BESANGIN

Visitor's Visa

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Virgin Islands
Timeline

Hey African Crew,

Has anyone successfully helped an elderly inlaw get a visitor's visa to the US? We are looking to try to get my mother-in-law over for a visit, and need some advice from successful petitioner's who went through the AWFUL Lagos embassy. We hope her chances are good since she owns her own home and gets a retirement pension there. Her youngest son is still there who she is putting through school, so that is another definite tie. So she will take all of that info in addition to photos of our home here and all of our documents. So give me feedback people. Sonya

Edited by BESANGIN

3/14/06 - ACTED A FOOL 1 month to the day GC received!!!

9/21/07- Went to the LAUNDROMAT. Visa Journey OVER FOR GOOD!!!!!

Timeline

Wow,

No one with a successful visitor's visa from Lagos. That only speaks to the obvious racism and discrimmination that goes on in that embassy. Makes me very angry but what can you do when the root of it starts with our own government. Oh well, prayerfully God will give us success, and I can share with others so you too can get A relative maybe two, over for a visit. Keep us in your prayers. Sonya

Filed: Timeline

Nani and I are in the process of prepping a visa application for her mom. We want for her to be here when our baby is born. Can't say yet what the Consulate will do. It's a toss, I guess. All depending on who she will deal with and what mood that person is in. We've got a pretty solid case, I think, but that means little if the CO feels differently.

We should know something within the next month or two. I'll share our experience.

Timeline

Thanks Reinard,

How is Nani doing with the pregnancy? Hope not too much sickness. Please post your experience. I will too. We will be praying like crazy that we get a decent fair officer. Take care. Sonya

Thanks Reinard,

How is Nani doing with the pregnancy? Hope not too much sickness. Please post your experience. I will too. We will be praying like crazy that we get a decent fair officer. Take care. Sonya

Nani is doing great. She gained almost 10lbs thus far (16 weeks along). No more sickness, no complaints. She's eating good and taking her vitamins and fluids. We're going for walks most evenings. Just gotta go and get some of that maternity wear now. Her stomach really starts to grow. She's so excited about that little baby inside her. As am I. Can't wait for the baby to arrive.

And yes, we're hoping for a fair shot with her mom's visa. It would just be the greatest thing to have her here for when the baby is born and the first few weeks after that. It would be so much help...

Cheers!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Hey African Crew,

Has anyone successfully helped an elderly inlaw get a visitor's visa to the US? We are looking to try to get my mother-in-law over for a visit, and need some advice from successful petitioner's who went through the AWFUL Lagos embassy. We hope her chances are good since she owns her own home and gets a retirement pension there. Her youngest son is still there who she is putting through school, so that is another definite tie. So she will take all of that info in addition to photos of our home here and all of our documents. So give me feedback people. Sonya

We have not done this yet and I have heard from others how hard it is, but I have a friend from Nigeria that is a US citizen now. He got both of his parents visitors visas from the Lagos consulate.

Best of luck

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

Its my first time here at this forum and it feels like I am amongst friends. To help you with your question, my grandmom who is about 75 was approved for a visa last month to come during the summer. Fortunately for her her children are quite well off and they did not bother her at all.

The catch however is that her visa is valid for only one month. Of which I heard she was quite lucky that they do not issue visas to adults over the age of 65.

The reputation of the U.S Embassy is horrendous, so horrendous that there was an article about them in the NY Times last year. I will join you in praying that the Lord grants you a miracle in this situation.

As long as she has property back in Nigeria and can show that she has the financial resources to sustain herself throughout the duration of her stay, I don't see any problems. (I doubt that the American Embassy will agree)

All the best.

N 400 Journey

Sent Package-12/13/2008 VSC

Biometrics - 01/07/09

Original Interview Date - 04/07/09 (File has not arrived)

Interview Date - 05/13/09

Oath Letter Received - 06/11/09

USC - 07/02/09

Passport/PC (Expedited) -07/02/09

Passport/PC Received - 07/11/09

Wow,

No one with a successful visitor's visa from Lagos. That only speaks to the obvious racism and discrimmination that goes on in that embassy. Makes me very angry but what can you do when the root of it starts with our own government. Oh well, prayerfully God will give us success, and I can share with others so you too can get A relative maybe two, over for a visit. Keep us in your prayers. Sonya

Besangin, i spoke to my husband about your posting and he said that your mother in law shouldn't encounter any problems with the visitor's visa. He also went on to tell me that if a woman over the age of 45 goes for a visa to the USA, she is more than likely to get it. They feel she has ties back at home and will not want to stay in the USA at her age. He also told me that even for the visa lottery, the older women are automatically granted the visa. They do have to go to an interview, but nothing is really asked as opposed to someone younger going for the same visa.

Now as to your posting about "the root of it starts with our own government." I know i will get so much flack about this but i have to state my opinion on it. I don't feel it starts with OUR government. I feel it starts with all foreigners that come here and do corrupt things and they are the ones that make it bad for everyone else. At our AOS interview, the CO told us that normally when we file to lift conditions within the 90 day timeframe as they give us, most people do not have to go thru an interview, but when they see that the foreign spouse is a NIGERIAN citizen, a red flag goes up and some are asked to come in for an interview. Now to be honest with you, nigerians, make it bad for a lot of people. Do u realize how many countries does not want Nigerians there? I can't say much for other foreignes, but being married to a Naija man and discussing these things with him, I can see why the embassy does some of the things they do. We all know that Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. And most of them will do anything to be able to get out of that country even if it means faking a legal document. Fellow VJ'ers please note that this is my own personal opinion and am not trying to bash Nigerians.

A good marriage begins when both partners feel they got better than they deserve~~~~~~~~~~~~~

K1 TIMELINE

09/23/2003...NOA1(TSC)

02/05/2004...NOA2

02/16/2004...NVC CLEARED

03/09/2004...PACKET RECEIVED(FIANCEE PICKED UP)

06/07/2004...INTERVIEW DATE(SUCCESSFULL.....GOD IS IN CONTROL)

06/10/2004...VISA IN HAND

06/25/2004...USA ARRIVAL

06/29/2004...Applied for SSN

07/06/2004...Applied for Job(SUCCESS)

07/12/2004...SSN arrived in mail

07/15/2004...Began new Job

08/11/2004...WEDDING DATE....(Court)

09/15/2004...EAD & I-485 filed(via infopass)

09/27/2004...EAD & I-485 Receipt date

10/01/2004...NOA 1

10/08/2004...Received Driver's License

11/22/2004...Biometrics

12/27/2004...EAD approval

12/31/2004...EAD card arrives

01/01/2005...Church Wedding(Happy New Year!!!)

03/29/2005...I-485 interview(APPROVED!!!)

04/08/2005...Green Card arrival

12/29/2006...Lift Conditions pending(90 day advance filing)

Timeline

Wow,

Besangin, i spoke to my husband about your posting and he said that your mother in law shouldn't encounter any problems with the visitor's visa. He also went on to tell me that if a woman over the age of 45 goes for a visa to the USA, she is more than likely to get it. They feel she has ties back at home and will not want to stay in the USA at her age. He also told me that even for the visa lottery, the older women are automatically granted the visa. They do have to go to an interview, but nothing is really asked as opposed to someone younger going for the same visa.

Now as to your posting about "the root of it starts with our own government." I know i will get so much flack about this but i have to state my opinion on it. I don't feel it starts with OUR government. I feel it starts with all foreigners that come here and do corrupt things and they are the ones that make it bad for everyone else. At our AOS interview, the CO told us that normally when we file to lift conditions within the 90 day timeframe as they give us, most people do not have to go thru an interview, but when they see that the foreign spouse is a NIGERIAN citizen, a red flag goes up and some are asked to come in for an interview. Now to be honest with you, nigerians, make it bad for a lot of people. Do u realize how many countries does not want Nigerians there? I can't say much for other foreignes, but being married to a Naija man and discussing these things with him, I can see why the embassy does some of the things they do. We all know that Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. And most of them will do anything to be able to get out of that country even if it means faking a legal document. Fellow VJ'ers please note that this is my own personal opinion and am not trying to bash Nigerians.

Sweetee,

Thanks for that info. Your point is true and valid. Yes, they do bring it upon themselves, absolutely no arguments there, but I think there should be better policing there to make sure that they are adjudicating fairly and not denying those who should get one and approving the the vile, cunning, and manipulative ones who should be buried under the jail. I guess it's that way everywhere. You have evil people no matter what there nationality or color of their skin. Sonya

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wow,

Ya I agree. I always hear alot of bad stuff about Nigerian's. I don't know how true it is. It seems like a few bad apples have made it bad for the whole barrel. It actually makes my heart hurt, whenever someone reminds me about some Nigerian that they know that did this or that. Anyway I see your point Sweetee. I guess there is not much anyone can do eccept to live the best life we can.

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

I feel it starts with all foreigners that come here and do corrupt things and they are the ones that make it bad for everyone else.

:thumbs::yes:

And it ain't just Nigerians either. Ethiopians are just as suspect in these matters. And there are more. And not just Africans. It's a problem that exists all over the world. ;)

Okay, the papers are on their way over to MIL. Should arrive mid next week and we hope the fund transfer has worked by then as well (this is the first time I sent a USD wire to Africa via my employer). Should work fine and @ $40.00 flat rate is much cheaper than using WU or MoneyGram since it was a rather large transfer. Anyhow, once both funds and papers arrived, it'll be showtime at the Consulate.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I too would like to apply for a visa for my mother-in-law to come and visit me and her grandson, I haven't really started looking into yet, she said she'd like to come in about 2-years. So if someone finds out the procedure please share.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

Timeline

Great news Reinhard!!! Prayers and BEST WISHES!!! My MIL is 5/22. We will see what happens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.