uapilot

Pregnancy and K-1 (not about expedited visa!)

19 posts in this topic

I used the same email for everything, Ultra Docs and embassy. I am the petitioner so they are most likely to respond to me then my fiancé. Also make sure you are sending to the email address KyivIV@state.gov this is the one for K1. Best of luck I know it is very difficult, but you will soon get an interview!! 🙂

4 hours ago, MyLoveAZ said:

I used the same email for everything, Ultra Docs and embassy. I am the petitioner so they are most likely to respond to me then my fiancé. Also make sure you are sending to the email address KyivIV@state.gov this is the one for K1. Best of luck I know it is very difficult, but you will soon get an interview!! 🙂

I am a petitioner and we are in a very similar position. We just missed the cutoff to schedule our appointment for K1 when NVC was forwarding our case to the embassy. They happened to close interviews again (Nov 16th) right before we could get an appointment. I have been writing them asking if there is a way to schedule something, even make an exception for an emergency appointment given that my fiance and I are apart since November 2019 (I had to move back to US and she is in Kyiv). Of course they said that emergency appointments are for life or death situations only...

My question is, what could I say to in my emails to kyivIV to have an unofficial review scheduled like you did?

Edited by kmensh18
clarification

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, kmensh18 said:

I am a petitioner and we are in a very similar position. We just missed the cutoff to schedule our appointment for K1 when NVC was forwarding our case to the embassy. They happened to close interviews again (Nov 16th) right before we could get an appointment. I have been writing them asking if there is a way to schedule something, even make an exception for an emergency appointment given that my fiance and I are apart since November 2019 (I had to move back to US and she is in Kyiv). Of course they said that emergency appointments are for life or death situations only...

My question is, what could I say to in my emails to kyivIV to have an unofficial review scheduled like you did?

I mean, me personally, I wrote multiple times to them and got the same templated response as usual, except for the time we extended our I-129F petition.

I can't speak with authority, but my guess is that, best case, they took note that MyLoveAZ was at the ACS town hall WebEx meeting. But it could very likely be that they were doing K-1 interviews unofficially on a very limited basis, and they were next in line, given that their NOA2 was so long ago.

I have chatted with another fellow in the last few days that got his NOA2 in April, but the Embassy only received their application back in September, and they still haven't been able to schedule their interview. Like I said before, very opaque. 😛

On 2/22/2021 at 7:51 AM, uapilot said:

My fiance and I are sitting around in Kyiv, Ukraine waiting for K visa interviews to resume. We've been putting off getting pregnant (and moving on with our lives) earlier in the immigration process because I've read around the internet that a pregnancy on the medical exam could be grounds for delaying a visa approval pending a paternity test, and in addition to not wanting us to be here any longer than we have to, I didn't want to risk my fiance giving birth in a country with a less than stellar medical system (putting it mildly).

Now though, we have no good indicator of when the Kyiv embassy will resume interviews. Some sources are suggesting because of the backlog of applications, an interview date could be months away even after interviews resume. So we're rethinking our strategy. Still though, if not getting pregnant means we leave in (let's say) 4 months instead of 13 months, we'd choose the former and not the latter.

And so we'd like a conclusive answer to the question: can a pregnancy delay a visa approval because of the question of paternity? And is it absolute, or only in cases where it's suspected that the child isn't mine? And if it's the latter, what proof do I need to provide? Is there an Affidavit of Support I can fill out for an unborn child?

If I need to provide proof of entry, will ticket stubs be enough? I am in a peculiar situation in that I have passports for both the US and Ukraine, and so I leave the US on my US passport and enter Ukraine on my Ukrainian one. And since neither country stamps their own passport, I don't have any entry stamps into Ukraine (or exits from the US) to indicate that I am in Ukraine right now. I do have an entry/exit stamp in my US passport from when I entered Turkey in March and hopped on a boat to Ukraine.

I appreciate any advice!

It could actually help by showing that the relationship is bonafide. I know of a case where the visa was approved without being asked for paternity. A safeguard is the beneficiary writing a letter to attest that the baby is his, if needed. That should do it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.