markandoliv

Does my wife (USC) need a job if i have a sponsor that makes over double the required income amount?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, i recently received my employment auth card, and have started working.  I currently make an okay salary however thats useless as far as the aos interview is concerned.  

My wife has been working a terrible job that ruins her mental health, and now im in a position to support us both, i would like her to quit and finish her degree. 

We have a joint sponsor that makes approx 60k with no dependents so im covered for the sponsor, but im wondering, can my wife quit her current job without it meaning a denial at the aos interview?   

Weve been waiting for aos interview since scheduling on october 12th 2019.

TIA

Filed: Timeline

Why is your salary worthless for the 864? You have an EAD. You are the immigrant being sponsored right? Read the 864 form again. Your income can be used....

Anyway- Im blanking out on finding the correct wording to use here but basically you file the 864 and as long as everything on it was accurate when you submitted it and they accepted it- you do not HAVE TO update it. If they dont ask for an updated 864 at the interview OR approve you w/o interview then the 864 they have is what they will use and thats perfectly fine. BUT if they do ask for an updated one or ask if anything changed on it and you tell them it has, which most likely will cause them to ask for an updated one- then you need an updated 864. So fill one out with your income on it and remove hers (if she is not working at the time you are going to be presenting it). It has to be accurate when you submit it. 

Overall since you have a cosponsor it shouldnt matter much if you/you+spouse income qualifies. Im assuming you filed your AOS packet prior to the new 944 public charge stuff right? So they will just be looking at the 864. 

3 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Why is your salary worthless for the 864? You have an EAD. You are the immigrant being sponsored right? Read the 864 form again. Your income can be used....

Anyway- Im blanking out on finding the correct wording to use here but basically you file the 864 and as long as everything on it was accurate when you submitted it and they accepted it- you do not HAVE TO update it. If they dont ask for an updated 864 at the interview OR approve you w/o interview then the 864 they have is what they will use and thats perfectly fine. BUT if they do ask for an updated one or ask if anything changed on it and you tell them it has, which most likely will cause them to ask for an updated one- then you need an updated 864. So fill one out with your income on it and remove hers (if she is not working at the time you are going to be presenting it). It has to be accurate when you submit it. 

Overall since you have a cosponsor it shouldnt matter much if you/you+spouse income qualifies. Im assuming you filed your AOS packet prior to the new 944 public charge stuff right? So they will just be looking at the 864. 

Thanks for the reply!  I thought that my spouse, the US citizen (and the cosponsors income) was all that mattered. Didnt realise my income counted towards anything.   Correct, filed before the changes went into effect.  But yeah, will definitely be taking the updated form just incase they ask for it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.