Henia

Bizarre foods of MENA

106 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
My husband is forever eating liver. BLECH.

I cannot eat pigeon 'cause of the visions but I don't think I'd eat any chicken or foul period over in Egypt just cause I'm afraid of getting bird flu.

I LOVE escargot!!! omg that's my favorite appetizer smothered in butter/garlic sauce that you dip the crusty bread in afterwards. YUM!!!

I like escargot also. First time I had it was from a street vendor in Morocco who was boiling it in a big pot. I wanted to try it but was afraid, so I closed my eyes and opened my mouth, and my fiance dug it out of the shell with a safety pin and fed it to me -- yummy!

Hmm...Doodlebug, my fiance just glanced over, saw your avitar, grinned, and started poking me in the face. He didn't need any ideas :P

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
beignets?

No, those are like fried dough roll thingies, right?

This was crunchy and crumbled in your mouth. It was dipped in some sort of honey syrup stuff.

OK, I also found this website http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recette.c...m_recette=34069

where the same thing is referred to as beignets, so maybe you're right :D

When I think of beignet, though, I think of doughnuts without holes.

I think you're talking about spekie (I don't know how to spell it).

I found a picture, and it's shebbakia or chebbakia:

CebbakiaQelques.jpg

:lol: My fiance just glanced over, saw the picture and screamed CHEBBAKIA! in my ear. So either he needs to stop reading over my shoulder or I need to learn to make that. He said it's for Ramadan.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
i know! my fiance ALWAYS brings up that i should always have tons of almonds in the house and prepare calamari often for that reason! lol

YES! Almonds! You hear that too! Since I'm almost seven months pregnant, and we've been together a little longer, I don't hear him ask me for almonds as much though! hehe!!

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
:lol: My fiance just glanced over, saw the picture and screamed CHEBBAKIA! in my ear. So either he needs to stop reading over my shoulder or I need to learn to make that. He said it's for Ramadan.

Yes, we have it during ramadan, too. Luckily a few of the Arab markets around here sell it, so I don't need to learn how to make it. It seems like it would be difficult, and I'm not much of a baker.

Timeline

Hicham hates almonds. I looove desserts with almond paste or almond extract but he just can't stand it! He must be the only one from MENA who hates almonds!

Timeline
Sheep's stomach, mom used to make soup out of it. It had to be cleaned thoroughly and soaked first. Ugh, remembering the smell makes me want to gag. x.x

Ok I am offically sick and it aint morning sickness~ :x.x:

Alousa that was very kind of you. Glad you are here and we are here to help ((((hugs))))

Heniaaaaaa- I saw your banner the other day!!!!! When are you going to spill the beans? ;)

Hicham hates almonds. I looove desserts with almond paste or almond extract but he just can't stand it! He must be the only one from MENA who hates almonds!

lol nope! my hubby despises almonds and almond flavor. I loooove all the christmas cookies & pastries made with almond extract - hey more for me!

Timeline

lol nope! my hubby despises almonds and almond flavor. I loooove all the christmas cookies & pastries made with almond extract - hey more for me!

Phew, I really thought he was the only one!!!

I have to say that I am not a fan of the chicken or savory dishes with almonds and sugar. But the almond in cookies and cakes is delicious!!!

Timeline

omg my FAVORITE moroccan dish is chicken bastilla with the almonds and sugar (fes style)! my fiance isn't keen on that one though. but i swoon over a good bastilla!

Edited by abdounjen

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Phew, I really thought he was the only one!!!

I have to say that I am not a fan of the chicken or savory dishes with almonds and sugar. But the almond in cookies and cakes is delicious!!!

Ye, me either. Only savoury dish with essentially a sweet spice is bourek. But I cannot do any of the tajines with meat and fruits in them. :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Yup thats a sloppy chebbakia(rose sables)! I have found the recipes in my Moroccan books but it it is too complicated. You need 3 people working together as the chebbakia need to be dipped in honey straight away when cooked and also covered in sesame seeds soon otherwise they will not stick. It is like when they 3assal maqrout. like when we 3assal maqrout. The only difference is you need to sprinkle sesame seeds on them after you dip them in honey. You don't have to dip them in honey straight away, unless you want them to melt in the mouth. If you want them crunchier, you let them cool for a bit before dipping them in tepid honey.Mission impossible. Too much work for something I donot even like. I will take some palmiers anyway.

Anywho basic picture recipe here:

Chebakia-00.JPGChebakia-02.JPGChebakia-03.JPGChebakia-04.JPG

Chebakia-06.JPGChebakia-11.JPGChebakia-12.JPGChebakia-19.JPG

Chebakia-art-43.JPG

Sheep's stomach, mom used to make soup out of it. It had to be cleaned thoroughly and soaked first. Ugh, remembering the smell makes me want to gag. x.x

Ok I am offically sick and it aint morning sickness~ :x.x:

Alousa that was very kind of you. Glad you are here and we are here to help ((((hugs))))

Heniaaaaaa- I saw your banner the other day!!!!! When are you going to spill the beans? ;)

Spill the foul? :lol::whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.