webb_jonas

Sponsor views requested but not received by sponsor

14 posts in this topic

J1 visa waiver: Sponsor views not received by sponsor after 3 months?

I'm applying for the J1 visa waiver via non-objection from my home country (Portugal).
On the J1 visa waiver site I saw that the DOS sent a "sponsor views" request in august 2021.
My sponsor has not received an email nor letter with the request.
I emailed the DOS twice about this but got no response.
My J1 visa expires January 2021. What can I do?

Is your sponsor an agency within the US?

DOS does have communication problems. My case had been stuck for a while because the agency sent their response but DOS misplaced it. I ended up contacting the agency and they sent them again. 

It could be that DOS sent a request to the wrong email (I guess they use email, but who knows, it could be paper or fax). They definitely need to check. 

I'd keep trying DOS. Remember to put your info at the top of your email.

Case number: 

Last Name: 

First Name: 

DOB: 

POB: 

Basis of the waiver: No Objection

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, webb_jonas said:

Thank you Coco. 

My sponsor is a non-profit that works with a US agency and universities.

They usually receive an email from DOS for other people on J1 visas. But they didnt get one for my case!

I fear that insisting too much on DOS will make my case look worse.

I don't think that insisting will make stuff worse. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, webb_jonas said:

Would you advise that my current J1 sponsor send a letter with sponsor views to the DOS (even if they didn't receive the request?) I've contacted the DOS and it's been 3 months since they "sent their request for sponsor views". 

You can try, but I don't know what information they have to put on the sponsor views. Maybe they have to fill in a form or they need a number.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

• 9 months later...
On 11/29/2021 at 7:13 PM, Coco8 said:

You can try, but I don't know what information they have to put on the sponsor views. Maybe they have to fill in a form or they need a number.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Hi. Sorry for open this discussion again. Dou you know if DOS will request a sponsor views no matter when you were sponsored by US government? I was sponsored by NIH in my previous J1 8 years ago and it was such a small amount and my new J1 is not sponsored by NIH so I didn’t think they will request a sponsor views bc I went back to my home country and stayed there for years. 

thanks for any information 

7 hours ago, Snore22 said:

Hi. Sorry for open this discussion again. Dou you know if DOS will request a sponsor views no matter when you were sponsored by US government? I was sponsored by NIH in my previous J1 8 years ago and it was such a small amount and my new J1 is not sponsored by NIH so I didn’t think they will request a sponsor views bc I went back to my home country and stayed there for years. 

thanks for any information 

Yeah, it doesn't matter how far back it was, they will ask for sponsor views.

15 hours ago, Coco8 said:

Yeah, it doesn't matter how far back it was, they will ask for sponsor views.

Hi. 
thanks I didn’t know that! But because I went back to my home country and stayed over the 2 year rule after my period at NIH, their rule about giving or not favorable recommendation based on job offer doesn’t really apply right? Because I fulfilled the 2 year requirement of that J1 correct? So, In theory I should receive favorable recommendation from NIH no matter what correct? 
Do you have any idea? 

thanks ☺️ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, Snore22 said:

Hi. 
thanks I didn’t know that! But because I went back to my home country and stayed over the 2 year rule after my period at NIH, their rule about giving or not favorable recommendation based on job offer doesn’t really apply right? Because I fulfilled the 2 year requirement of that J1 correct? So, In theory I should receive favorable recommendation from NIH no matter what correct? 
Do you have any idea? 

thanks ☺️ 

If you fulfilled the 2 years then you don't need a waiver.

Why would you ask for one? 

If you need a visa, you just go to your visa interview with proof that you completed the 2 years in your country (like information of where you lived, passport stamps, etc) and that's it. 

Edited by Coco8

5 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

If you fulfilled the 2 years then you don't need a waiver.

Why would you ask for one? 

If you need a visa, you just go to your visa interview with proof that you completed the 2 years in your country (like information of where you lived, passport stamps, etc) and that's it. 

Because I came again in a J1 visa. But it’s not sponsor by NIH or any other US gov inst. 

but I guess bc I was sponsor by NIH before they ask for sponsor views anyway. And NIH gave favorable recom. 

On 10/6/2022 at 4:27 PM, Snore22 said:

Because I came again in a J1 visa. But it’s not sponsor by NIH or any other US gov inst. 

but I guess bc I was sponsor by NIH before they ask for sponsor views anyway. And NIH gave favorable recom. 

I understand you came in a J1 visa. But if you have been 2 years in your home country you don't need a waiver at all. You have already completed the 2 years. 

So what I am saying is that you do not need a waiver. You already spent 2 years in your country. You can simply go to the consulate and get whatever visa you want.

2 hours ago, Coco8 said:

I understand you came in a J1 visa. But if you have been 2 years in your home country you don't need a waiver at all. You have already completed the 2 years. 

So what I am saying is that you do not need a waiver. You already spent 2 years in your country. You can simply go to the consulate and get whatever visa you want.

But I came again in 2019 as a J1 visa and I’m in the US since then as aJ1 visa holder, so I’m again subject to 2 years home residency right? Bc of that I’ll need a waiver to my current J1 visa right? 

19 hours ago, Snore22 said:

But I came again in 2019 as a J1 visa and I’m in the US since then as aJ1 visa holder, so I’m again subject to 2 years home residency right? Bc of that I’ll need a waiver to my current J1 visa right? 

If you have another J1 then yes, but you don't need a waiver for the first J1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.