billsafari

Moving to Russia

64 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
WOW! City... You sound depressed.

Life is what you make of it. At least here in the USA almost anyone can have the opportunity to succeed (or fail). Here it's more of a choice than in some other countries.

:yes:

Succeed in what? Fail in what? It's the deepest philosophical question: what is happiness?

I have a successful challenging career all lined up in front of me, I live in a great place, have a super sweet new ride, I am also socially successful and if you read my posts discussing some issues of beauty, you'd also know that I am considerably physically attractive (I posted under "noone" then) and relatively healthy. I have a husband that loves me and I love him dearly. Well, guess what?

LIFE STILL SUCKS!

I don't want to bore you with a clinical definition of depression, but I hope you'd take my word for it - I am not depressed.

It's just a stone cold fact - life is a misery by definition. And optimistic Americans try to cover it with glossy smiles on their family pictures.

And pessimistic Russians try to cover it up with grimaces? Not really sure what you are trying to say.

It's all relative... Happiness is in the mind of the beholder (so to speak).

Sounds like you have some strong opinions and you're entitled to them and thanks to the forefathers of this fine land you are even free to express them as distasteful as they may be to others.

:)

Cheer up, It'll be ok.

725268776.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Sounds like you have some strong opinions and you're entitled to them and thanks to the forefathers of this fine land you are even free to express them as distasteful as they may be to others.

Why almost every time somebody who is not American dares have a different perspective, it is shoveled into his/her face, that although his/her opinion is as insignificant and wrong (or, pardon me, distasteful) as it may be it is such a huge and undeserved privilege to be able to express these opinions on this blessed free land to the perfectly tasteful local inhabitants?

Just for the sake of reality check, who is not an immigrant here at some generation level?

With that in mind, national prejudice seems even less appropriate than race prejudice.

Also, I get paid and rewarded by my AMERICAN bosses and colleagues for my "distasteful" opinions, so I'd really appreciate it if you, respected poster, could define your idea of "distasteful" for me not to clutter the forum with them any more? Thank you kindly!

About the position on life:

I'd quote John Kenneth Galbraith: "We all agree that pessimism is a mark of superior wisdom"

So the attitude of "Life sucks, wear the helmet" pays back sometimes. It cuts down whining and hysterics at least by half. And that's exactly what I was trying to say.

I'd quote John Kenneth Galbraith: "We all agree that pessimism is a mark of superior wisdom"

So the attitude of "Life sucks, wear the helmet" pays back sometimes. It cuts down whining and hysterics at least by half.

Right, as long as you wear your own helmet and cut your own whining and hysterics. But when you start parading your pessimism before depressed and struggling souls, it looks arrogant and unsensitive. "Life sucks" is the last thing they want to hear.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Timeline

Sorry to hear your life sucks. From the facts about your life you have given it sounds like it sucks without reason. You might want to think about getting on some medications that may really help you a lot.

Life can be very beautiful. Enjoy it while it lasts. It doesn't last as long as you think it will. Happiness is a state of mind. Success is a journey not a destination. How could anything in life be a destination. We all end up the same place.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
Right, as long as you wear your own helmet and cut your own whining and hysterics. But when you start parading your pessimism before depressed and struggling souls, it looks arrogant and unsensitive. "Life sucks" is the last thing they want to hear.

And the first thing they should pay attention to!!! Struggling and depressed souls need to be more struggling and less depressed, and that's where the pessimistic attitude helps.

Besides, if they didn't want to hear a response to their struggling and depressions they shouldn't have put it on a public forum...

Am I the only one in the whole country who realizes how hard life is and how difficult it is to survive, make ends meet, create reputation, build a fortune, do your job in the world of ruthless competition? How is it happiness, I am wondering?

I just have a gut to except it and be honest with the world, not trying to paint it pink no matter what.

Insensitive?.. Well, who would say...

Timeline
Sorry to hear your life sucks. From the facts about your life you have given it sounds like it sucks without reason. You might want to think about getting on some medications that may really help you a lot.

Life can be very beautiful. Enjoy it while it lasts. It doesn't last as long as you think it will. Happiness is a state of mind. Success is a journey not a destination. How could anything in life be a destination. We all end up the same place.

Ha-ha! Again, do I absolutely have to start a special topic and post some kind of certification there that proves that I am not depressed, or psycho (before you ask)?.. Dare to differ.

Life in general sucks, not mine or your, mine and yours, altogether. It's a bloody battle and nobody wins! Isn't it better to except it at the very beginning and be ready for all knives in the back it has for you?

But then again, who am I to be right or wrong? How can it be tested against the trite time proven set of phrases that is used in all appropriate and inappropriate situations and basically none of these phrases mean anything?

Anyone who claims to be a Steelers fan in a public forum should be on medication.

That aside, I believe what CityCat is saying is life by it's very definition is a struggle and happiness isn't something that just happens becuase you're blessed to be American (or lucky enough to get the visa to America) and living the American Dream. Even if things are going so great for you, according to the American Dream, it's still hard. It's a struggle, and you don't make yourself happy by getting the things you struggle for, you get happy by being happy about something that makes you happy. You have to find happiness somewhere, but guess what? The rest of life is hard. Struggle through it and don't expect to be happy so much!

Or, I can sum it up a lot easier than that - Set your standards a lot lower. You'll be happier when you exceed them. If you have the expectation that life is, by it's very nature, $#!t.... then when something good happens, you'll be happy with it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Anyone who claims to be a Steelers fan in a public forum should be on medication.

That aside, I believe what CityCat is saying is life by it's very definition is a struggle and happiness isn't something that just happens becuase you're blessed to be American (or lucky enough to get the visa to America) and living the American Dream. Even if things are going so great for you, according to the American Dream, it's still hard. It's a struggle, and you don't make yourself happy by getting the things you struggle for, you get happy by being happy about something that makes you happy. You have to find happiness somewhere, but guess what? The rest of life is hard. Struggle through it and don't expect to be happy so much!

Or, I can sum it up a lot easier than that - Set your standards a lot lower. You'll be happier when you exceed them. If you have the expectation that life is, by it's very nature, $#!t.... then when something good happens, you'll be happy with it.

Thank you! For this post I'll even ignore (and forgive) your Steelers strike!

Edited by CityCat

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I'll help with the ones, I know...

1. Can I (a foreigner) own property in Russia? (Flat or build a house)

:yes: Yes! This is no problem now. Just be certain you understand that purchasing land may have many restrictions and more than likely Russia will ALWAYS own the mineral rights. A flat is no problem what so ever.

2. Can I have a bank account in Russia? Is it difficult to wire money from a USA account to a Russian bank account?

:yes: Absolutely and not difficult at all. Just do not expect to be approved for any credit unless you have residency and well established income.

3. Do I have to go to a Russian driving school to get a driver's license?

:unsure: I believe you only must complete a written and road test.

4. How will this affect the AOS and my girl's green card, citizenship process here in the USA?

:unsure: Not sure about this.

5. Will I have to pay capital gains taxes in Russia along with my taxes in the US? I hope not!!

:no: No.

6. Will we need to marry in Russia also to get my temporary residences visa, then permenant residence?. (If anyone can shed some light on this whole subject and process it would be greatly apreciated.)

You do not have to remarry. As long as you have an apostle of your marriage certificate, you are fine. Getting residency is in constant change. It also is severely affected by regional laws. When I was in Kazan' the requirements were two-fold, a legal marriage and ownership of property in the Republic of Tatarstan.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
Life is horrible by definition, people are born into misery and die in misery

Wow, CityCat, you must be a Buddhist! :thumbs:

It is a quote from some religious book, Christian, but I am not particularly sure, Catholic or Orthodox or maybe something else, don't remember. It's a good quote - it has helped me a lot in life.

============

Kinda has that same spirit that the Book of Job is loaded with.

In some way it's a little depressing to face the true emptyness of life yet it is also like walking on the

empty beach... as you watch those waves roll to the shore, endlessly, knowing they have been doing it for millions of years, you realize how insignificant your moment on the beach... or even your life really is, yet somehow that walk on the beach adds more meaning or connects you to something big, bigger than yourself and it feels good.

Which reminds me, I need a trip to the beach!

Danny

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Which reminds me, I need a trip to the beach!

Me too!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

CityCat,

this is the famous Russian attitude, LOL. But I swear there are happy people in this world. I used to share your view, but now that I have seen happy people and know they exist... I will not agree to be unhappy anymore. Not for all the great jobs and lovely cars.

"Life is hard and then you die" is still my motto, but it does not hold the same dark meaning anymore.

If you find that moment, you strreeeeetch it, recreate it and stretch it again. Until it covers most of your life/time... and when you see that 90% of time you are happy - can you deny that you are happy in general. Regardless of the other 10% that surely still suck :devil: Like going through immigration...

Anyway... happiness (or not) is a choice. It barely depends on outside circumstances, although happiness/unhappiness can be and often is triggered by outside events. You may choose to be unhappy (there is pleasure in this too, of course), but it is a choice, not inevitable reality.

Life is horrible by definition, people are born into misery and die in misery, the trick is to find a moment or a person that's good and hold on to it.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with positive people:)Its all about You that makes sense in the world around You!I believe happiness is inside you but i guess not everyone is that lucky to feel it:)

And then life is hard wherever,in Russia,all Europe,And USA and guess what?there are countries where people dream of having a place to work at and they just cant!There are people out there that experience much more difficulties than You do.So just smile and be happy that you have a health and ability to work and enjoy life:)!!!Life is what you making out of it:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
CityCat,

this is the famous Russian attitude, LOL.

Well, you know, I don't like generalizations. This kind of attitude is quite common among artists, highly intelligent people, or young people (who are also highly intelligent). I don't think it has anything to do with nationality or ethnic background.

The medication comment is out of line, imo. I was clinically depressed in my teenage years, and I can assure you, depression has nothing to do with being sad. Yes, it makes you feel sad, but it also gives you a sense of helplessness - you feel crappy, and you desperately want for it to stop, but you just can't fix it. This is where medication comes into play - it definitely helps. Depression is a chemical imbalance of (mainly) serotonine and neuropenephrine in your brain, whereas pessimism is just an individual choice of how a person wants to feel about life. And it sure helps people to be creative and it can also be a source of inspiration. I respect that. I do not feel the same way about life as CityCat does, but I don't think that feeling this way is abnormal.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I lived in Vladimir over 7 years!And i do not advice you to move there!Its simply boring!I have my family living there.

In 2-3 years when she visits her city she will see the difference and will never want to live there again..lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.