Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,975 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline
1 minute ago, blooper1899 said:

Nope, they requested SV in the end of Jan 2024, but still waiting to hear anything. 

Oh so a month passed, maybe it’s coming soon? Are you Fulbright correct? I saw someone on FB posted their case status and it seems that theirs was requested on Jan 10 and in Feb like 10th I think sponsor views were received and they got FR like last week end of February. Their case is from January 2023. 

On 3/1/2024 at 2:21 AM, flyonearth said:

Does anyone know what's going on at USCIS? Their I-612 processing time is drastically getting longer. When I applied, the processing time was 10 months and they have been increasing it to 15.5 months....I feel so hopeless with the process.

Hi everyone.
Is it that bad? I am waiting on USCIS to process I-612 for hardship, received August 24th 2023.
My lawyer thinks we should hear back this month, and that DOS will take couple months - but from what I see here it does not look to be a case.
Is anyone else waiting for I-612 for hardship? Since when?

1 minute ago, Kel-Thuzad said:

Hi everyone.
Is it that bad? I am waiting on USCIS to process I-612 for hardship, received August 24th 2023.
My lawyer thinks we should hear back this month, and that DOS will take couple months - but from what I see here it does not look to be a case.
Is anyone else waiting for I-612 for hardship? Since when?

Your attorney is very optimistic. I-612 is taking 15,5 months now. When I applied in 2022 It took exactly 12 months to hear back from them. Good luck! 

On 5/4/2023 at 7:49 AM, HardshipWaiverApr said:

Hello all,

My case looks like below does anyone know why there is 2 sponsor views status and what does it mean? I just have government funding from DOS.

IMG_6425.jpeg

Hey what happened with your case? Did you get a favorable recommendation? I am currently in the same stage. 

Timeline

Question does anyone know if I have to send another statement because of change of address? Obviously we have new bills and new mortgage info-which is more than before and I moved across the country from the East to West coast… my lawyer says that it will postpone the process but that doesn't really matter since everyone changes addresses etc what's important are the medical factors at least in my case… 

On 3/4/2024 at 10:40 PM, Sabina Bart said:

Oh so a month passed, maybe it’s coming soon? Are you Fulbright correct? I saw someone on FB posted their case status and it seems that theirs was requested on Jan 10 and in Feb like 10th I think sponsor views were received and they got FR like last week end of February. Their case is from January 2023. 

Yes, I was Fulbright. They received SV on Feb 1, but only updated my case in March, don't know if that's good or bad.

Still don't know their final decision, but probably soon. 

On 3/5/2024 at 7:52 PM, Kel-Thuzad said:

Then I will have no choice to leave the country to apply for O-1 visa; Hopefully I am not getting stuck in Administrative Processing forever.
Then couple of years working under O-1, I suppose...

I have O1 visa now. You can change your status within the country, my lawyer was successful in that. I transitioned from F1 to O1, and did not have to leave the US. So talk to a lawyer about this!

18 hours ago, Sabina Bart said:

Question does anyone know if I have to send another statement because of change of address? Obviously we have new bills and new mortgage info-which is more than before and I moved across the country from the East to West coast… my lawyer says that it will postpone the process but that doesn't really matter since everyone changes addresses etc what's important are the medical factors at least in my case… 

I changed address too, last August. I had to send a form to both USCIS and DOS. I don't know if it postponed the process, maybe, but I wanted to be safe, and my lawyer was pretty adamant about submitting change of address. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, blooper1899 said:

Yes, I was Fulbright. They received SV on Feb 1, but only updated my case in March, don't know if that's good or bad.

Still don't know their final decision, but probably soon. 

Oh so where is the case now? They received sponsor views or still requested? When did they receive your forms from uscis? Are you from 2022?

39 minutes ago, blooper1899 said:

I have O1 visa now. You can change your status within the country, my lawyer was successful in that. I transitioned from F1 to O1, and did not have to leave the US. So talk to a lawyer about this!

WOW, I am SUPER curious now.

Were you under 212e and transitioned from F1 (did you have J1 before?) to O1 without leaving the USA? Can you give me more details how did you do it - it looks like this benefit is not available for ones who are under 212e.
If there are ways, it would help me very much...

Edited by Kel-Thuzad

19 minutes ago, Kel-Thuzad said:

it looks like this benefit is not available for ones who are under 212e

I checked more online and only found that maybe people who are already under some OTHER visa may be able to adjust their status, but not people who are currently under the J1 visa subject to 212e... 

Timeline
20 hours ago, blooper1899 said:

I changed address too, last August. I had to send a form to both USCIS and DOS. I don't know if it postponed the process, maybe, but I wanted to be safe, and my lawyer was pretty adamant about submitting change of address. 

Makes sense I sent that too, but did you have to send like a new statement with new like house bills etc? My lawyer told me they don’t need that because I remember I gave so many bills and financial chart etc etc, I have kiddos too so I have to show a lot of the financial stuff. So anyways I only submitted change of address and nothing else like I didn’t write a new statement showing I have a new mortgage, honestly which is more and just created even more hardship. 

Timeline
Just now, Sabina Bart said:

Makes sense I sent that too, but did you have to send like a new statement with new like house bills etc? My lawyer told me they don’t need that because I remember I gave so many bills and financial chart etc etc, I have kiddos too so I have to show a lot of the financial stuff. So anyways I only submitted change of address and nothing else like I didn’t write a new statement showing I have a new mortgage, honestly which is more and just created even more hardship. 

The reason she said don’t add more evidence, (btw I have over 200 pages of evidence don’t ask me how it’s possible it’s a lot for sure) she was concerned it will postpone it so I didn’t send it left as is, I mean I changed my address late last year to be honest when I started the process I obviously lived in a different place. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.