leila05

Removal of conditional green card after divorce

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a question to ask. I am on a conditional green card and I will file for the removal by my self as I am about to file for divorce. Since I am going to move to another states I was wondering if I can start the process here in California and then transfer the case. Is it possible? And will it cause any delays? Also I will have to start the process with one attorney here and then move the case to another one because I need him/her to come with me to the interview. 
I need to start the process from here because otherwise I will miss the dead line as I am going to move once my conditional green card will be expired already. 
Has anyone been in this situation before? Pls advice and thanks in advance 🙂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

First, do you need an attorney? An attorney can only work in the state they are licensed in so chances may be slim you find one who can practice in both states and I can’t even imagine what they would charge to go out of state for the interview.

You can move during the process you have to remember to update your address with USCIS. If you are filing with a divorce waver you should probably initiate the divorce ASAP as it sounds like your expiration is coming up soon.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Hello Luckycuds,

Thank you for your answer.

I think it is better to do the process with an attorney because it is tricky. My friend tried to attempt to do it by herself and got denied twice until she had to appear in court. Thankfully she found a good attorney in the end that saved her case but she ended up spending much more money because things got more complicated. 

i was thinking to start to apply here with one attorney and then give the case to another attorney once i move. i need to file for divorce asap but the court house is closed due to covid19. I hope everything will go smooth. 

If anyone has been through the process i will appreciate any advice.

Keep safe 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.