cdngrl

I-131 Advance Parole questions

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, my story in a nutshell:

I came in to the USA from Canada on my K1 visa this past May and have recently married and now reside in the USA. My husband and I applied for my AOS and my EAD and I am now thinking of applying for this I-131 so that I can go with my husband to BC for a work conference this fall and so that I can go back to Ontario early next summer for a wedding.

So, my questions are:

1) In the form I-131, I am applying for 'advance parole' and NOT a 'reentry permit' right?

2) In question 3, what class of admission am I?

3) How long does this take to get?

4) Has anyone had any issues crossing the border with the 'advance' parole document?

OK.. I think that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks,

~linda

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
OK, my story in a nutshell:

I came in to the USA from Canada on my K1 visa this past May and have recently married and now reside in the USA. My husband and I applied for my AOS and my EAD and I am now thinking of applying for this I-131 so that I can go with my husband to BC for a work conference this fall and so that I can go back to Ontario early next summer for a wedding.

So, my questions are:

1) In the form I-131, I am applying for 'advance parole' and NOT a 'reentry permit' right?

2) In question 3, what class of admission am I?

3) How long does this take to get?

4) Has anyone had any issues crossing the border with the 'advance' parole document?

OK.. I think that's all the questions I have for now. Thanks,

~linda

Hi Linda

I'm sending off my aos package this week with the I-131 included... yes,you are applying for 'advanced parole' -reentry permit i believe is only if you have already before applied and received this and are renewing. As for class of admission..i also posted this question on here a while back and never got an answer,so i just filled it in "visitor" since that is how i entered and is my current status here so far. It should take about 3 months to receive the advanced parole,from what i have been told.I haven't heard of any cases with someone having a problem at the border with this document,but i have heard poeple say to only use it if you really have to,because apparantly there is some risk of there being a problem. I'm hoping to get my AP by october so i can visit fam in BC,and i know i'll flip if i have a problem getting back in!

Hope i have been of some help,

Jessica

11/22/06- entered US as a visitor from Canada

05/04/07 -married

06/28/07- AOS/EAD/AP- mailed

06/29/07- package received

07/09/07- checks cashed

07/10/07- NOA1 for I-130

07/12/07- NOA1 for AOS,EAD

07/12/07- biometrics letter received

07/13/07 -rfe payment for I-131 ,wrong amount

07/14/07- touched-485 &130

07/17/07- rfe sent for I-131

07/21/07- rfe for W2s/tax info..guess they lost it

07/31/07- biometrics appt

08/01/07- EAD touched

08/07/07- rfe sent for 485

08/10/07- rfe received,485 processing resumed

08/22/07- receive letter for interview 11/20/07

08/25/07- AP approved and received

09/07/07- EAD card received

10/17/07- received SSN (took about a week after applying)

11/20/07- Interview- more evidence requested

12/14/07- Evidence submitted.....waiting...

12/26/07- Approval notice sent/ Card production ordered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.