rnewton1970

Non-taxable Income I-864

4 posts in this topic

I have a couple of questions about non-taxable income for the I-864.  I filed taxes for the last 2 years (which I found out I was not even required to this year).  However on the 1040, under total income my Social Security (SSDI) does not total into "total income" because I did not have enough other income to make it taxable.  In addition, I have Veterans Compensation above this that I draw for being a 100% service connected disability, which is exempt from being reported on federal taxes.  Do I mark on the Affidavit of Support under the  income section  both the taxes were filed for the last 3 years and the box that my income was below taxable levels?  Also, on question 24 a-c what do I put in the boxes for yearly income there?  In addition, will I need a joint sponsor because all my income was non-taxable?  Also, I draw way above the 125% poverty guidelines that is required for income, but it is all non-taxable.  Thanks for any advice you can give.

9 hours ago, rnewton1970 said:

I have a couple of questions about non-taxable income for the I-864.  I filed taxes for the last 2 years (which I found out I was not even required to this year).  However on the 1040, under total income my Social Security (SSDI) does not total into "total income" because I did not have enough other income to make it taxable.  In addition, I have Veterans Compensation above this that I draw for being a 100% service connected disability, which is exempt from being reported on federal taxes.  Do I mark on the Affidavit of Support under the  income section  both the taxes were filed for the last 3 years and the box that my income was below taxable levels?  Also, on question 24 a-c what do I put in the boxes for yearly income there?  In addition, will I need a joint sponsor because all my income was non-taxable?  Also, I draw way above the 125% poverty guidelines that is required for income, but it is all non-taxable.  Thanks for any advice you can give.

Common man, by looking carefully at the form I'm sure you can figure it out yourself. 

Question #7 asks specifically about your total annual income, regardless of source and type. It will later be part of 20.

From 23 it asks you specifically about income filed on tax returns, which might differ, as obviously in your case, from total yearly income derived.

If you filed tax returns (regardless whether you "had to") that's what you check. In such case do NOT check question 25. 

From what you describe, your #20 (#7) will be higher than your 24a-c. As you can read at the beginning of Part 7, if the amount from #20 (#7 plus other if apply) is higher than 125% of p.g. then (at least in theory) you're good. If you have other assets, don't forget to add them too. It's better to be on the safe side. Treat 125% line as reason for rejection, not approval.

Of course, don't forget to properly document/prove all sources of claimed income.

Edited by Punisher

What do I need to reflect on question 24 a-c total income?  Since I filed taxes and my other income was not high enough for my SSDI  to be counted in total income as taxable and my Veteran compensation is tax exempt?  Thanks again for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 8:38 AM, rnewton1970 said:

What do I need to reflect on question 24 a-c total income?  Since I filed taxes and my other income was not high enough for my SSDI  to be counted in total income as taxable and my Veteran compensation is tax exempt?  Thanks again for the help!

In 24a-c you enter incomes (total or agi) "as reported on Federal tax returns". You are basically reflecting here amounts from your tax returns. That's it. You still need to attach tax returns. It is irrelevant whether you had to file returnss or not, you filed returns so you fill out 24a-c with whatever is in those returns that you filed. All this income, by definition, is "past" year/s.

in part 5 question 7 you enter your entire CURRENT "yearly" income. Annualize whatever you are going to make based on your current employment or other sources, add your SSDI and add VC. That's your total figure for part5 quest.7. 

Remember that you still need to document/prove all these incomes. Use simple math extrapolating currently received checks into annualized basis. No "guesstimates" of big fat checks coming sometime later that you can't prove. So, as an example, if you are currently receiving (per month) let's say $500 for work/other compansation, $1000 for SSDI and $1000 for VC then it annualizes to 12x500 +12x1000 + 12x1000 = 30000 and thats the figure that goes into part.5 quest.7

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.