Cndn

Getting a little concerned about being out of the US

1 post in this topic

I’m from Canada. AOS petition currently pending. Currently in Canada staying with a relative. I’m a little concerned about the length of time I have been gone and I’m hoping to hear some stories about others who have stayed out of the US this long and what their experience was. 

I waited forever for my AP card so once it came at the end of last year I came up to visit family a few times (about a week each time). I was pregnant with a toddler and having a really rough time, so I stayed with my mother from oct - dec so she could help me (husband works too much) and then came back to the US to have my baby. I travelled back to Canada in December with my children to stay with my mother again so she could help care for me and the kids (I had a c section which is major surgery and needed the help. Again, my husband works a lot so that’s why he couldn’t help as much as my mom in Canada). The plan was to stay with my mother for 2-3 months tops. 

So around comes March and covid-19 hits. Really scary with 2 young children. My state was hit hard. I decided to stay in Canada where there were far less reports of the virus. Canada and the US border was shut down. Seemed better to stay put. So now I’m two weeks away from having been outside the US for 6 months and I’m worried about it. This is completely due to the pandemic. It seems like this virus does not affect children as badly so even though I’m always going to take every precaution to protect myself and others, I am not as scared of it as I was before. So I want to return to my husband in the US. 

Its not ideal to go back to my husband in the US until July 1st when he moves us into a new house because our landlord sold our rental. It’s a long story to do with the new owner and renovations that is irrelevant to immigration so just take my word for it. 

I’m sorry about the length of this post - I have tried not to ramble on but I’m trying to explain my situation as clearly as possible. 

Is this too long to be outside the US even with the pandemic going on? Does anyone think I’ll have a problem here? Has anyone stayed out this long and not had an issue reentering? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.