Carlawarla

Sicko

123 posts in this topic

Gene and I are big fans of Michael Moore. On Tuesday, while still on vacation days, we thought we'd take in a matinee and see Sicko. I'm still trying to process the movie. I bawled through most of it. I'm so ashamed of this health care system. It is now my system. My word...

Anyone seen the movie? Maybe we can process this together? I think my posting cannot reflect the utter despair I feel, and the shame I feel that people can treat others like this. So I'm making this short and sweet. (for now!) :)

Carla (F)

Edited by cartoboy123
carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I so want to see the movie.. Hubby is not so crazy about Mr. Moore - I'm not sure if I'll get him out to see it or not :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Timeline
Gene and I are big fans of Michael Moore. On Tuesday, while still on vacation days, we thought we'd take in a matinee and see Sicko. I'm still trying to process the movie. I bawled through most of it. I'm so ashamed of this health care system. It is now my system. My word...

Anyone seen the movie? Maybe we can process this together? I think my posting cannot reflect the utter despair I feel, and the shame I feel that people can treat others like this. So I'm making this short and sweet. (for now!) :)

Carla (F)

Carla,

Indeed, it always surprises me how bad people can treat people.- Have not seen the movie, but can totally share your despair: what can I say? I am a hopeless romantic and think that we're in this world to help each other out.

Cheer up my friend, L.

p.s. GOOD that you posted this on the Canada forum, in OT it would have gone ballistic!!!! :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Carla (F)

Carla,

Indeed, it always surprises me how bad people can treat people.- Have not seen the movie, but can totally share your despair: what can I say? I am a hopeless romantic and think that we're in this world to help each other out.

Cheer up my friend, L.

p.s. GOOD that you posted this on the Canada forum, in OT it would have gone ballistic!!!! :thumbs:

No truer words have been typed! As for the movie...I want to see it, but...I would most likely be in the same situation as Carla...I would cry through the whole movie. Michael Moore is an awesome documentarist (right term?) and isn't afraid to "tell it like it is" no matter how bad. Penn and Teller are just as blunt. I'm the USC and I'm just as horrified....

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline
No truer words have been typed! As for the movie...I want to see it, but...I would most likely be in the same situation as Carla...I would cry through the whole movie. Michael Moore is an awesome documentarist (right term?) and isn't afraid to "tell it like it is" no matter how bad. Penn and Teller are just as blunt. I'm the USC and I'm just as horrified....

#######?!?!?!?!?!?!? No, it's not the right term Karen :angry:, so now I will have to shoot you, bash you :bonk:, and insult :ranting: you.... :oops:, sorry, wrong forum - ;)

I LOVE Penn & Teller!!!! They're fabulous!!!! We should meet someday, girl, I like how you think!!!!!! :thumbs:

Peace, L.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

#######?!?!?!?!?!?!? No, it's not the right term Karen :angry: , so now I will have to shoot you, bash you :bonk: , and insult :ranting: you.... :oops: , sorry, wrong forum - ;)

I LOVE Penn & Teller!!!! They're fabulous!!!! We should meet someday, girl, I like how you think!!!!!! :thumbs:

Peace, L.

ROFLMAO! Aye, sounds as if we're right thinkers (to coin a phrase from Almaty) ;)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

I so want to see the movie.. Hubby is not so crazy about Mr. Moore - I'm not sure if I'll get him out to see it or not :(

Yeah I got the same here. I guess americans dont like to be the target of a critic. Where are you at lets go together :P

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Michael Moore is out to make money. You don't see him sharing it with anyone. He doesn't do anything to make the country better. He just likes to report the worse case scenario and scare people. Actually, I've noticed that he doesn't have any proof for a lot of the things he's speculating on. We definitely need to make some big changes. I don't like the health care system either but it is overburdened and taking care of people who have never paid into the system. When a few people put in and everyone takes out it's gonna be crappy.

Sheila and John

Wow that last comment just made me feel like I was in the Off-topic section :lol: Is this still canada forum ? :hehe:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Moore may embellish on the truth just a bit......I think any movie that makes me sit and think about it's message for a long time after, is well worth my time. One that makes me do something about what I saw, is a gem.

I have not eaten McDonald's since seeing "Supersize Me." Never EVER will again.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Michael Moore is out to make money. You don't see him sharing it with anyone. He doesn't do anything to make the country better. He just likes to report the worse case scenario and scare people. Actually, I've noticed that he doesn't have any proof for a lot of the things he's speculating on. We definitely need to make some big changes. I don't like the health care system either but it is overburdened and taking care of people who have never paid into the system. When a few people put in and everyone takes out it's gonna be crappy.

Have you even seen the movie Geraghty? If you had, you would know that Michael payed the health care costs anonymously of his most vocal dissident who has a website about him. He also contributes to MANY charities. His movie was basically about a very corrupt HMO political fiasco that is called health care here in the US. One of the biggest changes that could come about is attitudes and beliefs!! Espeically one from the "ME" to the "WE"!!!

"...but it is overburdened and taking care of people who have never paid into the system..."

The above is exactly the attitude to which I speak....What happened to caring for our fellow man? What happened with taking care of people when they're down? These are PEOPLE for gosh sakes. I don't care who paid what when!

Health care should be universal. It is not only in Canada, but in Great Britian and France to name a few. I would suggest that if BILLIONS weren't spent on military expenses, and money being THROWN to "friends" in the pharmaceutical industry, there would be plenty of money around to offer universal health care in the US.

Just MHO.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Moore may embellish on the truth just a bit......I think any movie that makes me sit and think about it's message for a long time after, is well worth my time. One that makes me do something about what I saw, is a gem.

I have not eaten McDonald's since seeing "Supersize Me." Never EVER will again.

Ditto about Mcdonald. And it got reinforced when my huband's ex was telling him she had no money to buy clothes for the boys. She had forgot to change her password to her bank account and he peaked just out of curiosity, and found out she was spending an average of 250$ at Mcdonald every month, add to this about 90 of Wendy's. He knew she couldnt cook good meals but it got worse after their separation. So 300$ in fast food, sometimes 2-3 times in the same day.

I dont know if looked at the special features on the DVD but there is a test with the food. They took burgers and fries from some aroudn the corner places and Mcdonals and put them all at room temperature under glass bells. Some of the around the corner pieces rotten within few days. Took like 2-3 weeks for MCshit and after 8 weeks the MC fries were still intact. They never knew what happened to it because some maintenance girl put it into garbage but still......makes me wonder what is in those fries.

Sorry I'm getting off topic here, back to Sicko!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Have you even seen the movie Geraghty? If you had, you would know that Michael payed the health care costs anonymously of his most vocal dissident who has a website about him. He also contributes to MANY charities. His movie was basically about a very corrupt HMO political fiasco that is called health care here in the US. One of the biggest changes that could come about is attitudes and beliefs!! Espeically one from the "ME" to the "WE"!!!

"...but it is overburdened and taking care of people who have never paid into the system..."

The above is exactly the attitude to which I speak....What happened to caring for our fellow man? What happened with taking care of people when they're down? These are PEOPLE for gosh sakes. I don't care who paid what when!

Health care should be universal. It is not only in Canada, but in Great Britian and France to name a few. I would suggest that if BILLIONS weren't spent on military expenses, and money being THROWN to "friends" in the pharmaceutical industry, there would be plenty of money around to offer universal health care in the US.

Just MHO.

Carla (F)

Yah, well, Twinkies have a shelf life of like 20 years and I still eat them. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

That is kind of nasty about that testing you are talking about. Now, my skin is crawling.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

I honestly don't see any documentary as being "a ploy to make money". I think the point of a documentary is to show a particular topic to people so that they can gain knowledge about the topic that they may not have had before.

While Moore can be rather biased (hey, who isn't?), I think the whole point is to show that the health care system in the US has its disadvantages - he's making a comparison about the US health care system to other countries and showing that it's less ineffective than people would like to believe.

I'll go see the movie, but watching it with a grain of salt because you can't believe absolutely everything you see. The point is to formulate your own opinions, too.

For the most part, my USC fiance is also incredibly dissatisfied with the health care system in the US - simply because health care should be made affordable to everyone.

I just don't think it's fair to say that some people should suffer for their illnesses simply because they can't afford to see a doctor.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah I got the same here. I guess americans dont like to be the target of a critic. Where are you at lets go together :P

Tee hee... My hubby thinks he's EXTREMELY biased and has an agenda... which I agree with in regards to Fahrenheit 9-11.. he did appear to have an axe to grind esp against Pres. Bush.. HOWEVER.. i LOVED Bowling for Columbine - and thought it was a very thought provoking piece..

That sounds GREAT!! I'm in CT though.. :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.