London88

Loss of job during AOS application- are there any options?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am a UK citizen and have been living and working in the US for the past 2 years on an e-2 visa and recently submitted my application for a family based adjustment of status (am married to a US citizen). Unfortunately the week after I submitted my application the company that I work for announced that it is shutting immediately due to covid-19 (they had previously said it would be closing at the end of the year), so my visa will shortly be invalid after the 60 day grace period. Another company is taking over the business and want to hire me, however as my visa was tied to the old, soon to be defunct,  company I am obviously unable to accept.

I am now in this position where I am about to lose all income and ability to work, but I can't work anywhere else until my i-765 had been processed, which even if i'm able to get a fast track is still going to be months and months. It's my understanding that not only can't I work , but I also can't apply for unemployment and I can't even volunteer. 

Has anyone else found themselves in this position? Is there anything that can be done, or am I just unlucky with how things how played out?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that!

Have you submitted the I-765 along with the I-130 and I-485? Once you have the receipt notice for the I-765, you can try and apply for an expedite with the reason of financial hardship.

You would have to provide documentation that your current employer closes and the job offer of the new company, you might get lucky.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

I'm sorry to hear that!

Have you submitted the I-765 along with the I-130 and I-485? Once you have the receipt notice for the I-765, you can try and apply for an expedite with the reason of financial hardship.

You would have to provide documentation that your current employer closes and the job offer of the new company, you might get lucky.

Thanks, yeah the timing really was unfortunate! 

Yes I submitted the I-765 along with the I-130 and I-485, still haven't received the receipt notice, but it's only been a few weeks. Are you able to submit a request for expedite as soon as you receive the receipt notice?  I read somewhere that you had to wait until you had had your bio-metrics appointment? But not sure if there is any truth in that?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
37 minutes ago, London88 said:

Thanks, yeah the timing really was unfortunate! 

Yes I submitted the I-765 along with the I-130 and I-485, still haven't received the receipt notice, but it's only been a few weeks. Are you able to submit a request for expedite as soon as you receive the receipt notice?  I read somewhere that you had to wait until you had had your bio-metrics appointment? But not sure if there is any truth in that?

Generally yes - but it looks like the ASC are opening soon, there are re-opening dates on the USCIS website.

I would not necessarily wait with the expedite request. During covid, there have been reports of EAD's being issued without fingerprints, and even if they require them, they might expedite you there as well once the centers open.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Quarknase said:

Generally yes - but it looks like the ASC are opening soon, there are re-opening dates on the USCIS website.

I would not necessarily wait with the expedite request. During covid, there have been reports of EAD's being issued without fingerprints, and even if they require them, they might expedite you there as well once the centers open.

Thanks, i'll give that a go and hope for the best 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.