WiKa19

Previous Asylee - N400 Questions

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Boyfriend and I are working on his N-400 form. He came to the US when he was 17, EWI, and was detained in juvenile detention center from 10/12-12/12. He was granted asylum in 02/15 and and then received his lawful permanent residence in 03/16. Now since it has been 5 years he is applying to become USC.

I mostly would like your feedback to make sure we are filling things out correctly.

Question 23 in Section 12 asks "Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including immigration official or any official of the US armed forces) for any reason?

We check Yes, then in item 29 said the following:

Why: Entered US without inspection 

Date: 10/2012

Where: Hidalgo Texas, US

Outcome: detained released and Asylum was later granted 

Question 34 in section 12 asks, "Have you ever been ordered removed, excluded, or deported from the United States?

We checked yes

Question 35 in section 12 asks, "Have you ever been placed in removal, exclusion, rescission, or deportation proceedings?

We checked yes

The forms states that if we responded yes to any of these questions then we need to include an explanation on another sheet of paper that provides support to his answer. Our response would be something along the line of:

"Please find below written explanations for answering yes to questions 34 and 35 in section 12 of the N-400 form.

I, NAME, was detained as a minor on 10/XX/2012 in Hidalgo, Texas. I was transferred to the Southwest Key Mesa detention center in Houston, Texas. I was detained there until 12/12 after which I was released. It is my understanding that at that time, deportation proceedings were placed against me.  These proceedings were later terminated on 03/31/2015 because I was granted asylum by USCIS on 02/2015. 

Thank you,

NAME"

Does this sound correct to you guys or should we be including additional information?

As a side note, it is my understanding that he is able to fill out the N-400 online...do you guys think it is better that way or should be just send a hard copy with all the additional documentation?

Thanks everyone!

On 8/6/2020 at 4:42 AM, WiKa19 said:

Hi,

Boyfriend and I are working on his N-400 form. He came to the US when he was 17, EWI, and was detained in juvenile detention center from 10/12-12/12. He was granted asylum in 02/15 and and then received his lawful permanent residence in 03/16. Now since it has been 5 years he is applying to become USC.

I mostly would like your feedback to make sure we are filling things out correctly.

Question 23 in Section 12 asks "Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including immigration official or any official of the US armed forces) for any reason?

We check Yes, then in item 29 said the following:

Why: Entered US without inspection 

Date: 10/2012

Where: Hidalgo Texas, US

Outcome: detained released and Asylum was later granted 

Question 34 in section 12 asks, "Have you ever been ordered removed, excluded, or deported from the United States?

We checked yes

Question 35 in section 12 asks, "Have you ever been placed in removal, exclusion, rescission, or deportation proceedings?

We checked yes

The forms states that if we responded yes to any of these questions then we need to include an explanation on another sheet of paper that provides support to his answer. Our response would be something along the line of:

"Please find below written explanations for answering yes to questions 34 and 35 in section 12 of the N-400 form.

I, NAME, was detained as a minor on 10/XX/2012 in Hidalgo, Texas. I was transferred to the Southwest Key Mesa detention center in Houston, Texas. I was detained there until 12/12 after which I was released. It is my understanding that at that time, deportation proceedings were placed against me.  These proceedings were later terminated on 03/31/2015 because I was granted asylum by USCIS on 02/2015. 

Thank you,

NAME"

Does this sound correct to you guys or should we be including additional information?

As a side note, it is my understanding that he is able to fill out the N-400 online...do you guys think it is better that way or should be just send a hard copy with all the additional documentation?

Thanks everyone!

I cannot answer your assylee-specific questions, but all the very best. As for applying online, that is the best option. If you get any additional documentation after submitting the form, you can still go ahead and upload those as and when you get them. Plus, that is the best way to keep track of the status too. Just make sure you take the original documents with you when you go for the interview. Again, all the very best. It must have been a very hard journey for him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.