Clock Ticking

Active Military w/ OCONUS orders - Spouse J-1 Visa Hardship Waiver

2 posts in this topic

After doing a ton of pointed Google searching, I feel like I'm the first Military member to marry a J-1 visa holder.  Due to the nature of her visa she is obligated to return to her home country for two-years aggregate prior to being eligible for any type of Immigrant visa or Legal Permanent  Residence.  With that being said, she has filed an I-612 with USCIS to prove a Hardship against me as a U.S. citizen to get the requirement waived.  Luckily it looks like USCIS has concurred and has sent it to the Department of State for their opinion.

My question is, what avenues have any fellow Military members used to expedite the processing?  I'm currently on a dependent-restricted tour so she is back in the US, still on her J-1 visa.  I have orders to move to another OCONUS base that is dependent authorized and she is on the orders.  My orders are to move within the month, but her visa is good until the middle of this year.  The expiration of her visa is pretty much the date we need to beat.  I have an I-130 in already with USCIS.  I just need this two year requirement waiver expedited so that she can file for an Adjustment of Status before moving OCONUS with me.

Any info would be much appreciated. 

One thing the Military has taught me, where there is a will there is a waiver.

• 3 weeks later...

To request expedited processing, please send an email to 212ewaiver@state.gov outlining your circumstances and including any supporting documentation. Requests for expedited processing may be made by an applicant, his or her attorney

Worth giving it a shot, send an email , attach copy of the I-612 Receipt Notice and if you can doctor/ visits/ prescription if any … urgent care or ER visits if any. 
Your circumstances should be a “crisis “ that interferes with your ability to function ( anxiety/ depression/ can’t sleep…)  So ..emotional/ psychological health crisis in lieu of emergency physical / medical condition. It’s common for stress to cause a debilitating health problems ( stomach, migraines, immune system ). Don’t know if you went on base for treatment submitted w your waiver or off base…for privacy reasons. 

Personally , I think all our active military should be given expedited processing for family members. So even if you have little supporting docs, you are a good writer, give it try.

Salute! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.