Tella&T

Transiting through Heathrow process

7 posts in this topic

Is there someone here who transited through Heathrow from the US to Europe recently? I know I have to have a valid Covid test to board the plane in the US but I wonder if the rapid test is ok. I also cannot quite figure out what happens if I have to go through immigration in London. I want to fly AA but then switch to a different airline while in London Heathrow. I have done it before and I always had to get the boarding pass for the Europe  flight in London airport, not in the US. That's why I think they will make me go through the immigration. Any experiences will be appreciated!

ROC:  Received Jan 25 2021    NOA 1: February 25 2021 (LIN/Nebraska).    BIOMETRICS: April 30  2021
APPROVED: June 23 2021     CARD DELIVERED:   June 30 2021

AOS:          Received Date:  April 2      NOA 1:  April 5 2018
Biometrics:  April 27  Fingerprint Review Was Completed:  April 30
Case Ready to be scheduled: May 3
( that update only showed up in August! after being notified about EAD&AP )
EAD&AP  We approved your case:  August 8   /  In the mailbox:  August 16 2018
Interview   -    March 14 2019    (
Notice Date:  February 1)  -   Approved!

And these are the test requirements for the UK, make sure your test is valid also for your destination and any other layovers:

"You will need to find a test provider. You must make sure that the test provider can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:

• a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
  • an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device"

6 hours ago, Bug&Bug said:

And these are the test requirements for the UK, make sure your test is valid also for your destination and any other layovers:

"You will need to find a test provider. You must make sure that the test provider can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.

The test must meet performance standards of ≥97% specificity, ≥80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.

This could include tests such as:

• a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests
  • an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device"

Thanks! I found the info you provided but wanted personal experience. For example if the US rapid antigen test is accepted in the UK or not. I did not find the info on the specificity or sensitivity of the US one. 

ROC:  Received Jan 25 2021    NOA 1: February 25 2021 (LIN/Nebraska).    BIOMETRICS: April 30  2021

10 hours ago, Bug&Bug said:

There is not a "us rapid test",  check the rapid test place you are planing to get it with will give you a proper predeparture test and certificate. 

From Philadelphia airport's website : " Most destinations that have COVID-19 restrictions require a negative PCR test result within 72 hour of travel to exempt the traveler from a mandatory quarantine. Therefore, if your destination requires a PCR test, you should choose the PCR Test. If your destination does not require a PCR test you may choose an Antigen Rapid test. " = US rapid test. That is what I'm trying to find out if that test is good enough for boarding the plane to Heathrow. The result of this test is available in an hour while a PCR takes up to 48 hours. 

21 minutes ago, Tella&T said:

From Philadelphia airport's website : " Most destinations that have COVID-19 restrictions require a negative PCR test result within 72 hour of travel to exempt the traveler from a mandatory quarantine. Therefore, if your destination requires a PCR test, you should choose the PCR Test. If your destination does not require a PCR test you may choose an Antigen Rapid test. " = US rapid test. That is what I'm trying to find out if that test is good enough for boarding the plane to Heathrow. The result of this test is available in an hour while a PCR takes up to 48 hours. 

Rapid antigen test is accepted in the UK as per above as long as it complies with the specificity, sensitivity and you get a certificate, as per above.

You need to confirm with the test provider since it depends on the test provider and not the country where it is undertaken. 

Hope that clarifies. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.