification card in most states. although some just waited until after the marriage and aos to do it so as not to deal with names on the documents (maiden name vs. married name) it's really a preference.

also please fill in your timeline! it helps others alot!

good luck to you!!

ROC Timeline

calendar reset

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Some questions.

Reading through the posts, it seems that the first thing eveyone did once there fiancee arrived is apply for a Social security #, But i didnt see anywhere that it said to do that first? Im a little confused about the order everything must go in.

Do you need a soc # to get a marriage license??

after Fiancee arrives, First apply for soc #, then get married, then apply for change of status, at the same time apply for advanced parole and work permit?? Is that right???

It's much easier to get the SSN using your fiancée’s Maiden name, and then getting another card after getting married. That way there isn't any confusion on the part of the SSA office workers. When some workers see a different last name then what is in their system, they mistakenly think the applicant is no longer qualified for a SSN.

There really is no hurry to get a SSN, it's just something to do! If you do get one, you get to put it on your AOS application, which is just another means of showing a good faith relationship.

Most states won't issue either an ID or a drivers license without a Green Card or EAD AND a SSN, so waiting till after getting the 2 yr conditional GC (or EAD) is perfectly fine, and is what K-3 visa holders HAVE to do. If you are bound and determined to put your new wife straight to work, then by all means get a SSN right off the bat.

As for needing a SSN for the marriage license, you need to check with your county clerk to find out. As for your understanding of the order in which to obtain the various cards, you are correct.

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

I have an interview question. My fiancee tried twice for a 'B' visa (and failed) before we applied for the K. I was there for one of the B interviews, but not the other. We didn't realize at the time that tourist visas have such a low approval rate in Noi's situation (poor, rural, etc.).

Her English is pretty good, but she's not fluent. At the time, I thought it would reflect well on her application if she opted for an interview in English. However, she felt that conducting the interview in English made her a bit nervous and that there may have been some misunderstanding. (for the record, I even had trouble hearing the CO through that little bank-teller thingy!).

Anyway, she's saying now that maybe the K-1 interview should be conducted in Thai instead of English.

My question is: how will that affect her chances of approval? Is she more likely to be approved if the interview is in English, which would be seen as evidence of our "common" language?

Timeline

Hi everybody!

just an up date:

we were approved for the visa on sept. 29

and we got it in hand on oct. 1

the interview was just alot of questions over and over.

some times the same questions asked diffrent ways.

take care,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.